PDA

View Full Version : Litter tray problems

Phoenix
22-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Beauty seems to have a problem with her litter tray - the problem being she won't use it!

If she is really bursting to go she'll come and ask to be let out, or if it's night time she'll reluctanlty use it. She won't use it if she can help it though, and she may be holding in what she needs to do for as long as possible during the night time.

The vet hasn't mentioned anything wrong, so I can only assume Beauty hates litter trays.

Any way of persuading her the litter tray is there for her to use during the night?

Jem
22-05-2008, 04:39 PM
We had this problem when we got our first rescue cat ( patti ) She flatly refused to use it but would happily go else where in the house.
All I could think of to do at the time was at night put her in 1 empty room ( we used a empty back bedroom it just had carpet and a chair in it) at night, pick her food up at 8ish make sure her litter tray was clean and put her bed in the room, then slowly she got used to the idea of going in the tray as she didn't like to go on the carpet.
It did take a while but she got there eventually.
Im sure someone else will have a easier idea than mine though :lol:

claws_applause!
14-06-2008, 07:36 PM
what type of litter tray is it, is it a hooded one with a flap door as your cat may be reluctant to use the door, we got one without a door but its still hooded for her to use in privacy :)

Phoenix
14-06-2008, 08:39 PM
what type of litter tray is it, is it a hooded one with a flap door as your cat may be reluctant to use the door, we got one without a door but its still hooded for her to use in privacy :)

It's a non covered one, flat-ish and she can step in to it easy enough! It's in a quiet corner of the house and there's no other cats threatening her when she tries to use it! (they would have to fool us in to thinking they were Beauty, as we don't have a cat flap for Beauty - someone's nearly always home)

Elaine
14-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Just a thought, but if she has been in some pain and or discomfort while trying to pass a motion, she may well associate the pain and discomfort with the litter tray and in turn that would put her off using it.

Phoenix
15-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Just a thought, but if she has been in some pain and or discomfort while trying to pass a motion, she may well associate the pain and discomfort with the litter tray and in turn that would put her off using it.

She started doing this shortly after we got her.

dandysmom
15-06-2008, 08:49 PM
This is so obvious I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but was the litter you used when you rehomed her the one she was used to? Sometimes they really object to a different litter.......

Phoenix
16-06-2008, 03:24 PM
This is so obvious I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but was the litter you used when you rehomed her the one she was used to? Sometimes they really object to a different litter.......

I don't know what litter the rescue centre use so I'll have to find out from them.

We've alternated between different litters, a paper one, which she objected to, a wood based one (ditto) and little white clumpy stuff (not sure what it's called)

I'll ask the rescue centre what litter they use next time I go.

(I was thinking it was the tray itself she didn't like, or where it was or something. Tried moving it to a slightly different location, but that made no difference)

I am such an idiot! :oops:

Phoenix
21-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I've found out that even though it isn't EXACTLY the same brand of litter, it's the same kind, would that make any difference?

dandysmom
21-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't thnk so, but cats can be picky and particular....maybe it smells differently? Is it scented?

debbie1512
25-06-2008, 09:21 AM
is the litter tray near her food as cats don't like that either.

Phoenix
25-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't thnk so, but cats can be picky and particular....maybe it smells differently? Is it scented?

I don't think it is scented ... I'll have to find the litter bag now! :lol:

Phoenix
25-06-2008, 10:59 AM
is the litter tray near her food as cats don't like that either.

It's in the same room as her food, but not really near it.