PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Rabbits.

kado
16-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I have had rabbits in the past(accidently bred them). I know how too look after them. With us moving a friend has offered to buy one for the girls with a hutch and run as well as a house warming present. I have had rabbits with a dog who was scared of them but not with cats. It is an inclosed garden what do you all think. The girls are quiet good at feeding the cats and wash there dishes out. They would have too feed and help with the rabbit. Some children go off animals after a while and neglect them mine will not. They both want too do something with animals when they grow up.

jane

Donna
16-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I have cats and rabbits. One cat just sits and watches them - even slightly nervous of them, but my other cat Chloe goes in for the kill every time. They cannot ever be left alone unattended.

Secondly, I bought my first rabbit for my daughter as she had gone on and on about one... she lost interest very quickly and he soon became my rabbit.

I would say only get a rabbit or two if you are prepared to end up being 100% responsible for them and have the finances as they are so much more expensive to look after than cats!! I spend at least £40 a month on hay alone!!

kado
16-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I know there interest might waine but i am prepared to clean the hutches out myself. I love all animals the accidentley litter was 2 in all i had 2 older ones which i hand reared from 1 wkl oldthe daddy and 2 mummys and twelve babies . My two hymalains i had to rehome when the landlord wouldnt let me take them.

jane

Donna
16-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Good luck with the bunnies then - I have two (now separate) bunnies and I quite enjoy cleaning out the hutches and feeding them etc. I am currently in the process of refurbing their accommodation and painting all the hutches/runs... its quite theraputic!

diskinc
16-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I have 2 rabbits as well as the 2 cats.

Rabbits make fabulous pets, people don't appreciate what great characters they can have. They are social animals though so I can stress enough how important it is to get a pair. The best combination is a spayed female and a neutered male. Rather than buy one why not check out your local rescue, they will often have paired them up already and had them neutered.

My previous cat, Alf, was very good with them but I wouldn't trust Jack or Lily, they are just too 'stalkerish'.

Hope that helps.

diskinc
16-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Just a note for Donna - have you thought about contacting a local stables to get your hay by the bale. The stuff I get is very good quality and costs about £4 a bale!

kado
16-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Thats a good idea about the hay. I have a friend who can give me an unlimited amount of wood shavings.

diskinc
16-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Not to turn this into a rabbit thread but you should be careful with wood shavings as they can cause upper respititory issues. Mine use a litter tray filled with newspaper and hay, much easier to keep clean :-)

Donna
17-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Just a note for Donna - have you thought about contacting a local stables to get your hay by the bale. The stuff I get is very good quality and costs about £4 a bale!

I cant find anywhere local to buy bales of hay - I have been looking... will keep trying!!!

I get mine from www.dustfreehay.co.uk (http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk) which is the best hay I have every found - but if I can get good stuff elsewhere I would change.

Donna
17-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Not to turn this into a rabbit thread but you should be careful with wood shavings as they can cause upper respititory issues. Mine use a litter tray filled with newspaper and hay, much easier to keep clean :-)

Yes, woodshavings are a no-no! Mine have newspaper and hay only which is the best option, I think.

kado
17-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that information Donna. I think i will use what you do

Donna
17-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Love to see pics of your bunnies and their set-ups once you have them!

diskinc
17-06-2008, 12:52 PM
The dust free hay is great I use it as well, but encourge them to eat it rather than use it as a litter.

Try searching for livery yards to source a more general purpose hay.