PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any good tips...

Moli
26-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Share your tips with everyone here...

White toothpaste is great for cleaning Alloy Wheels.....

Mags
26-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Toothpaste is also good for rubbing into Mosquito bites......

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 02:03 AM
This is a little gross, but if you're out and don't have a tube of benedryl for the mosquito bite, if you rub a little saliva on it it will ease the burning and itching, not quite as quickly, but it does work!

angieh
27-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry if this is too flippant, but coincidentally arrived in an email this morning .....

Always keep several
Get well cards on the mantle shelf...
So if unexpected guests arrive,
They will think you've been sick & unable to clean!

Moli
27-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry if this is too flippant, but coincidentally arrived in an email this morning .....

Always keep several
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: brilliant Angie!!!

alexgirl73
27-05-2008, 02:22 PM
nail polish remover is great for cleaning scuff marks off of leather trainers.

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Always keep several

:smt005 In a similar vein, a friend of mine always keeps the hoover by the door so he can apologize by saying excuse the mess, he was just starting to vacuum ........

Mags
27-05-2008, 08:17 PM
To remove chewing gum from clothes etc.....

Put ice cubes into a plastic bag, place on top the chewing gum to harden it and slowly scrape the gum off.

Mags
27-05-2008, 08:20 PM
To remove chewing gum from clothes etc.....

Put ice cubes into a plastic bag, place on top the chewing gum to harden it and slowly scrape the gum off.

To clean windows and mirrors etc........

Wash windows or mirror in warm water and a drop of vinegar. Wipe with scrunched up newspaper until dry and shining. They will sparkle like new!

Moli
27-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Pour salt on any food spills on the hob that happen while cooking. This stops the spills from burning, which can turn into a cleaning nightmare later.

Moli
27-05-2008, 08:42 PM
If you're banging in a small nail, push the nail through a thin piece of card first, then hold the card, not the nail.

Mags
27-05-2008, 08:43 PM
To cure a headache drink a small cup of coffee mixed with the juice of half a lemon.

It tastes awful but it does the trick..;)

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 09:11 PM
In the Winter when you don't have access to the herb garden, pot up an ordinary scallion from the market and keep it in a sunny window. It will thrive and you can use the leaves like chopped chives in any dishes that you normally use them in,,,,,,

random
27-05-2008, 09:32 PM
If your animal pees somewhere it's not meant to, mix up a little biological washing powder with some warm water and clean the affected area with the solution. The enzymes break down the mess as a lot of normal detergents including bleach can clean urine smells so that humans think it is fine but animals can still smell the urine and will pee in the same place.

But you all probably knew that anyway. :lol:

Also laying down silver foil can deter a cat from doing it's business in a certain area as it doesn't like the sound of the foil as it steps on it.

Tomato sauce is good for killing the smell of poo on a pet's coat. If you have dogs you will know what I mean. :shock:

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 09:40 PM
What a good idea this thread was! I've picked up a tip I never thought of already...:D

dandysmom
29-05-2008, 04:26 PM
This isn't exactly a tip, but it's something I've found handy gardening. I tend to forget the seed germination time from season to season, so finally got around to bookmarking a link with a table (scroll down). It's been very useful to me....

http://www.inthegardenonline.com/techniques_seedviabilityC20.htm

angieh
29-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Very useful thanks Eileen. I've bookmarked it too!

Mags
29-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Very useful thanks Eileen. I've bookmarked it too!

So have I....thanks Eileen! :smt023

Mags
29-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Don’t mix cut daffodils in with other cut flowers as the daffodils produce a toxin that kills off the other flowers...

Toilet bowls come up shiny when cleaned with old, flat Coke or Pepsi. Leave overnight to dissolve limescale