PDA

View Full Version : About Anakin

random
23-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Right i'll rant now so as you are not left wondering while I do dinner

Went into a pet shop which I hardly ever go into as it's in the next town. Thought i'd pick up a few bits as i'm planning on getting some ratties in a wee while. Anyway they had in a wee dog crate 3 kittens. To cut a long story short, they hadn't been wormed, they hadn't been de-flea'd, their bed was half a cardboard box which was soaked in pee, they had no space outside of the box as there was a litter tray taking up the rest of the crate and a 1 food bowl and 1 water bowl to share next to the litter tray. No toys or blanket or anything else, that was it.

All 3 were dirty and smelt of pee. I asked their sex, I was told 3 girls, I looked myself, 2 boys and a girl. I told them this but they were adamant they had 3 girls. So they are selling kittens to people giving out the wrong sex.

They were supposed to be 6 and half weeks old. Personally I think they look about 5 weeks. He has a very suspicious pot belly so will get some wormer asap and let you know. Will get him to the vet next week and have him checked over.

Wish I could have took them all but they will only get more in their place and I keep buying them as they come in can I? Hopefully when I inform the RSPCA something will be done but I don't really have much faith in them at all. Also i'd have to do it anonymously I think as one good thing the pet shop did do was to take my name, address and phone number so I don't need any aggro from them.

I'm just cross at how they were kept and gutted about leaving the other 2 behind. They could have least given them a bigger crate and some toys. I don't like the idea of any animals being sold in shops anyway but especially kittens and puppies.

Rant over.

alexgirl73
23-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Poor little thing. I hope the RSPCA do something, but like you I don't hold out much hope. Two of our local pet shops also sell kittens, but they are at least kept in large cages with climbing frames etc. Drives me mad though. I'm sure the little one will thrive in your care.

Sweet
23-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Poor darlings, no wonder you want to rant, I did not realise Pet Shops sold kitties x

Jem
23-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I bought a Kitten from a pet shop once purely because there wasn't a chance in hell I was leaving her.
When I got her home she was covered in flea's and had a terrible worm problem. She also had a upper respitory infection and could barely open her eyes. She is now 6 and its the best thing I ever did.
When I went back to the pet shop to tell them the problems the vet had found, the man who owned the shop was chatting to a lady who had a box full of kittens! He was trying to barter on the price of them, I asked her why didn't she rehome them herself and her answer was "I want a decent price for them"!
I personally find it disgusting people would do this to any animal. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Moli
23-05-2008, 06:12 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: !!!!!!!

Mags
23-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I too thought Pet Shops weren't allowed to sell kittens and puppies anymore..:?

You're doing the right thing by reporting the shop Random, I hope something is done about it quickly..:mad:

alexgirl73
23-05-2008, 06:40 PM
It's up to individual councils whether they give a licence to the pet shops or not Mags.

Mags
23-05-2008, 06:42 PM
It's up to individual councils whether they give a licence to the pet shops or not Mags.
Thanks for making that point Alex, I didn't realise that..:?

random
23-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Will keep you posted on what the RSPCA say.

dandysmom
23-05-2008, 08:03 PM
That is pitiful; treating those little lives like selling cabbages or something..."a decent price"...makes me livid! I hope the RSPCA will do something.....

angieh
23-05-2008, 08:39 PM
So do I! Makes me livid.

Becca6
24-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Poor little kittens. It's so sad that pet shops are still selling them.

I got my first cat Gizmo from my local pet shop nearly 19 years ago and he was in a pitiful state when I got him. He was one of the last kittens they sold - they won't sell them now.

I did get my current cat Oliver from the same pet shop six years ago - he and his brothers and sisters were dumped in a cardboard box in the wheelie bin outside the pet shop :evil: so they took them in. I think there were five or six of them and they only sold them to people who had been customers for years, knowing that they would get the proper care and treatment.

Hope Anakin's brothers and sisters get lucky too.

Elaine
24-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Poor Anakin, I hope you get some joy from the RSPCA, I really do xxx
I think its bad enough that pet shops up here sell rabbits and hamsters and will be delighted to leave the petshop industry, that said i will be very worried at how the animals will be looked after when I have gone.
We have a pet shop in the city centre, the woman claimes to be able to get you any animal you want:shock: including merecats, skunks etc. Personally I find that disgusting and have never gone to see the shop myself coz it would upset me. My local shopkeeper told me last night that he was talking to a girl who was walking her skunk on a harness:twisted:

Kay
25-05-2008, 01:02 AM
It is an awful way for a kitten to be rehomed. Luckily Anakin has landed on his feet. Lets hope his brothers and sisters are as lucky. Good luck with the RSPCA but I personally have no faith at all in them from past experience.

angieh
25-05-2008, 12:53 PM
It's a shame how many people seem to think the RSPCA don't come up to the mark. They give the impression on TV programmes about the Society that they're wonderful. I am aware that they are a voluntary organisation and that they get no funding from central govt. and also they do not have the same legal powers as the animal protection people in USA do. But given all that, surely they must act when someone brings a complaint such as in Random's case here?

