PDA

View Full Version : Raven again :(

JBalways2000
21-05-2008, 03:39 PM
following on from this thread about Raven two weeks ago, thought it best to start a new one: http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=27440

Raven had been doing really well, was eating his prescription food fine and other then some prawns and cream on Hernies bday he has had nothing but his plain prescription food bless him. he seemed to be doing great, had his check up last wednesday and the vet was happy with him and said hes urine would just be tested in six weeks to make sure all was still ok. then yesterday afternoon he started washing himself down below again :( first we thought we were being paranoid but he hadnt urinated yesterday either(he has still been going on the carpet fortunately so we have been able to make sure he is going-first time ive been glad of naughty toilet habits lol) so this morning i rang to book him in and the vet rang me back when he saw we were down for an appointment and said to bring him straight in which was good of him.

vet had a feel and said it may just be bladder spasms but because of him having the blockage they will put him under and check again. lucky they did because when i rang to see if he could come home i was told he needs to stay in again as hes been catheterised again :( my partner has gone to speak to the vet now because the vet wanted to show us the x-rays and discuss whats going on(he said he would x-ray this time if it was another blockage to try and get a better idea of whats happening) so im just waiting for him to get back so i know whats what. im worried sick and feel awful knowing Raven will probably be in for a couple of days again the poor boy. i will update you all as soon as i know more, please keep your fingers crossed for my boy.

kado
21-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Give him a hug from us all here.

jane

JBalways2000
21-05-2008, 04:01 PM
My partner just rang to let me know what the vet said. there was a slight blockage again and they done the x-ray and this is what has concerned the vet. the vet said that when a cat has a blockage for a while it can cause thickening of the bladder wall and it will all be equally thick all around if that makes sense. on Ravens x-ray though there is thickness in only one area. the vet said hes never seen anything like that in a cat Ravens age(1 year 9 months) so he would like to do a cystoscopy. a cystoscopy is where they will remove part of the bladder wall, a tiny section and send it away for testing. i actually had this done myself a few years ago so i know exactly how my poor boy is going to be feeling tomorrow :( the vet said hes sure it will be nothing to worry about but he would rather rule out cancers etc and obviously if it is found to be something its better found sooner rather then later.

they said it will be done in the morning so he will probably have to stay in tomorrow again. he will be opened up to do it so the vet said he can get a proper look then too but i am so so worried. atleast to this point no incisions have been made so im sure i will be up all night worrying about him. they did let my partner into the cattery to see him though and he said he was purring straight away but that he looked comfortable.

the vet also said they will chage his food again from the c/d to s/d so hopefully that will be better.

Jac
21-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh poor you! You must be going through hell right now. At least you noticed he was having problems sooner rather than later.
I'm sure his op will be fine but I will be thinking about you both. I'm sure everyone here will be sending him good vibes. xx

angieh
21-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh JB - I am so sorry to hear that Raven is poorly again. It really is a huge concern for such a young cat. Do hope all goes well - healing vibes from me and from Merlin too and ***HUGS*** as well.

JBalways2000
21-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone, it really is very stressful. we keep wondering if we were right to agree to the cystoscopy as the vet said he doesnt think its anything to be concerned about but that he'd rather check. on one hand i would like to get it checked too because i would hate for in a month or two to discover its something more sinister that could have been got to now. on the other hand im wondering if we are putting him through an unnecassary operation. but then i wonder if im just being selfish because im so worried about the operation. i just wish i could have seen him this afternoon myself. oh what our cats do to us! they are worth it all though.

Mags
21-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry to hear Raven is poorly again .........lots of healing vibes being sent to him..:(

PoshPuss
21-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm also thinking of you as you and Raven go through this trying time JB. :( he's in my prayers that the op and its findings will be successful.

babycakes
21-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Poor Raven and poor you what a rollercoaster ride for you. I have evrything crossed for the op tomorrow XXX

Moli
21-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Hoping you get some good news tomorrow....Thinking of you and sending healing vibes and Hugs...xx

JBalways2000
22-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Thankyou again everyone, its nice having support from fellow cat lovers. i didnt sleep too well last night, felt sick all night and morning and my stomach was in knots :oops: finally managed to speak to the vet around 11am and they had done his op just as i rang(for the second time this morning lol) and said he was coming around good. he said there was alot of grit in his bladder so they flushed it all out and have taken the piece to send off to be tested and will have the results in maybe a week. he has to stay in again tonight :( but should be ok to come home tomorrow. will be sent home with S/D food but other then that i guess its just a waiting game to see what the results say. will be ringing again this afternoon to see how he is and how the op has effected him etc so will update again then. still feeling sick with worry because i just want my boy home now but atleast the op is over with so fingers crossed there will be nothing more to worry about! just hope this doesnt happen again in another two weeks :(

Mags
22-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Pleased to hear the op went ok for Raven, it will be good to have him home again tomorrow..:D

JBalways2000
22-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Thankyou Mags, it will definately be good to get him home! im missing him so much and i think the other boys are too again, they have been much quieter then usual. i woke up this morning and sat up and found all three of them squashed on the bed with us bless them.

i did just speak with the vet nurse, they are definately keeping him in tonight to make sure he goes the toilet and they are going to try him with the S/D food this afternoon but i have a feeling that he will be too scared to eat there again poor boy. she said that hes comfortable at the moment, thats what we like to hear! just got to ring again in the morning to make sure hes ok to come home and then arrange to get him. i really hope he can come home tomorrow, everyone keep fingers crossed! :)

kado
22-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Fingers crossed that he is home with his mummy tomorrow. Simon and guinness didnt eat anything while they where in there so i would worry to much about that. Healing vibes from us all here.

jane and the boys

alexgirl73
22-05-2008, 03:42 PM
poor Raven. I hope he's home with you tomorrow and that the vet can get to the bottom of his troubles ((hugs))

JBalways2000
22-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Thankyou both, i really cant wait until hes home, he must be upset with us for leaving him again bless him. i doubt he will eat anything at the vets again but maybe he'l sneak some through the night if they leave it down for him. i did forget to mention that the vet said they will be sending him home with a medicine to relax the muscles in his urether so he can wee easier. cant remember the name of it, begins with a D i think. he said hopefully it wont be long term and just while hes recovering from the op.

the boys are all being so quiet, they are definately missing him too. dont know what i would do without all my boys. i was saying to my partner earlier that it just isnt the same without all four of them together. right will update again tomorrow, hopefully il get some sleep tonight. thanks again xx

angieh
22-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi JB - glad Raven has had his op and is recovering. Hope you can bring him home tomorrow and fingers and toes crossed for the lab results. ***HUGS*** needed all round I suspect.

kado
23-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Hope he is home.

jane

JBalways2000
23-05-2008, 05:22 PM
HES HOMES!!!:D :D

we have just got home with him, the poor boy has to wear a cone bless him and he keeps trying to nudge his head into things and banging the cone-i know i shouldnt laugh but our heaters have ridges on them and he keeps running his head along one out of affection but the cone is running along it and making noise :lol: poor boy though, he seems to be handling it quite well considering. Rhino is scared of him though, but im sure he'l get over it.

right, now for what the vet said! he said he didnt seem keen on the s/d food but as soon as we got in i put some in a bowl and he wolfed it down as quick as his cone would allow but i did have to hand feed him most of it. hes had alot to drink too so thats good. the vet said he has been weeing fine too so thats another good thing. the vet was very good and explained absolutely everything which left me with no questions for once! :oops: he showed me the x-ray and we definately done the right thing in agreeing to the cystoscopy as i can see why he was concerned.

his belly is all shaved and stitched-caught a glimpse when he was sitting up. we have been given anti bs for him to prevent any infection from the operation and the other drug is called dibenyline. its to relax his urether in the hope that no more crystals form. other then that hes just back for a check up on tuesday and then waiting for the test results which he said will probably be a week.

it is sooooo good to have my boy home, i was so excited going to collect him and he was definately happy to see us and is just as happy to be home. im definately posting photos of him this evening so you can all see who has been causing all the worry!

oh, and before we even mentioned anything the vet said if we just leave another insurance claims form for them they will send it off and claim for me as a continuance so that was really good of them-especially as the bill was nearly £800 :shock: worth every penny to make my boy better though!

Thankyou all again for the well wishes and luck, we all appreciate it and will keep you all updated xx

alexgirl73
23-05-2008, 05:44 PM
yay, so glad he's home. He will probably be a bit strange for the next day or so bless him. That is good of your vet to have done that for you. Especially with such a large bill. Let's hope you get answers now.

Mags
23-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Wonderful news that Raven is home! :D

babycakes
23-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I am so glad hes home JB. Big relief for you all X Big cuddles from us X

angieh
23-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Wonderful news! So glad Raven is home safely - and eating his food and drinking! That's such good news too.

Very glad that you were happy with the vet's explanations and that he made everything clear to you. Hope that more answers become apparent when you get the test results through.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of the little guy - he's been in my thoughts a lot this week.

dandysmom
23-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh that is great news! And hes eating and weeing OK...wonderful! I know how relieved you must be that it's over and hes home ......

Kate S
23-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I am thinking of you. x

JBalways2000
24-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Thankyou everyone, it really is good to have him home. he barely left my side until this afternoon but think hes realised hes not going anywhere again so hes wondered into the other room now bless him. hes very miserable with the cone on and im wishing i could take it off but i really dont want to cause complications by him getting at his stitches.

he has been having all his meds very well and hes drinking and eating great(though awkwardly) and he has been for a wee twice now so the muscle relaxer drug seems to be working! everything is going well at the moment so fingers crossed it stays this way now.

oh and i have finally put some photos in the your cats pictures section so enjoy :D

JBalways2000
30-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Just to let you all know Raven went for his check up on tuesday and the vet was very pleased with how well he is healing. he will be having stitches out on wednesday so thats good. the vet also rang this morning to let us know the results of his biopsy.

there is nothing sinister going on, no cancer or anything which is fantastic news :D :D basically, some of the crystals embedded themselves in his bladder wall causing the inflammation. the vet said as they have flushed his bladder out getting rid of all that and hes on the stronger prescription food he shouldnt have anymore problems :D

so far so good, hes been weeing well and eating and drinking fine. the poor boy has barely left my side since hes been home bless him, im not complaining though! he did manage to get his cone off not long ago though :roll: hes left his stitches alone but i will be attempting to get it back on for him this afternoon.

So thankyou once again everyone, all those healing vibes definately helped! he sends whiskery kisses and cuddles.

he will need his urine testing in about 6 weeks so unless anything else happens before then i will be sure to update to let you all know how hes getting on :D

Mags
30-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Fantastic news that Raven has got the all clear from the vet, I'm pleased that he is now doing so well..:D

MrsH
30-05-2008, 03:52 PM
What great news, such a relief for you.

dandysmom
30-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Wonderful news about Raven! What a relief......

angieh
30-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Very good news JB. Please give little Raven a gentle cuddle from me and pass on some purrrrrs from his uncle Merlin.

JBalways2000
01-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Thankyou everyone, it certainly is a relief! purrs have been passed along to Raven from his uncle Merlin too :D

obviously Raven doesnt think he has worried me enough because somehow he managed to pull all but two of his stitches out :shock: i have no idea how because we only allowed him to have his cone off for a couple of hours and we were watching him like a hawk the whole time. thankfully his incision site has healed enough that it didnt open or anything like that but now there is a lump/fluid under the skin where the incision is!! shall be ringing the vets first thing as im sure they will want to check that it isnt an abcess or anything. oh these cats are taking years off my life! :roll: :lol:

pinklizzy
01-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Is there any discharge from the wound? Is it inflammed? If not, it's likely to be a seroma (a build up of serous fluid) which can occur after sutures are removed and generally resolve without needing any treatment. Obviously you should still contact your vet but hopefully it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Naughty Raven, worrying his mum like this!

dandysmom
01-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Is there any discharge from the wound? Is it inflammed? If not, it's likely to be a seroma (a build up of serous fluid) which can occur after sutures are removed and generally resolve without needing any treatment. Obviously you should still contact your vet but hopefully it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Naughty Raven, worrying his mum like this!

PL, can you explain why some vets use the stitches that dissolve and some don't? That has always puzzled me. Misty had the dissolvable ones when she was spayed; Leia didn't.

