PDA

View Full Version : Cat Names

Phoenix
30-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I found a link on the internet which tells you what your cat's name means.

http://www.cats-tell.com/index.php/catnames

Beauty's name means Giving pleasure to the sight; Alternative spelling: Beautee

Kazz
30-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Well
Oscars name means "Spear of the Gods"
Cleo's name means "Renown" Greek "Famous"

dandysmom
30-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Aww, Leia's not listed.:( She'd already been named after the Star Wars character when I got her......

Kazz
30-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Aww, Leia's not listed.:( She'd already been named after the Star Wars character when I got her......

Eileen you've been at the Vino again haven't you......:roll: ...whats wrong with you woman, of course Leia is not listed she is unique :-D ...and a Princess therefore above all this "common-ness" like letting her name be used on a web site.;)

angieh
30-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Merlin -
A kind of Falcon; Meaning sea hill

Well, of course I knew that a merlin is a falcon.

But MY Merlin is a wizard - that's all. That's what I meant by his name. He is of course named after the wizard in T.H. White's "The Book of Merlin" and more generally, Arthurian legend.

I wouldn't worry about Leia's name not being there Eileen!!!

dandysmom
30-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Eileen you've been at the Vino again haven't you......:roll: ...whats wrong with you woman, of course Leia is not listed she is unique :-D ...and a Princess therefore above all this "common-ness" like letting her name be used on a web site.;)

:-D Actually not yet, Kazz, the sun isn't over the yardarm, but the vino is chilling in the fridge and will be appearing shortly!.

I think Leia is a proper Victorian girl who believes the old adage that a true well bred lady's name appears in the papers three times: when she is born, when she is wed and when she dies! None of this modern "15 minutes of fame" for my girl...Britney or Paris she's not! ;)

Kay
30-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Angel means messenger of god
Tilly means mighty in battle
Tate means a wisp of hay or hair
Leila means night beauty.
Phoebe means bright
Kisses means more than one kiss
Ruby means red jewel
Shannon means old one
Roxy means dawn
Kirah means lord

These are the meanings on that site. There are no meanings for Jilly and the meaning for Cory has been lost. In my baby books they mean:-

Jilly means fair skinned
Cory means helmet, hollow-dweller or pool-dweller.
Kirah in my books means sun, throne or shepherd so slightly different.

Mags
30-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Cassie is from a Greek expression whose meaning has been lost! :smt102

dandysmom
30-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Cassie is from a Greek expression whose meaning has been lost! :smt102

Mags, could it be a contraction of Cassandra, the Greek prophetess who no one woukd believe?

Mags
30-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Mags, could it be a contraction of Cassandra, the Greek prophetess who no one woukd believe?
Oh I didn't think of that Eileen, you may be right!:D

Kay
30-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Cassie is a form of Cassandra and is Greek for 'an ensnarer of men'. That is in my baby book Mags.

Mags
30-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Cassie is a form of Cassandra and is Greek for 'an ensnarer of men'. That is in my baby book Mags.

Ensnarer of men :shock: I'll have to watch her then! :-D

Thanks for that Kay :D

Kay
30-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Ensnarer of men :shock: I'll have to watch her then! :-D

Thanks for that Kay :D

You will definitely have to keep an eye on her now ;) ;)

Tina
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I have two cats, one of their names is listed on the site!

Mouse - small rodent with a long tail
Hmmmmm......maybe not quite what I was going for LOL I just named her that because she's so tiny and she squeaks!

Miw-Bast (not listed) - is ancient egyptian for "Cat of Bast" or "Child of Bast" (Bast being the ancient egyptian cat goddess!). We just call her Miw though......which means "Cat" very fitting! LOL

Tina

Steph
01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Cleo-renown. But she does respond when we come home to "hello Mrs Cat"