JBalways2000
25-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Poor Anakin(love the name by the way!) hes lucky to have been found by you, hopefully someone like you will feel the same way about the other two and they will get a decent home. i did want to say though that you would have much better luck reporting them to the council as they are the ones who give the pet shops their licences and they will be very interested to know whether they are following the rules or not so definately report them to those. i dont like the rspca at all for too many different reasons but i dont think they have much power when it comes to pet shops anyway so definately try the council. good luck and please do let us know how you get on.

Moli
25-05-2008, 01:31 PM
It's a shame how many people seem to think the RSPCA don't come up to the mark. They give the impression on TV programmes about the Society that they're wonderful. I am aware that they are a voluntary organisation and that they get no funding from central govt. and also they do not have the same legal powers as the animal protection people in USA do. But given all that, surely they must act when someone brings a complaint such as in Random's case here?
Up here the SSPCA is as much good as a chocolate fireguard!!! I reported a puppy farmer once, who was prepared to dock Boxers tails at 12 weeks!!!!They did nothing....:twisted:

random
25-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Don't get me started on the RSPCA honestly. They do look good on TV but when it comes to the crunch, they very rarely are much cop. Worst experience I had was with a dog being repeated left in a car on hot days, very dangerous for him, for hours on end, I mean 9-5 hours daily. I rang them every other day at one point for about 3 weeks, no one ever came out. Enough said.

Poor Anakin(love the name by the way!) hes lucky to have been found by you, hopefully someone like you will feel the same way about the other two and they will get a decent home. i did want to say though that you would have much better luck reporting them to the council as they are the ones who give the pet shops their licences and they will be very interested to know whether they are following the rules or not so definately report them to those. i dont like the rspca at all for too many different reasons but i dont think they have much power when it comes to pet shops anyway so definately try the council. good luck and please do let us know how you get on.
Thank you I will try the council too.

Up here the SSPCA is as much good as a chocolate fireguard!!! I reported a puppy farmer once, who was prepared to dock Boxers tails at 12 weeks!!!!They did nothing....:twisted:
Sounds as much use as ours.

random
29-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi guys, just another update on Anakin. He had his vet check today and my vet has confirmed what I thought about his age - he is about 6 weeks so about 5 weeks old when I brought him home (a week tomorrow!). He is also full of worms but bright enough in himself, eating and drinking ok. He is to go back when he is 8 weeks for his jabs as he is too small atm.

Rang the RSPCA and they basically said if there is nothing wrong with him they can't really do anything (this is before I found he had worms - although I had my suspicions I only found that out today). So will have to ring them back now and see if it changes matters, don't hold your breath, we'll see. :roll: My vet was also fuming at their flippant response when I told her.

Rang the council and never got through to whomever I needed to get through to, got passed around from pillar to post, people saying "oh no you need to ring this number....", only to ring it and be told the same thing. I'm not sure anyone knows what the hell they are doing in that place. :evil: Will try environmental health now as they are technically selling sick animals.

Apart from the obvious Anakin is doing really well and growing like a weed now, he's definitely bigger than the day I brought him home.

dandysmom
29-05-2008, 09:51 PM
How utterly discouraging! You must be soooo annoyed and angry that no one will do anything... :evil:

One bright spot...wee Anakin is flourishing, happy, well fed and well loved :D Give him a chin tickle for me, please .....

Moli
29-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical, no one wants to do anything!!!
Bless you Random, this little boy is so lucky, looking forward to watching him grow....

random
29-05-2008, 10:02 PM
How utterly discouraging! You must be soooo annoyed and angry that no one will do anything... :evil:

One bright spot...wee Anakin is flourishing, happy, well fed and well loved :D Give him a chin tickle for me, please .....
I'm fuming, very frustrated, everyone just seems to be passing the buck and the RSPCA just can't be bothered as per usual. And i'm still concerned for the other 2 as they will be full of worms too and haven't been wormed and might not even get wormed depending where they end up, and especially the wee boy who will be sold to someone being told he is a girl! :evil:

Typical, no one wants to do anything!!!
Bless you Random, this little boy is so lucky, looking forward to watching him grow....
Thank you Moli, yes it is typical, time and time again I have asked the RSPCA for help with numerous situations and not once have the been any help, even when animals lives are in danger. I'm not even surprised anymore at their lack of interest.

bobbie3917
30-05-2008, 02:14 AM
if it was me i would of been tempted to say the kitten were worse then they are (ie, sticky eyes crusty nose), then maybe the RSPCA might go and see them and
1, it might get the pet shop owner to clean things up
2, the rscpa person might think that they need to be taken from there for there own health

angieh
30-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Random - thanks for the update. I had been thinking about Ani and wondering how he'd got on. Guess that you'll be able to get rid of the worms without too much trouble. I always wonder whether it must be painful for the kitties - still much better out than it.

Very sorry for all the negative responses you've got from RSPCA and the council - pass the buck why not? Guess the next step could be contacting your local councillor or even your MP??? Or what about your local newspaper????