PDA

View Full Version : Adult and Elderly Food

Phoenix
25-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Does it make much difference if you give an elderly cat adult food occasionally?

I've got a small packet of Purina One adult dried food for Beauty, but Beauty is elderly. I couldn't find any elderly, I was wondering if that's OK?

I've mixed a tiny bit in her existing food (not found any whiskas elderly dried food yet either - adult is what she has when it comes to dried) and she seems to not mind it - she's been eating some of it.

pinklizzy
25-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Ideally I'd say that Beauty should have a senior diet but mixing in the occasional bit of adult food into her normal diet shouldn't cause her too many problems.
Most pet food ranges produce a 'senior' variation now, if whiskas is a brand you are happy with, they have senior dry and wet varieties although some places may not stock a full range of products.

Kazz
25-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Hiya I think a little bit every now and again is not going to hurt but I must admit I steered clear of dry food as my two got older as cats do suffer from kidney trouble and with dry they need to drink a lot with it, and I almost mised water in with their wet food. Bit bits now and again of something different shouldn't harm her.

Karen

Karen

dandysmom
25-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I only fed dry occasionally as a treat, because of the cystitis factor. My cats were never changed to senior food when they got old, primarily because they resisted the change, and seemed to be in excellent health. Misty died at 19 1/2, Patches at 20, so apparently it did no harm....Leis is only 9; I'll probably try to switch her to senior as she ages, but as she's Ms.Picky I won't be too surprised if she won't eat it either!

Kim
25-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I can remember the times when there was 'one food for all'!! I am sure it wont do her any harm. x

dandysmom
25-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I can remember the times when there was 'one food for all'[quote=Kim;482690]

Me too, Kim! There was only wet food available in large tins and it was a very smelly fish-based food! The cat I grew up with ate that and table scraps (awful thing to feed a cat as part of a regular diet), but who knew any better back in those days?! And Scamper lived to be 17, and he was an outdoor cat too! Oh, and during the War when meat was rationed, Mom made is use some of our meat points for the cat!

Phoenix
27-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Hiya I think a little bit every now and again is not going to hurt but I must admit I steered clear of dry food as my two got older as cats do suffer from kidney trouble and with dry they need to drink a lot with it, and I almost mised water in with their wet food. Bit bits now and again of something different shouldn't harm her.

Karen

Karen

Beauty seems to go phoo yuck to cat food with lumps in. The only wet cat food I can get her to eat is the pate variety.

angieh
27-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Merlin no longer eats "senior" food. He doesn't like it and it is so hard to come by in our local area - any variety is out. Now wouldn't you think that with an ageing cat population, firms would be pushing their "senior" range of food?

At the moment he eats a mixture of Felix supermeat fish and a large superstore's finest fish variety. He eats with gusto and cleans his plate nearly every time. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed him putting on any weight.

dandysmom
27-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Merlin no longer eats "senior" food. He doesn't like it and it is so hard to come by in our local area - any variety is out. Now wouldn't you think that with an ageing cat population, firms would be pushing their "senior" range of food?

At the moment he eats a mixture of Felix supermeat fish and a large superstore's finest fish variety. He eats with gusto and cleans his plate nearly every time. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed him putting on any weight.

Patches was like that also as a senior cat; ate like a stevedore and stayed as skinny as ever; weighed 8 1/2 lbs. all her life. I wonder if they somehow metabolize it differently as they age?

Kim
27-05-2008, 11:10 PM
I think they do Eileen. I have had several older cats who tended to lose weight. With 2 of them it has been due to hyperthyroidism, but this isn't always the case.

Kazz
28-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes I think they do too my two due to kidney probems especially with Oscar he ate and ate but his body used the food in a different way to what it did before.
I noticed Pasta worked well,

angieh
28-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes I think they do too my two due to kidney probems especially with Oscar he ate and ate but his body used the food in a different way to what it did before.
I noticed Pasta worked well,

How did you prepare the pasta Kazz? Just boiled presumably, chopped up but you must have added something tempting - what was it?

dandysmom
28-05-2008, 04:18 PM
How did you prepare the pasta Kazz? Just boiled presumably, chopped up but you must have added something tempting - what was it?

I'm curious about that also, Kazz! Little tubetti with tuna comes to mind....