PDA

View Full Version : "Fake" tan

Mags
18-06-2008, 03:06 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7461017.stm

What are your thoughts on it .......have you/do you use it?

This article this morning made me wonder, does it look unnatural and can you tell if someone has used it? It must have improved from years ago when people used to end up with orangey streaks on their arms and legs........must admit I tried it once in my teens and ended scrubbing it off quick! :lol:

Moli
18-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Never used it, I tan very easily without...I do not personally like it, think its too orange...
but, my sons girlfriend uses it, and they went out last week, she had to sit in the car for 2 hours, she got so hot her tan started to run, and she came back all streaky!!!So has given up on it now....

yola
18-06-2008, 03:28 PM
LOL Mags! I've just been reading this on the BBC site and sniggering :D

I tan very easily and have only used the johnson's moisturiser with tan during one year (I think it was the year I was pregnant with Sebi and couldn't sit out in the sun). Otherwise I tend to use the real sun or occasionally (like this summer) a sunbed.

Some fake tans are very good. Not the cheap rubbish you get out of a bottle but the mist-on ones available in salons. The degree of orangeness depends on your own skin type . . . the fairer you are the more orange the result. Although even that is diminishing and you can usually get a nice bronzed effect.

My personal feeling is that a tan - even a year-round one can be very nice provided it's not overt. By that I mean you're not showing off every inch of your body on the high street come rain or snow. It's like everything, if your overall image is cheap than no amout of tan, fake or real is going to make you look classy!

angieh
18-06-2008, 03:31 PM
It's a strange thing, isn't it? I wonder when the perception of having a "healthy glow" (or having tanned skin) changed? It used to be a sign that you were "common" or did outdoor work and it was far more chic to be "pale and interesting". 'course, I don't remember those times myself!!!!

Moli
18-06-2008, 03:31 PM
My personal feeling is that a tan - even a year-round one can be very nice provided it's not overt. By that I mean you're not showing off every inch of your body on the high street come rain or snow. It's like everything, if your overall image is cheap than no amout of tan, fake or real is going to make you look classy!

Well put Yola!!!

Mags
18-06-2008, 03:36 PM
That's an excellent way of putting it Yola!:D

I usually go very pale once my summer tan has disappeared:(...... I also believe a bit of a tan can make you feel good about yourself.

Steph
18-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I tan very easily as well-I know I run a risk of skin cancer but when I`m tanned I`m tanned and when I`m pale I`m pale-I could never ,ever wish to look some well known antiques chappy.

debbie1512
18-06-2008, 04:31 PM
you still see people walking about with orange streeky hands and can tell a mile away that they have fake tan on. i have never used it and wouldn't consider using it.

dandysmom
18-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I admit to using it once in my long-ago teens and it was ghastly! I've been a sunbather all my life: love basking in the sun for hours working on my tan, but have given it up, unfortunately, since I did develop a skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma, easily cured with surgery, thank God!) . I miss the healthy look of a real tan, but do not want to have to undergo surgery again, so......

angieh
18-06-2008, 04:43 PM
You're wise Eileen. I too used to bask in the sun in my teens. Luckily, nothing untoward yet. But I no longer bask, or if I do, I cover up and wear a sunhat too.

I suppose that's one good thing about "fake" tan - if it means people don't roast themselves any longer!

(I used to love the smell of Ambre Solaire oil!)

PoshPuss
18-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm one of those unfortunate people that go dirty brown in the sun. Not tanned and healthy looking, just looking like I need a good wash! :? and my nose always burns :(
I 've used the Johnson's moisturiser and it just gave me a shiny forehead and spots!!!Guess I just have to cover up this old body in future :roll:

Elaine
18-06-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the spray tans that you get in salons look better than the ones from a bottle. The bottle ones often stain the hands and doesnt apply very well on the knees and ankles, or maybe its just that put it on badly:lol:
I tan fairly well and like a tan, used to be a sunbed worshiper but stopped all that. Like Steph, when I am tanned, Im tanned and if not so be it.

candyshandy
18-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I use fake tan and have done as a replacement for sunbeds which are extremely dodgy.

I have used many many different brands searching for the elusive 'natural' look and one that doesn't have that awful smell!

The best one by far (including spray tans from the salon) is Xen Tan - it really is fantastic. It goes on with no streaks and smells like almonds.

EmmaG
18-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I use St Tropez Spray Fake tan which I find is very good. I don't go orange but I don't keep re-applying it. Never had it professional applied before but I am on Friday (St Tropez spray tan) to be a bit browner before my holiday.

A friend at work also uses the fake tans and she is quite brown but it doesn't look orange on her.

MrsH
18-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm from the pale and (I hope!) interesting tribe! I burn so I don't sunbathe and have never really had a tan in my life. A shame really as both my parents and my brother and sister were the easy tanning type, we used to come back from a family holiday and it looked as if I'd been locked in a cupboard!

I have used the tinted moisturiser on my legs just so that I don't look completely corpse-like but I can't ever see me going to a tanning salon, it would all look so phoney on me. I certainly don't want to seem to be in line for a "Tango Award" like some of the so-called celebrities.

EmmaG
20-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I have just come back from having a professional spray St Tropez before my holiday, colour will develop within the next 8 hours, very pleased with it so far :)