PDA

View Full Version : The Wasp!!!

Moli
20-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Discovered this morning a wasp making a nest in my shed, it was still quite a small nest, so got my son to catch the wasp and the nest in a glass and take it to the woods to dispose of....Do not mind wasps, but not in my shed...
Went back round to the shed, and blow me!!:roll: it was back!!!:shock: :shock: It has since flown away, but quite expect to go in there tomorrow and it will be making another nest, trouble is, its getting in with the door shut, and I do not where!:roll:

Mags
20-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I hate wasps! We have had a couple of quite big nests in out loft over the years and we've had to get someone in to remove them. When they come to the door, they look just like spacemen with all the gear they wear!!:lol:

angieh
20-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes I'm afraid I hate wasps too! I am allergic to their sting and have to go to hospital if I am stung. Only been stung once so far!

Nearly every year we get a wasps nest (or two) somewhere. Last year we had 2 - one beside the path to the back door and another in a raised bed at the bottom of the garden. We call the same company every year and they arrive just as Mags describes above! The same chap trots along every year - he's really knowledgeable about wasps and I even got quite interested in them last year (well, nearly!)

Have you ever seen a hornet though? They are scary and very large, bit like a big wasp.

dandysmom
20-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Moli, what kind of nest is it making? Is it a mud-dauber one or a paper one? Apparently it's determined to build in your shed; the catch and release doesn't seem to be working. If I were you I'd get the wasp spray and then spray it at night while it's sleeping; that's what I've done.

I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings also, not the really severe allergy that sends you into anaphylactic (sp?) shock, but I get horrible huge swellings and need to go to the ER for a shot!

We have an enormous hornet here called a cicada killer..I'll see if I can find a pic...it's scary! Almost two inches long!

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/images/cicadakiller.jpg

yola
20-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Have you ever seen a hornet though? They are scary and very large, bit like a big wasp.

LOL, yes! We've just this minute caught one in a jar and put it outside as my brother was having kittens and my pregnant colleague just whisked it into a jar and took it into the car park!

What a wuss he is :roll: ;) :roll:

Donna
20-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Its scary how it finds it way back quicker than you can get home LOL!

angieh
20-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Don't like the sound of the cicada killer, Eileen but it looks handsome enough (yuk :shock: ). Does it sting people as well as killing cicadas? By the way, I was thinking about the book "What Katy Did" a while ago and believe that a katydid (sp?) is another name for a cicada. Is that right, do you know?

What a coincidence Yola! Your pregnant colleague must have a very cool head in a crisis and your brother should be ashamed of himself :oops:

yola
20-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Eileen - that is EXACTLY the brute that we had . . . about 2 inches long is about right, and he was that orangey colour. I think it's about the 6th time that they've slung him out only to have to do it again the next day :shock:

Jac
20-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Moli I'll come sort it out. I'll give it the "look":lol:

dandysmom
20-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't like the sound of the cicada killer, Eileen but it looks handsome enough (yuk :shock: ). Does it sting people as well as killing cicadas? By the way, I was thinking about the book "What Katy Did" a while ago and believe that a katydid (sp?) is another name for a cicada. Is that right, do you know?

What a coincidence Yola! Your pregnant colleague must have a very cool head in a crisis and your brother should be ashamed of himself :oops:

The cicada killer isn't generally a people stinger, will leave you alone if you leave it alone, but can if annoyed and I've heard it's a nasty sting. Katydids are related to crickets; have never heard them referred to as cicadas. Some people still refer to cicadas as 17 year locusts, although they're not related at all to locusts. Here's a katydid, I think they're cute...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Tettigonia_viridissima_AB.jpg/220px-Tettigonia_viridissima_AB.jpg

dandysmom
20-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Eileen - that is EXACTLY the brute that we had . . . about 2 inches long is about right, and he was that orangey colour. I think it's about the 6th time that they've slung him out only to have to do it again the next day :shock:

I think after the second time I'd just have stomped him!

Moli
20-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Moli, what kind of nest is it making? Is it a mud-dauber one or a paper one? Apparently it's determined to build in your shed; the catch and release doesn't seem to be working. If I were you I'd get the wasp spray and then spray it at night while it's sleeping; that's what I've done.

I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings also, not the really severe allergy that sends you into anaphylactic (sp?) shock, but I get horrible huge swellings and need to go to the ER for a shot!

We have an enormous hornet here called a cicada killer..I'll see if I can find a pic...it's scary! Almost two inches long!

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/images/cicadakiller.jpg

It was making a paper nest DM, checked on the net, and it said if its nest was destroyed, she would make one somewhere else, luckily she has not returned....

dandysmom
20-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Good news,Moli! :D

angieh
21-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I guess it must have been a Queen wasp Moli - what a good thing you got rid of her at the beginning or you would have had all her progeny in your shed too!

Thanks for clarifying the katydid question, Eileen. I like crickets and grasshoppers. We get quite a lot of them, especially grasshoppers, here - late July/August. They do tend to come indoors by mistake, but they are never a chore to scoop up and put outside again.

dandysmom
21-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Cats love grasshoppers! All of mine have loved chasing them out in the back garden, harnesses and all...they jump so nicely when poked with a paw! Most of them get away but the occasional one gets eaten... yuk!

Jac
21-05-2008, 04:22 PM
If she does come back Moli just kill it:lol: