PDA

View Full Version : European 'Wrong' Contest

PoshPuss
25-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm a bit grumpy this morning :evil:
I watched the European Song Contest last night and yes, I know, I'm a sucker for punishment ;) but I feel very let down by our continental cousins.
Andy Abraham's song wasn't half bad I thought considering the competition and some of the presentations were pretty bizzarre :shock: so I don't think we deserved to come last.
There was lots of political voting going on, so it seems we Brits are the Billy No-Mates of Europe :?
As Sir Terry Wogan said, is there much point the UK going on with this 'contest' . I think it's just outlived its purpose. i will be sorry to see it go tho...:cry:

angieh
25-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Billy No-Mates is about right PP! And don't we deserve it?

PoshPuss
25-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I agree, politically we've been isolated but as far as the ESC goes, I think they were a bit harsh in their marking. Andy sang really well and its a contemporary song, not a jokey skit like Bosnia, or off key like the Germans. :shock: Went through 2 bottles of rose wine watching the convivial back-slapping, so wasn't all bad :D :D

Soupie
25-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't bother watching it - it has been political for years now and rarely bears any correlation to quality of singing/song :roll:

Jules
25-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I didnt watch it either, knew we would come nowhere like always, dont think it would matter whether the song was good or not, we never get any votes.

PoshPuss
25-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't think I'll be tuning in next year even if they do decide to broadcast it. It seems to have had it's day. I fondly remember the great songs we had in it, Puppet on a String, Congratulations!, Beg Steal or Borrow, Save your Kisses for Me etc. as well as some outstanding Continental winners, remember Vicky Leandros' Come What May, Dana and All kinds of everything... now that was Eurovision :-D

MrsH
25-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I always watch the contest but go away and do something else during the voting as I know I'll get all stroppy and shout at the screen!

I absolutely loved it in the old days and as a languages student/teacher (depends on the era!) it was great having loads of entries sung in French (France, Monaco, Luxemburg/Belgium/Switzterland in a good year), wonderful practice for my listening skills.

However, I was there, in Spain, the night of that inglorious defeat of the sainted Cliff at the hands of some silly Spanish song with the lyrics "La,la, la" etc. Can you imagine how awful that was for us, a group of university students, in a bar, lording it over our Spanish student friends, just for Cliff to be pipped at the post! The humiliation!

Never mind, apparently he should have won, it was a fix, or so it has been reported.

alexgirl73
25-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I watched Andy Abraham sing and then switched it off. I knew we weren't going to get anywhere simply because of how attrocious the political voting has got. His was a good song, sung well, and how it came in last I'll never know. I don't believe the UK deserves to be billy no mates angie, just because not all of our policies match the slavic countries. it's supposed to be about singing, not politics.

Elaine
25-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I don't bother watching it - it has been political for years now and rarely bears any correlation to quality of singing/song :roll:

I completely agree.

Fran
25-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Absolutely agree 100% It's all down to politics and nothing else, sadly :(

Kim
25-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I watched Andy Abraham sing and then switched it off. I knew we weren't going to get anywhere simply because of how attrocious the political voting has got. His was a good song, sung well, and how it came in last I'll never know. I don't believe the UK deserves to be billy no mates angie, just because not all of our policies match the slavic countries. it's supposed to be about singing, not politics.

I absolutely agree! I haven't watched it for years I must say. In my opinion 'Waterloo' by Abba was one fo the best things to come out of it! I agree with PP though that some of the oldies entries were fab too.

Phoenix
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I've never watched it, I agree that it's all political voting now. (my brother's seen it)