PDA

View Full Version : Cat with the runs

charlilou
15-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Meeko has always got the runs. He has lost weight in the past few years but that is down to him being a house cat now as he was being feed by another family (they ended up tryingto kidnap him and kill him.)
The vet says he is fine, but i'm wondering if i can do anything to help him.
It doesn't sound to pleasent for him when he in the litter tray, and when he gets out he usually drips.

any suggestions?
thanks

pinklizzy
15-06-2008, 09:42 AM
What do you feed him? Has your vet suggested any changes to his diet to try and help? Normally we'd do a faecal profile to rule out medical causes then try a bland diet with added probiotics/increased fibre.

charliebubs
15-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm surprised that the vet said he was fine if he has the runs all the time. It could be that he's just a sensitive chap, with a sensitive tummy, but there are things that you can do to help him (particularly if he drips! not nice for you or for him :( )

There are special diets that you can get for sensitive tummies. Royal Canin do one called Sensitivity Control, which you can either buy through your vets or on the internet. It is a bit more expensive than regular wet food, but it does work. It comes in 2 flavours: chicken & rice and duck & rice. Here's a link to where you can get it on the net.......

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/prod5.asp?prod_id=1680&id=146&grpid=1680&msg=&offset=#prod_anchor

It does also come in a dried food.

Secondly, I would give him a probiotic to help the good bacteria in his tummy and to keep the runs under control. Again, you can get this from the vets or on the internet. There are a couple of different varieties, the one I use is called Protexin Pro Kolin. This comes in either a paste that you put straight into his mouth (with a special applicator) or granuals that you put in his food. I would use the paste if you are able to give it to him without too much drama!!

You can buy it from the same website as the other link above:

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/search.asp?prod_id=1517&search=protexin&offset=&grpid=1517#prod_anchor

Finally, even if you decide not to do either of the above I would change his diet. Wet food in gravy if likely to be too rich for a sensitive tummy (I don't know what you feed him!??). In fact all Whiskers is rich cat food. If you feed one of the supermarket brands then I would pick Felix over Whiskers (but make sure it's the basic Felix in Jelly - not the Roasted or Gravy varieties).

Hope that helps. Best of luck!!!
:)

charlilou
15-06-2008, 09:52 AM
thanks.
I think it is just a sensitive tummy as he cannot have any wet food, it makes it works. some days are more solid than others.

charliebubs
15-06-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks.
I think it is just a sensitive tummy as he cannot have any wet food, it makes it works. some days are more solid than others.

I'd stilll try the Sensitivity Control dried food then. Or Royal Canin do one that you can buy in some pet shops (or online) called Sensible 33.

The Pro Kolin wouldn't hurt either. :)

sarahd
15-06-2008, 10:57 AM
My friend has a cat who has a food intolerance and she can't stomach dried or wet food. She's even been tried on the sensitivity diet and was originally on the sensible 33 also with the prokalin and nothing worked for her.
They give her a raw food diet which was recommended to me for her by another breeder. You can get the frozen food from PAH or via North West Discount Pet foods. She has that along with a sprinkling of Vitamin SA37 as the raw food diets don't have any vitamin intake in them and they need a supplement. Also some slippery elm tree bark powders sprinkled into the food and then mixed in. This is good for diahorrea and all kinds of other tummy problems. It can be used long term with no known side effects and is completely natural so therefore no drugs or toxins in it. It can be used from weaning age right the way through so this just shows how safe it is.
She tolerates this perfectly well and they have had no problems since. She is now completely cleared up. Her stools are softer than most would be but the dripping and runny motions have now ceased. She used to go in the litter tray but drip as she was walking. She had all sorts of tests done and they all came back negative or inconclusive and they spent a fortune on different potions all which didn't work. Too much medication can sometimes make the problem work as it is not only killing off the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria. As Charlie says a good substitute for this is some natural live pro biotic yoghurt.

Hope this helps and good luck

Sarah
x

charliebubs
15-06-2008, 12:46 PM
As Charlie says a good substitute for this is some natural live pro biotic yoghurt.

Actually, I didn't say that. :oops: I didn't mean that anyway :oops:

You should be very careful when giving cats yoghurt as they are of course lactose intolerant. I do know of some people who successfully use probiotic yoghurt, but I have never tried it. I stick to the probiotic from the vets (or internet) as mentioned in my post Pro Kolin or Protexin. ;)

sarahd
15-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry I misread what you wrote :oops:
I have tried pro biotic yoghurt in the past and it did work ok but it was in the tiniest amounts we are not talking spoonfuls.
I have used the probiotic from the vets but the vet did say that very small quantities of natural live yoghurt was just as good providing the cat didn't react to it.

Apologies for the misunderstanding :oops:

Sarah
x

charliebubs
15-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry I misread what you wrote :oops:
I have tried pro biotic yoghurt in the past and it did work ok but it was in the tiniest amounts we are not talking spoonfuls.
I have used the probiotic from the vets but the vet did say that very small quantities of natural live yoghurt was just as good providing the cat didn't react to it.

Apologies for the misunderstanding :oops:

Sarah
x

Ah, well the yoghurt might be worth a try then. :-D

Sorry Sarah - I just didn't want to recommend something that I've never tried myself!!! :-D

Sorry for the misunderstanding too :oops: ;)

x

dandysmom
15-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Actually, I didn't say that. :oops: I didn't mean that anyway :oops:

You should be very careful when giving cats yoghurt as they are of course lactose intolerant. I do know of some people who successfully use probiotic yoghurt, but I have never tried it. I stick to the probiotic from the vets (or internet) as mentioned in my post Pro Kolin or Protexin. ;)

Not to nitpick, Charlie, but some cats aren't lactose intolerant. Both Patches and Misty had a saucer of milk daily until the day they died... at advanced years .....normal stools.

charliebubs
16-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Not to nitpick, Charlie, but some cats aren't lactose intolerant. Both Patches and Misty had a saucer of milk daily until the day they died... at advanced years .....normal stools.

You are absolutely right, Eileen. :)

Not all cats are lactose intolerant - but for me - I assume that they all are, as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My cats do have the occassional saucer of cat milk, but I never give them cow's milk.............after all, I'd be the one cleaning it up if they were intolerant!!!! :-D

I wouldn't risk trying the yoghurt either, personally, but each to their own!!! ;)

dandysmom
16-06-2008, 04:06 PM
You are absolutely right, Eileen. :)

Not all cats are lactose intolerant - but for me - I assume that they all are, as I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My cats do have the occassional saucer of cat milk, but I never give them cow's milk.............after all, I'd be the one cleaning it up if they were intolerant!!!! :-D

I wouldn't risk trying the yoghurt either, personally, but each to their own!!! ;)

I tried the yoghurt once to see if Misty would like it...she gave me such a look! Scraped all around it burying it symbolically and stalked off in a huff! Never bothered trying it with Patchie.....:-D