PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing advice

Jamelia'sMum
18-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi, I own 5 cats, they all live indoors. I have owned cats for many years but this has never happened before to me - we have an accidental litter on our hands. Its my vets fault (and my fault for having faith in a new vet :roll: ), my only female of the group was born late last September and as she was so small when the others went into be neutered he said to leave her a while, I then took on a cat from a friend, he camped out in the bathroom for quaranteen and whilst he was neutered, then after he went for his post-op check a week after the vet said he was fine to be let out with the others. Then when we took Miss Jamelia in for a check-up about a month ago to see if she was able to be spayed yet he confirmed what we thought, that it was too late and she was carrying a litter.

She had them last Monday, and they seem to be doing very well at the moment, all growing in size, putting on plenty of weight and 2 have started to open their eyes! :)
Im having trouble sexing them though, every person I speak to seems to describe it in a different way which makes me think I might have it wrong! lol I knows theres 3 of 1 and 2 of another, and at first I thought it was 3 boys and 2 girls but after speaking to someone last night who has bred a few litters before I now think it might be the other way around. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, mum has been regularly wormed, is it 2 weeks I first worm the kittens? I have some wormer from the vets to do them. Mum is being fed plenty of kitten food and she seems to enjoy being a mum, she purrs non-stop whilst they are feeding!

My other cats are cousins, Elvis and Jackson, Elvis is black and Jacko Black & White, Ringo is a tabby and white (he's the dad to the kittens) and Lionel is a long haired black & white, brother to Jamelia (who is black, mum to kittens) so is now an Uncle!!:lol:

Oh and 1 more thing, anyone got any ideas on how I can persuade my OH that all kittens need to stay! ;)

Hollie

Fran
18-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome to Catsey! Here's a previous thread that covered this...

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14236&highlight=sexing

Regarding worming, I wouldn't worm kittens before about 4 weeks of age.

Can't help with talking your OH round though!! :lol:

Fran
18-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Just to add, the wording seems to have gone a little strange in that thread. The girl is the first piccie (the two openings are near together) and the boy piccie is underneath (the two openings are further apart in boys) HTH

Jamelia'sMum
18-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Thank you so much for the link - I think my first thoughts are right, 3 boys and 2 girls.

Now for some names - that might convince the OH! :lol:

Fran
18-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Oooh I am sure you will have great fun choosing names! Perhaps name some after your OH's favourite sportsmen or whatever his interests are. That may help :lol: Good luck!

kado
18-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome to catsey. You sound if you have a lovely lot there. One of mine was sexed by a friend who said it was a female 16wks later it turned out too be a boy. My OH said i could have only one but we have five now. I didnt think OH would let me but something happened and we ended up with 2 kittens. Anyway i cant wait too see pics of your troup.

jane kado guinness simon troy and chester

smudgley
18-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I agree with fran regarding the worming - I wouldn't do them under 4 weeks.

A little tip about sexing.... Hold the kittens the right way up with their head away from you & lift the tails to look. (Does that make sense) as opposed to holding the kittens upside down like a lot of people do.... it's so much easier to tell this way. ;)