PDA

View Full Version : i have starling babies..

Tink
18-06-2008, 06:49 PM
i have two starling babies..about 17 days old. they were in a device my OH was trying to fix at work in a nest..the parents flew off and his coworker was going to drown them in a pond on site. my OH traded the option to take them on for a job the coworker didn't feel like doing cuz he was deadset on killing them.
they need to eat every hour or two..i've been handfeeding them and now they cry out very loudly when it's time to eat as i have now become "mom".
on top of the cats, dogs, ferrets, iguana, turtles, and fish, i am a very, very busy lady at the moment.
*sigh...*

Mags
18-06-2008, 07:01 PM
.......and you love every minute of it too, don't you Tink?! :lol:

Well done on raising the baby starlings!:D

dandysmom
18-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Good for you and your OH! What are you feeding them, mealworms? Good luck, raising baby birds can be tricky.......

Tink
18-06-2008, 10:47 PM
.......and you love every minute of it too, don't you Tink?! :lol:

well, okay yeah i do....:-D

Tink
18-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Good for you and your OH! What are you feeding them, mealworms? Good luck, raising baby birds can be tricky.......

a mixture of high protein and fat cat food with a small amount of fruit, crickets, and hardboiled eggs..and pedialyte..all mixed up in a blender for a nice stinky mess they are gobbling up by the hour and causing some confusion in a tupperware in the fridge..LOL!

Kim
19-06-2008, 07:47 PM
You obviously know your stuff! Well done, any chance of any piccies?

Tink
20-06-2008, 02:31 AM
i was just about to share..LOL. here ya go.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/juneeighteenth012.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/juneeighteenth013.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm211/darkpixietink/juneeighteenth014.jpg

dandysmom
20-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Wow, they look bright eyed and alert! Has KuanYin seen them yet?

Tink
20-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Wow, they look bright eyed and alert! Has KuanYin seen them yet?

oh lord yes, i have to put her away when i take em out to hand feed em..the food you see in a tray in the pics was before i figured out the proper formula to feed...they are in a secure place..literally three layers of security betwen them and her..but once they are fed i let her out and she gazes at them for hours..she actually fell asleep on the counter yesterday watching them..she doesn't bother them cuz she knows she can't "get em"..she just stares and stares.

baby birds have decided that when they are hungry and i open the cage door (very carefully) they will fly (they only can get a few inches off the ground but the cage they can climb quite well) and go straight for my face almost as if saying "i'm starving!!! it's been a whole hour..where were you???".
it's quite a new experience..LOL.

Mags
20-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Looks like you're doing a good job there Tink, how long will it be before you'll be able to let them go?

Tink
20-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Looks like you're doing a good job there Tink, how long will it be before you'll be able to let them go?

i'm thinking several weeks..they can only get a few inches off the ground when they attempt to fly..the info i've found says they need to be taught to eat on their own yet still be handfed supplementally till six to eight weeks..and some people familiar with these birds say they are no older than two and a half to three weeks..so they'll be with me for awhile.

angieh
20-06-2008, 05:26 PM
You are marvellous Tink - I do admire you. Not only a cat and ferret whisperer, but now a starling tweeter too! Good luck with the young'uns.

Tink
20-06-2008, 05:32 PM
You are marvellous Tink - I do admire you. Not only a cat and ferret whisperer, but now a starling tweeter too! Good luck with the young'uns.

aww..thanx *blush*
i just do my best with what comes my way..and it just seems they always wind up at my house..the word must be out..LOL.

dandysmom
20-06-2008, 07:50 PM
You really do have a way with animals and birds, Tink, a real gift! And your OH is great rescuing them for you! I remember the poor swan......