PDA

View Full Version : 6 week old siamese kitten with fluid on lungs

LucySiamese
27-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I have a litter of 7 kittens, and i noticed on sunday one was a bit quiet and was'nt breathing well, i took him to the emergency vet and she done a chest x-ray and he has fluid on his lungs, the vet did'nt think the fluid was because of a heart problem, she could'nt listen to his heart because he wouldnt stop purring, he still has an appetite and loves to be cuddled he was hospitalised over night, and vet said he was ok to come home yesterday morning, she said his breathing was considerably better and he responded well to anti biotics, i paid £186 and was sent home with anti biotics, but he does'nt look any better to me, his breathing still isnt good and i would have been willing to leave him longer at the vets to make sure he is ok. i will get an appointment when the vet opens today and take him over, im so worried about him :( and an added worry i cleaned the other kittens litter this morning and noticed some blood in theire poo :( they are happy, lively, eating and playing well, they look fine but i will take them along today aswell.
i only have 2 other cats in the house, Lucy the mum and her daughter roxy and they are both vaccinated and dont go outside! Any ideas what could be going on?

Anyone had something similar to the little boy with fluid on the lungs? im so attached to him he was the little boy born with contrated tendons on his front legs and ive been massaging them daily and he is so cuddly now, im planning to keep him if he survives this.

PoshPuss
27-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your little one. You are doing your best by taking them to the vets, I hope the problem can be resolved soon. Is 7 a big litter for a Siamese? I don't know these things, as I've never bred any kittens. Good luck with the little boy and I hope the blood is not a problem too.

LucySiamese
27-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Hiya

Thanks for your reply,

Lucy had 6 on her last litter, and 7 this time the poorly little fella was born last and was born with deformed front legs due to being cramped in the womb, she coped well with 6 last time, and i think this little man is just the runt, it is quite a big litter for siamese although the stud owner has a queen that has 9, but i think the average is around 5.

angieh
27-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Lucy I am very sorry to read your post. I'm afraid I have no information to offer, but I will be thinking of all the kittens and especially the little poorly one and sending healing vibes. Merlin says he will send vibes and purrrrs too.

Let us know how they get on at the vet.

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear this. I'm not familiar with it, but will send healing vibes.....do let us know how they're doing.

charliebubs
27-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Lesley. I really hope that this little man pulls through. I can understand how attached to him you must be now.

Did you manage to get in to see the vet today?

As for the blood in poo I wouldn't worry too much. That can happen in adult cats for no reason other than straining to pass the poo. Have you just started them on solid food? If so, that could explain it. If their diet has changed, their poo may have done too and might be a bit more difficult for them to pass.

Please keep us posted.
x

LucySiamese
27-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks for replying.

I took Yoda to the vet today at 12 we had to go as an extra as there were no appointments and the vet listened to his heart and said he has a bad heart murmur and wanted to pts, i did'nt though because when i went to the emergency vet she said he had pneumonia, and now this vet says heart murmur, he looks like he has improved, he is eating, drinking and playing and his breathing dont look as bad as it was, so im going to keep up with the anti biotics for a bit longer.
And siamese can sometimes grow out of heart murmurs so i think he deserves a chance.

Here he is with his sealpoint sister.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/chelsealucy/2008_0525boysthe0051.jpg

charliebubs
27-05-2008, 07:01 PM
He's stunning Lesley. :smt007

I think that all cats cat grow out of heart murmurs as the heart grows and develops. Surely the vet wouldn't have advised that he was pts just on that basis? :?

Does he still have the fluid on his lungs? Is that what's concerning the vet?

He's gorgeous. I do hope that he goes from strength to strength and proves the vet wrong.

kado
27-05-2008, 07:41 PM
My cat kado had a heart murmor when he was little he has grown out of it. I agree he is gorgeous and a little poppet. Please let us know on how he gets on. Send a big hug too him ande you too.

jane

LucySiamese
27-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I dont know if he still has the fluid, the vet did'nt do another x-ray, he said Yoda looks pale and is probably anemic which has caused the murmur, but said he would need to do a blood test which would be almost impossible because of his size, and that he could refer me to somewhere for him to have an ultrasound, but that depends on how much i want to spend! i said well i spent £186 sunday, and more money today, thats not the issue i want my cat to be well, and for 2 vets to agree on whats actually wrong with him!!
I will keep up with the antibiotics and feeding him, he had 2oz of cimicat from a bottle tonight.

Lesley x

random
27-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Best of luck with him Lucy, I hope he outgrows the murmur, if he seems happy and not in any pain i'd give him a fighting chance as long as he is still growing and happy. Best wishes for him, he looks a wee poppet. x