PDA

View Full Version : Baskets & Tubs...

Moli
18-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I have a cold frame full of baskets waiting to go out and growing like daft, a greenhouse full of tubs and a flower tower also waiting to go out, and growing like mad....But when I will get them out goodness knows, on the airport run this morning, I went thriough rain, hail stone, sun and wind, the temp went from 9 down to 4 on the way down, and 4 up to 9 on the way back!!!:roll: Has anyone put theirs out yet???

alexgirl73
18-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I have my baskets up out front. It is quite a sheltered spot, so not usually any probs putting them out now. Seem to be taking well.

Kazz
18-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Done my hanging basket up now Moli and put it out this afternoon............praying ofr reasonable weather. Some of the tubs have bee out a week. Some of the baskets still to do.

Moli
18-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I am tempted to put them out, but sense tells me to wait till the end of the month...

Kazz
18-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I'd wait Moli, I was tempted to put mine out the start of the month but waited always worth waiting till middle May here you must be about a fortnight/month behind us. Wait not worth wrecking them

Mags
18-05-2008, 09:48 PM
The weather forecast did mention a frost in some places tonight ......... not sure where though:?

Moli
18-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Just been round and shut my greenhouse door...Its very sheltered where the greenhouse sits, surrounded by a big hedge and a wall, so well protected...

dandysmom
18-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Different side of the Pond but same problem! I have nine amaryllis waiting to go outside, two Xmas cacti, a big fern and an enormous spider plant, plus some small spider plants and a night blooming cereus ! It's been too rainy and chilly! And the soil's not warm enough yet to plant my shell beans......

Moli
18-05-2008, 09:54 PM
What are shell beans DM???

Moli
18-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I am running out of space, have 2 patio plants in the conservatory too..!

dandysmom
18-05-2008, 10:18 PM
What are shell beans DM???

Beans that you cultivate for the edible seeds instead of the pods. You shell them like peas. I found these years ago in a small garden catalogue that specialized in European seeds, and that also gave recipes! I grow Borlotti; they are delicious with a drizzle of olive oil, a drop of vinegar and a good sprinkle of fresh-ground pepper. They may be available fresh in some cities with a large Italian population, but not here,,,if you want some you have to grow them yourself.

Here's a link:

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/197.html

Kim
18-05-2008, 10:21 PM
We planted our runner beans today and have bedding plants ready to go out.

Moli
18-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the link DM, may just try some of those....

random
18-05-2008, 11:17 PM
No I have just done my baskets but they are not out yet and my dad has some runner beans which are now about 6" on the windowsil and growing like the clappers, I also have some other various seedlings, some which i'm still waiting to germinate. Some are quite slow to go anyway but have found they are taking their time on the windowsil this year, in two minds if to put them in the airing cupboard or not to start them off. The weather has been a bit weird with 2 really hot sunny days then back to having the heating on so i'm just waiting before putting the ones ready to go out incase we get a frost, have the pots all over the bloomin' kitchen in the new house mind and the baskets in the shed on the windowsil and it's worse as I have double with doing more ready for the new garden and some for my dad's.

bobbie3917
19-05-2008, 02:20 AM
my bigger plants went out a few weeks ago and have all done fine, baskets have been done for about 2 weeks but only today went up (needed new hooks) they have been hagging on the line since i done them mind and are fine and starting to flower nice,

smaller plants that i only put to seed in march will be going out in the next few days but im glad i weighted now cos we have a frost tonight so i dont think the smaller plants would live though it