PDA

View Full Version : FHV / Indoor Cats

diskinc
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I went to the rescue centre yesterday and fell in love with a gorgeous pair of 8 month old kittens.

They have been exposed to FHV so maybe latent carriers. The rescue therefore insist that they be indoor cats, which is fine with me as it is the most responsible course of action. From what I can find out they shed the virus intermittently through nasal and eye secretions.

They did suggest that I could leash walk them as this would enable me to ensure they were kept away from direct contct with other cats. This got me thinking about the possibility of using one of those dog spikes and an extending lead so that they could also be out in the garden with me (cat proofing it looks difficult). Does anyone think this might work or see any reason why it shouldn't?

Also does anyone know if it is possible to transmit the virus to other species e.g. rabbits? What are the hygine precautions I need to take to ensure that I don't become a source of possible infection?

Sorry for the ramble but I want to be sure I do the best for them :-)

Thanks,
Cheryl

smudgley
01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Feline Herpes Virus is feline specicific & can't be passed to other species.
Do you have any cats now?
How have they been exposed to the virus? Have they been tested for it?

diskinc
01-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't have any other cats so no risk there, it was mainly the rabbits I was concerned about.

I think the main thing will be to make the house as stimulating as possible.

tilly
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi may cat Tilly has got FHV and is fine I wmam having the garden cat proofed but for the moment she is being walked on a harness and lead.
I don't see why you can't take them out with you when you are out there and attached them to something. I attached Tillys lead to the washing line so and she was fine there. But I would leave them unattended as they might get caught up.
Tilly is now 11 years old and is getting on fine being FHV makes no differents to her she just sneeze alot. Best of luck with your two.

Tillly