PDA

View Full Version : My cat was hit by a car at the weekend! :o(

Autumn
19-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Ah, my poor Cody was hit by a car outside the house on Saturday. Luckily, it appears to be only tail damage, she is very sore and isn't moving her tail. I rushed her straight up to the vet, they checked her pelvis and legs, and nothing is broken, however, they are not sure of the damage to her tail. They kept her in overnight for observation, she managed to go to the toilet and was eating well, her colour and heart rate were good also so she wasn't suffering too badly from shock. She seemed sorer this morning, she was hissing when moving as she was in pain, she is back at the vets tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about tail damage? The vet said it might just take a while, even a couple of months to recover. She has feeling in it. Worse case scenario is she may have to have all or part of her tail amputated, which would be a pity as it's such a feature of a Maine Coon but I'm happy she's alive more than anything, she was very lucky. It's so anoying, we live in the middle of nowwhere, surrounded by fields and open farmland, but they do insist on venturing upto the lane. [:(!]

angieh
19-05-2008, 04:43 PM
So so sorry to hear about Cody, Autumn. What does your vet say about her tail? If she actually still has feeling in it then it's probably worth waiting to see. Many years ago, my cat Merlin was bitten at the base of his tail and the bite got infected and he had an abscess and seemingly lost the use of his tail, but it did recover eventually - took quite a while though.

As you say, you are very lucky that Cody wasn't more seriously injured. Poor sweetie, she must be very sore - gentle chin tickle from me and purrrrs from Merlin and a tail whisk (just to show her that she will get her tail back if she's a patient puss!)

Autumn
19-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Ah thanks angieh, the vet says at the moment it's just time and time is a good healer as they say. He's hoping that as she's no toilet problems and does have some feeling in her tail, it will recover, but may take months. We'll know a bit more when we take her back tomorrow. She's not on any pain killers now as that will mask anything when we take her back to the vets. I'm just leaving her quiet, she just wants to hide away, bless her. Although she does chirp at me when I stroke her! The vet said that it could result in full or partial amputation but we won't know yet. I'm just hoping she's been ok whilst I'm out at work, they are a worry aren't they?!

yola
19-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh poor Cody :( Thankfully it wasn't worse . . . and hopefully she'll make a full recovery. I'll keep everything crossed for her.

Hugs to you both.

PoshPuss
19-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Ouch! poor Cody. Sending speedy get well wishes to her and kind thoughts for you Autumn.

Mags
19-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Poor Cody, I hope she'll be alright..:(

Jac
19-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I hope Cody gets stronger by the day.

EmmaG
19-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I hope she gets better soon.

A friend of my parents had a cat that had it's tail damaged (can't remember how) and she had to have it amputated. She still managed without any problems and look quite cute :) but she was a little poppet anyway.

charliebubs
19-05-2008, 08:14 PM
What a relief it wasn't any worse. I'd say that's one of her nine lives :shock: bless her :)

I hope she makes a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.

dandysmom
19-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Thank God it wasn't worse! Fingers crossed that an amputation won't be needed and that Cody will regain full use of her tail. Sending healing vibes; do let us know how she's doing...

MrsH
19-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Poor Cody, hoping that it's just badly bruised.

nursecroft
19-05-2008, 10:34 PM
My old cat was jit by a car and we had to have her beautiful tail amputated :( she recovered but got hit again and killed :cry: we had 60 acres of farmland behind us and lived on a country road, was a biggish road though and had one acr the other side they still crossed the road! Its so frustrating and heartbreaking i know how you feel. Fingers corssed for you and your kitty x

bobbie3917
19-05-2008, 11:46 PM
i hope all goes well at the vets and its only swelling of the tail and that he does not have to lose it

Sasadams
20-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Poor Cody, hope she's feeling better soon! x

Mags
26-05-2008, 09:25 PM
How is Cody now, any news about her tail?:?