PDA

View Full Version : Simon is pining

kado
16-05-2008, 06:32 PM
After what happened to Kay, Simon is naturally pining. I dont know what to do. He isnt the same he wont eat much and has attatched his self to my OH. He is tollerating the kittens. We are all spending time with him but he doesnt want to know. Its breaking my heart to see him like this, Kay was his soul mate and they had being together since kay was 7wks old. Should i take him to the vet or am i panicking a bit.

Jem
16-05-2008, 06:38 PM
oh bless him, sorry to put my foot in it but is kay not with u anymore?
When Snoopy was on her own we had to get another, she used to follow me round constantly n would cry at the window when i went to work, so it was the best thing to do for her.

MrsH
16-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I feel so sorry for Simon but I really don't know what to suggest. The only experience I've had which was a bit like this was when our old spaniel passed away.

One of our cats had been very close to the dog and pined for her, looking for her everywhere, lying where her basket had been. It was heart-breaking to see.

We just gave her a lot more attention, encouraging her to play rather more, grooming her more often, sometimes up to 3 times a day, just so that she had a lot of activity in her day. Eventually she stopped looking for the dog but remained quite clingy for some time.

dandysmom
16-05-2008, 09:04 PM
When Sultan had to be PTS I made the mistake of not showing him to Misty. All she knew was that he'd gone to the vet and not come home: she visibly pined and went looking for him. She was also harness trained but never walked much past the end of the block: this time for about a week she walked all over the neighborhood looking and sniffing the spots where he's sprayed. Then she just gave up. I think Simon will grieve and be off his food for a bit, but gradually come out of it. At least that was my experience.....Hopefully the kittens might help bring him out 9f his depression somewhat.....

kado
16-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I think they will. He's being coming out a bit tonight and has had a couple of treats as well. I have no problems with kado or guinness. Guinness has even washed one of the chester he was realy gentle with him. Simon did see us take kay and was by hiself in the house until we came back. He did see her when she came in and when he does sit on my knee he realy hooks his paws on.

jane

Moli
16-05-2008, 10:38 PM
When my Sam died, Leo pinned for months, eventually he settled down, but became more affectionate to me, and would sit on my knee...While Sam was alive he was very aloof....

angieh
19-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Ah poor Simon. I really think that you should treat Simon as if he was a grieving person. Plenty of love and cuddles and lots of attention when he will tolerate it and leave him be when he won't. I am not sure what a vet could do for him, but if you are worried I think you should ask.

kado
19-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Simons being off and on today. Sometimes he has tolerated the kittens the other times he has given then a sharp tap. He hasnt hissed at them all day, which is progress. I actually fed them all at the same time today. well simon kado and guinness pinched there food and so in the end they all had some.

jane

babycakes
21-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Hows Simon doing now??? (only just read this thread). My cat pined for his brother when he died but not lg after we acquired a new one (came wondering in noone wanted him so he stayed) and he was better then