PDA

View Full Version : Do I book Merlin in to have his cyst removed?

angieh
20-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Friends of my old Merlin will be familiar with the background to his history (or should I say cystory?)

We went back to see the vet this afternoon and he still recommends that I book Merlin in to have his cyst removed. It is amazing how much better Merlin is after almost a week on antibiotics. The infection from the cyst had really pulled him down and of course, once he stops taking the anti-bi's it will creep up again. I don't think I had realised that his general condition was being so badly influenced by the infection and had almost accepted that it was due to his age - and it wasn't as if he hadn't seen a vet during this time either. It took a new pair of eyes - a new vet - to focus my attention on the cause. Poor old Merlin!

I've been advised to phone the main practice tomorrow and book him in for some time next week. He will have to have a day beforehand on IV and a day after the op on IV to flush out the anaesthetic. He will need to go to the main surgery (about 10 miles away) because they have overnight observation facilities there.

I suppose that if the worst happens and he passes away under the anaesthetic, he won't have known what was happening. If he pulls through, he will have a difficult time having to wear a cone and probably being miserable but could have a much better quality of life after he has recovered.

He has been like his old self these last few days, full of "cattitude" and it would be hard to see him start feeling unwell again when the infection sets in again, and I suppose that is the one certainty.

But it's still very hard to take the decision to make that phone call.

Mags
20-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh Angie, that is one question I am unable to answer ......... you know your lovely Merlin best and I'm sure you will go with your heart and do what you think is best for him. If you have any concern or doubts about the op, if I were you I would talk it through with the vet again and tell him your concerns and then weigh up the pros and cons.

Whatever you choose to do, we know it will be because you love Merlin very much.......... hugs to you and gentle cuddles for Merlin....x

EmmaG
20-06-2008, 06:10 PM
If it was me and having the cyst removed and make him better in the long run I wouldn't hesitate.

Good luck on your decision.

Kazz
20-06-2008, 06:52 PM
That is a big operation by the sounds of it bigger than Cleo's she was in and out same day.

I think in your heart you know what you want to do.

If it were me I would be considering the following

You love him very much and want desperately to do whats best for him. And whatever you do is best for him.

1. The cyst will come bacK.
2. AB's will not get rid of it just sort out the infection caused by it.
3. Infection is what pulls them down, sadly pullling them down lower each time and given Merlin's age like Cleo they have not many rescources to fight back. But AB's work well.
4. The vets would not offer the op if they did not think a fair to good chance that is life will be drasticaly improved quality wise afterwards.
5. Cats recover quickly he may not need the cone Cleo didn't. But his is in the "scratching range" :-D
6. Recovery once out of the vets willl be quick I should think he has the added benefit of being on top form from the AB's already in his system.
7. Whatever you do is right.

Karen

angieh
20-06-2008, 07:53 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Merlin/007.jpg

You can see in this picture which I have posted before in another thread, the cyst that I wish could be gone just by wishing about it!!!

Kazz - you have stated the facts so very clearly that I don't think the decision is difficult at all, but I know how well you understand that my heart is just frightened for my dear old fellow.

The other fact for having the op is that the cyst is obviously causing Merlin some distress now because he is scratching at it and causing more trauma to the surrounding area. I actually think given all these factors that I can't NOT go ahead and make the call tomorrow.

I'll let you know when the date will be - we will need all the healing vibes you can send that day. The veterinary nurse today recommended Rescue Remedy for me!

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

dandysmom
20-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I think you've made the right decision, hard as it is. And while the recovery after surgery will be difficult (for both of you!), he should feel so much better and be back to himself with a much better quality of life......You know you will get an ocean liner full of healing vibes from across the Pond! (((hugs))) !!

angieh
20-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks Eileen. I'm sure you and lots of other Catsey peeps have been in this same situation before - you know that it's right for your pet, you know there are risks and you just can't think about what might happen. I guess it is best to just say "chin up" and try and put a brave face on it and try not to transmit worry vibes to your cat.

dandysmom
20-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Eileen. I'm sure you and lots of other Catsey peeps have been in this same situation before - you know that it's right for your pet, you know there are risks and you just can't think about what might happen. I guess it is best to just say "chin up" and try and put a brave face on it and try not to transmit worry vibes to your cat.

That's the impossible part for me.......I dread the vet visits so and they pick up instantly on the tension which of course just makes it doubly bad......

Try to think how wonderful it will be to have Merlin so much happier and healthier once the nasty thing is gone...

pinklizzy
20-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Angie, I just PM'd you

PoshPuss
20-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Me too, Angie.