PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

nursecroft
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Theres a cat that has been outside my house now for about 3 days, he's shown up a few times before, ive never fed him but he follows me everywhere meowing constantly and desperate for some attention, he is so thin but a young cat. He does have a tatty collar on but no name. Its only been the last 2 weeks ive ever seen him, do you think he's been dumped? He sits outside my house crying all night

Im going to ring a rescue in the morning to see what they say not sure what to do, i was very naughty and gave in and fed him when we were outside today, ive never seen a cat so hungry, i know i shouldnt but i have an awful feeling he doesnt have a home. He's coat is terrible and he's such a sweet little thing.

Any advice? Its breaking my heart seeing him crying outside, he's never been in my house obviously but has his paws on the door asking to come in much to betula's disgust!

alexgirl73
08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
the best thing to do is contact your local rescue, but the only prob is they may well be full already. We have a waiting list already for adult cats to come in, and we ask people to feed the cats until we can find a space for them. poor baby, at least the weather is mild for him. Can you do what I have done in the past and make a little shelter somewhere in your garden for him?

nursecroft
08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes i will pop a carrier outside with a blanket in and some biscuits, he's been well fed tonight and i have wormed him too because he looked really wormy to me, just the one you pop on the back of the neck. He's so friendly and gentle really lovely cat bless him. Dont know how you do it ive got all upset over him :oops:

Going to ring my vets in the morning and sort out some posters in petshops too. can at least see if he's microchipped.

Thankyou x

bobbie3917
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
what a poor boy,

Mags
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
I hope the rescue will be able to help the poor boy, it does sound as though he may have been dumped unfortunately.:( Alex's idea of making him a shelter in your garden is good, at least it will act as a temporary home for him.

Well done to you for feeding him ......... please let us know what happens to him.:?

Moli
08-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Poor Baby, thank goodness you found him, at least he will be safe now until you find somewhere for him to go.....Good for you...

kado
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree with moli. Im glad you found him(are you sure its a boy) Let us know on how he gets on. He sounds a lovely cat and well done too you for caring for him.

jane

Moli
08-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I had the same problem as you NC......and he never left, his name is Chancer...

dandysmom
09-06-2008, 02:06 AM
NC, well done for looking after the little stray until he may be able to go into rescue. Poor little guy; wonder what happened that he's homeless; good thing he found you.....

nursecroft
09-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Well he definetely is a stray for whatever reason, he's still curled up in the carrier outside this morning bless him. Just about to go feed him. I am going to ring my vet and get him checked over and my local rescues, if no-one claims him he will be such a beautiful cat for someone, he's a real little character, loves being picked up and cuddled, he purrs away bless him. Ive taken some pics of him so will upload them in a mo.

I would take him in but Betula growls at him out the window as it is and we're moving to a 2 bedroom house so it would be very crowded. Alfie is still very young too so i worry about bringing him in. If i didnt have Alfie i would have taken him in in a heartbeat. :(

nursecroft
09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Here he is

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/080620081448-1.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/080620081446-1.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/090620081452.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/090620081453.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/090620081454.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/090620081457.jpg

yola
09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh what a sweetheart! His coat does look a bit shabby. Poor love :(

I was of the same mind when I had my 2 persians and a tatty old black stray tom started hanging around. I didn't want some manky old thing in my house, but I did feed him for a year out in the garden and eventually he wormed his way into our hearts and we took him on. Blackcat became Ferdy and very quickly became part of the family!

3 cats don't take up much more room that 2 . . . honest ;)

nursecroft
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh dont ive already been in tears this morning :cry: . I took him to the vet no microchip and un-neutered. So Ive taken him to the Blue Cross cat rescue centre. They will advertise him for a week in the paper if no-one claims him they will find a new home for him.

I would have loved to have kept him but we're moving to a 2 bedroom house end of July and it wouldnt be fair on Betz and Alfie to introduce an adult male when the are just getting settled with eachother. He's also used to being outdoors and is very vocal i think it would just stress everybody out. My OH would actually leave me if i took anymore on.

I hated taking him there although its a lovely rescue and he will be neutered and checked ect.

I just dont understand why people have cats they clearly dont care about or look after properly it really winds me up :evil:

yola
09-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I just dont understand why people have cats they clearly dont care about or look after properly it really winds me up :evil:

He could have run away or maybe an elderly owner died? But you're probably right - cats, and pets in general are becoming a disposable comodity . . . sad country :(

nursecroft
09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
He could have run away or maybe an elderly owner died? But you're probably right - cats, and pets in general are becoming a disposable comodity . . . sad country :(

He's only very young under a year, not microchipped, got a collar on with no name and he's un-neutered so whoever the owner is its doubtful they are responsible. :(

alexgirl73
09-06-2008, 02:01 PM
awww. Well, at least he will be looked after and cared for now. Well done you on looking after him, and that was a lovely little shelter you made him.

angieh
09-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I am sure that he will be found a good home. He looks to be a nice friendly cat and has found nothing but kindness from you. Pulls dreadfully at the heart strings, but you have to do what you know to be best for you and your family (both human and feline). Good luck young Tom.

dandysmom
09-06-2008, 04:30 PM
How lucky that he found you! Hopefully he'll get a loving forever home soon; he looks like a little charmer...and a talker! I love a talkative cat.....

nursecroft
09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Thankyou everyone for your support. Going to ring in a few days to see how he's getting on, the girls were making a fuss of him when i left so i think he'll become a favourite. x

Moli
09-07-2008, 07:09 PM
You did what was best NC, he now has a chance of going to a lovely new home, and being neutered...Good for you...