PDA

View Full Version : Am i doing the right thing?

Juli
30-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi just joined catsey and am desperate for advice. Went to a rescue centre on Saturday and found two adorable kittens, didn't even realise they had kittens there but once i saw them i fell in love! They have to be indoor cats as one of them is white and she is totally deaf, they had been overlooked because of this and as far as i'm concerned it doesn't make a difference to me at all. They were only seven weeks old so not yet ready to come home with us, had a phonecall from the rescue centre this morning as they were concerned about the kittens parents, who are also brother and sister! The concern is FIP and they warned me of all the implications of this, the kittens are small and the little tortie is just getting over a weepy eye, which most of the cats in the centre have had, the little white kitten is a maniac and climbing, running and jumping over everything in it's path but the tortie is very cuddly and quiet, they asked me if i still wanted to adopt them and my initial thought was 'of course i do' I feel that at least they would have been in a loving home and secure environment for however long we have them, But am i setting myself up for heartbreak or will the fact that i loved them while i had them and made their lives happy outweigh the heartache? I feel that if i don't give them a home then they are destined to be overlooked time and time again. I could have a healthy cat that could get run over or catch something fatal, so i'd be no worse off or these little girls could live for years happy and healthy, please help would be glad of any help/advice

PoshPuss
30-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh Juli, sorry for your dilemma. Of course the cats will get a loving hom and the best possible life with you, of that I have no doubt. You sound like a very compassionate person.
There are no guarantees wth any animal. Whether you buy the best stock or take in a rescue animal the chances are you will meet all sorts of challenges. The fact that you are prepared to meet these head-on speaks volumes and the Rescue Centre must be thanking their lucky stars you walked in. The Centre, I think, has given you a 'realistic' rundown of expectations but you alone know your capabilities.
I'm sure there will be moments of heartache, but these will be countered by immense joy, as you work with these 2 lonely kittens.
My advice would be to talk it over wth your Nearest and Dearest ones and consider all the options.
I commend you for considering the little kittens and for wanting to give them happy lives. Best of Luck :) deciding and I hope to hear from you soon on Catsey.

yola
30-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Yes indeed. A difficult call. My own personal feeling would be to take them on. You seem to have thought over the argument in the same way I would (a) they will have a good quality of life even if it isn't as long as it otherwise might be and (b) any cat might end up having its life shortened for many reasons.

If you go into it pragmatically with your eyes open then of course there will be pain along the line - but at least you're prepared for it. I did similar with an old FIV stray that came to us. We gave him and extra 2 1/2 years that he would otherwise not have had and he was SUCH a grateful old thing for it.

dandysmom
30-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I can't improve on anything Yola and Poshpuss have said. Go for it; do let us know how things go.......

Kim
30-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I would do it too, as long as there is no danger for your current cat, yes go for it! I have adoped several oldies from our local rescue centre and always felt pleased that I gave them a few months of comfort before they left this world.

angieh
30-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Excellent comments above Juli and I can't better any of the reasoning.

As you are aware of all the possibilities - go with your heart. Good luck - let us know how things turn out.

Elaine
31-05-2008, 03:05 PM
That certainly is quite a dilema. Did the rescue say that the parents were showing signs of ill health? Have the parents been tested for the corona virus or anything? If they have been tested for corona virus, it doesnt necessarily mean that they will have FIP. I think Yola has given some very good advice, all I can add is for you to learn as much as you can before making your final decision.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fip.html
I wish you and those poor loves at the rescue lots of love and good wishes.

Juli
01-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Well the little ones arrived last night and haven't stopped purring yet! One is certainly alot smaller and quieter but she has the loudest purr! They seemed to have settled in wonderfully, they know where their litter tray is and where their food and water are and have been eating and drinking fine, hopefully they will grow stronger and healthier. They cuddled up together and slept all night, no accidents or damage to anything, i don't expect that to last but was impressed for their first night! Thankyou to everyone that gave advice, having them curled up on our laps purring away makes it so rewarding, even if they may only be with us briefly!Will post pics soon.

charliebubs
01-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Well done Juli for taking these babies on. I agree with what everyone else has already said and have no doubt that they will have a wonderful quality of life with you for however long that may be. :)

They sound adorable!!! :) Can we have some photos of them pleaseeeeeeeee??

I took on a rescue cat with kidney failure (CRF) a couple of years ago, and although he was only with me for a few months he was very much loved by me and by the other cats and I'm sure that he had a very happy ending to his short life. I don't regret for a second brining him home. He still enriched my life in that time and he will never be forgotten.

PoshPuss
01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I've just see their pictures, they are soooooo sweeeeeet!!
Happy times ahead for you. God Bless You, your time together may be short but I keep hoping that they stay as lovely as they are now and you will have such precious memories :)

smudgley
01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Why are the rescue people concerned about FIP?
What I mean is, have these babies been in contact with a cat with FIP?

Juli
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I think the parents have fallen ill and they think they may have the virus but not full blown FIP so the kittens may be at higher risk, One of the litter has already died and one of my two is absolutely tiny, half the size of her sister, The parents were brother and sister so they don't know if it's just interbreeding or something more sinister. I think they were just preparing me for the worst, but they've just told me not to put the kittens in any stressful situation, and hopefully they will get stronger and healthier.

dandysmom
01-06-2008, 04:04 PM
I've just see their pictures, they are soooooo sweeeeeet!!
Happy times ahead for you. God Bless You, your time together may be short but I keep hoping that they stay as lovely as they are now and you will have suchprecious memories :)

Beautifully put, PP !