PDA

View Full Version : Our cats?

pinklizzy
25-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Would those of you involved in showing/breeding recommend 'Our cats' newspaper? I get the canine version on a fairly regular basis but had no idea that this exisited! :oops:
Also, how easy is it to get hold of, do you need a subscription?
Any information welcome!

Kay
25-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I subscribe to Our Cats online. I used to get the paper but have changed so I can view the current issue and back issues online. I used to get Our Dogs when I was showing dogs and I have to say there is a lot more in the our Dogs paper. Our Cats mainly consists of GCCF issues, show reports, list of upcoming shows, limited adverts and some articles. If I wasn't showing I don't think I would actually bother with it. I just want to read the show reports. If you go to the Our Cats website it will give details of subscriptions and you can view some of the items without subscribing. You can also ask your local newsagent if they will order it for you. We have a tiny post office come newsagents in our village and they managed to get it for me previously.

Hope this helps.

Sarnajes
25-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Anyone who doesn't show probably wouldn't find it very interesting as half the paper is taken up with show reports and judges critiques.

I subscribe to our cats online but only for the judges critiques, to be honest I don't read much of the rest of it.

Kay
25-05-2008, 06:16 PM
I totally agree. I think a better paper/magazine if you don't show is Your Cat or Cats World as they are much more informative about a wide range of subjects rather than mostly showing/breeding.

pinklizzy
25-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for your replies! I don't show cats or dogs but love to read the show reports! I'll have a look at the website, thanks.

pinklizzy
25-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I totally agree. I think a better paper/magazine if you don't show is Your Cat or Cats World as they are much more informative about a wide range of subjects rather than mostly showing/breeding.

I have subscriptions to both of these too!

Kay
25-05-2008, 06:22 PM
If you are interested in the show reports then I would go for it. Our Cats is the official GCCF paper and as such has all GCCF show reports. I find it better online as you can look back over the reports and years.

Fran
25-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I have the online subscription and a newspaper subscription to Our Cats. If I wasn't involved in showing, then I wouldn't bother with either as it is mainly full of show reports and ads and little else tbh. Our Cats and the GCCF have been in dispute for a while now and it's been put out to tender for another company to possibly take over the official GCCf newspaper/mag and show reports publications. It's still all up in the air atm, so it's not a great time to start subscribing until this is resoved imo.

pinklizzy
25-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I didn't realise any of that Fran, maybe I'll just make do with reading the sections on the website that can be viewed by non-members for now! Possibly enquire of our local newsagents as to whether they'd be able to get hold of it for me.
Thanks again to everyone for your replies!

Kay
25-05-2008, 07:13 PM
It has now been decided that Our Cats is the official paper for the GCCF. This happened at the last Gccf meeting. Our Cats is changing hands in August/September but they have said everything will remain the same. It did go out to tender with three tenders having been sent in. A vote was taken and Our Cats won by a majority vote.

Fran
25-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes it did Kay but Our Cats will be under new management apparantly :? Personally, I'd sit it out for a while and see how it all goes

Kay
25-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes it did Kay but Our Cats will be under new management apparantly :? Personally, I'd sit it out for a while and see how it all goes

That's what I said Fran :roll: . The new management are taking over in August/September. Louvane was at the GCCF meeting and told us all about it at the AGM. They have promised ;) that everything will remain the same even down to our new editor Nick Mayes.

Soupie
25-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I wish they would make some changes - once our breed are champ status I won't bother buying it anymore - I only do as I need the reports for application for progression. It is shockingly poor quality for the money - full of mistakes and hot air.

I WANT change! ;)