JBalways2000
01-06-2008, 05:09 PM

nope no imflammation and no discharge, infact the skin has healed really well where he was opened up so hopefully its what you said! will definately contact the vets though, he needs to have his two :roll: stitches removed anyway so will probably get them to give it a check then. thanks for that though, and yes hes very naughty!:lol:

pinklizzy
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
PL, can you explain why some vets use the stitches that dissolve and some don't? That has always puzzled me. Misty had the dissolvable ones when she was spayed; Leia didn't.

I'll try my best Eileen! I think that for the main part it has to do with the surgeon's abilities and the length of the anaesthetic. Dissolvable stitches involve putting a layer of suture into the subcuticular of the skin. They can be tricky to place correctly and if the surgeon is more inexperienced, can take longer to do. Obviously, it is always preferable for the animal to have as short an anaesthetic as possible so the vet may opt to put in skin sutures which are much quicker to place.
We use dissolvable sutures if we know an animal is particularly likely to have a go at removing them themselves and also for feral cat spays etc and it does tend to give a neater scar.
Does that help? Sorry it's a bit rambling!

dandysmom
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll try my best Eileen! I think that for the main part it has to do with the surgeon's abilities and the length of the anaesthetic. Dissolvable stitches involve putting a layer of suture into the subcuticular of the skin. They can be tricky to place correctly and if the surgeon is more inexperienced, can take longer to do. Obviously, it is always preferable for the animal to have as short an anaesthetic as possible so the vet may opt to put in skin sutures which are much quicker to place.
We use dissolvable sutures if we know an animal is particularly likely to have a go at removing them themselves and also for feral cat spays etc and it does tend to give a neater scar.
Does that help? Sorry it's a bit rambling!

Thanks so much; that was very informative! The vet who did Misty had been in small animal practice for years, so I assume he'd done many many spays. Whereas, the one down in Maryland who did Leia knew she was coming to a house with two adult cats and as Nora said to me, he wanted to be sure she was stitched up tight :-D !
Her stitches were purple and I had a dreadful time getting them out ...:roll:

JB: apologies for hijacking your thread with this! :oops:

JBalways2000
01-06-2008, 10:58 PM
no problem dandysmom, i was wanting to know myself actually! i suppose with how long Raven would have been under already with his op and the fact that they used dissolvable stitches to stitch his bladder back up probably explains why they used normal ones for the last part.

he has just been lying on his back on my lap(something hes been doing often lately so il scratch those nasty stitches for him :roll: :lol: ) you could see the lump better and it is quite large so will definately feel better if a vet has a check of it. here was me thinking all the Raven drama was over, wishful thinking!

angieh
02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
That's one naughty little Raven, JB. What a worry he's put you through. Let's hope it is now good news about the lump when you see the vet.

Oh and thanks pinklizzie for the info on different types of stiches - most helpful.

JBalways2000
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
he is indeed a naughty one, but hes been too lovey lately to stay mad at him for too long :lol:

my partner is just on the way back from the vets with him but rang to let me know that hes fine. the vet took his last two stitches out which means we are going to have one very happy crazy cone free cat when he gets home! :lol: she said the lump is most likely a heamatoma or, as pinklizzie said, a build up of fluid and to just keep an eye on it incase its gets bigger but it should go on its own. so fingers crossed this really is the last of the problems now-not holding my breath though :roll: :lol:

pinklizzy
02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Glad it's hopefully not too serious and he's no longer going to be a cone-head!

dandysmom
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Happy news! Give the little fellas a chin tickle from me!

JBalways2000
02-06-2008, 10:44 PM
ahh i cant catch a break with this cat! :shock: :lol: right before my fiance brought Raven to the vets he had a little coughing fit. i thought he was getting up a hair ball but when i was getting him into the carrier he was wheezing a little. he was checked at the vets and the vet couldnt hear anything on his chest and said he sounded fine and was probably a hairball afterall but again, to keep an eye on it. well the poor lad has coughed quite a few times since coming home now :? not sure if hes doing it out of sympathy with me because im down with the flu at the moment :lol: but still a little worrying. he is fine other then that, no runny eyes or discharge from nose and hes not coughing anything up but still worried-anyone know what might cause this? maybe i should start a seperate thread, just think this little guy has had enough forum space for one month! :oops: :lol: