PDA

View Full Version : Feeding raw

Jem
15-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I feed Shila raw as her breeder recommended it. Snoopy and Peanuts eat Whiskas meat n whiskas biscuits but im wondering about feeding my new arrivals raw.
Does anyone already do this and if so how?
Or is it a very bad idea im just not very sure on it all to be honest.

smudgley
15-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I think Fran feeds a raw diet - I'm sure she'll be along soon.

babycakes
15-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I feed raw food occasionally to Denis only fresh meat though, chicken pork lamb and beef he smacks his lips and loves every minute. But I don't feed it exclusively as I am not sure he would get all the right vitamins and minerals

Kim
15-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Shila is your dog isn't she? I feed my dogs a raw (BARF) diet and they do extremely well on it. Most days they have 1 1/2 blocks eaqch of natures menu raw feeding mince, this comes in a variety of flavours and has raw veg and lightly cooked rice in it. They have 2 raw chicken wings as well. I also give them raw chicken and turkey necks, ribs, rabbit, etc. They don't like raw offal, so I do cook this and they have it every couple of weeks. They also have some kind of oily fish every couple of weeks to keep their coat in good condition. I used to buy packs of human grade mince from the supermarket, but apart from being costly I really think the natures menu is better and they absolutely love it!. I also give my dogs RMB's (Raw meaty bones) Good for their teeth too! Never give cooked bones. There is a lot of advice and forums about raw feeding, just type BARF into your search engine. If you are going to continue this way of feeding, I can give you the names & websites of suppliers of raw meat for pets. In my opinion this is the best way to feed your dog! Hope this helps.

babycakes
15-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry posted my reply before I saw the pic of Shila, duh!!

I knew someone who always fed her dogs raw and she claims it stopped them from smelling and being hyper

Jem
15-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Shila is your dog isn't she? I feed my dogs a raw (BARF) diet and they do extremely well on it. Most days they have 1 1/2 blocks eaqch of natures menu raw feeding mince, this comes in a variety of flavours and has raw veg and lightly cooked rice in it. They have 2 raw chicken wings as well. I also give them raw chicken and turkey necks, ribs, rabbit, etc. They don't like raw offal, so I do cook this and they have it every couple of weeks. They also have some kind of oily fish every couple of weeks to keep their coat in good condition. I used to buy packs of human grade mince from the supermarket, but apart from being costly I really think the natures menu is better and they absolutely love it!. I also give my dogs RMB's (Raw meaty bones) Good for their teeth too! Never give cooked bones. There is a lot of advice and forums about raw feeding, just type BARF into your search engine. If you are going to continue this way of feeding, I can give you the names & websites of suppliers of raw meat for pets. In my opinion this is the best way to feed your dog! Hope this helps.

Hey hun shila is on part barf n part complete. I was wondering how i could feed the cats raw cos im a bit blurry on this side of it all. I dont no if the same rules for feeding the dog raw applies for cats x

Mags
15-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's some links to the threads where this subject has been discussed before.......

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26542&highlight=Feeding+raw+to+cats

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15440&highlight=Raw+feeding

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=24308&highlight=Feeding+raw+to+cats

Kim
16-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I knew someone who always fed her dogs raw and she claims it stopped them from smelling and being hyper

Well, Caleb is still hyper, but that's because he is very young! ;) I think the reasons dogs are hyper on commercial food is all the additives - just look at all the colours in Bakers! yuk!

Hey hun shila is on part barf n part complete. I was wondering how i could feed the cats raw cos im a bit blurry on this side of it all. I dont no if the same rules for feeding the dog raw applies for cats x

Sorry, I did wonder whether you wanted info for Shila or your cats. Sorry, I can't help re your cats, mine have the odd bit of raw mince but that's all, they tend to turn their noses up!!

charliebubs
16-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I feed raw to the cats from time to time. Chicken and beef mince mainly. If you feed beef make sure that you freeze it first and then thoroughly defrost it, as that kills and bugs and germs.

I also feed them the Natures Menu frozen bite sized bits that you can buy in pet shops - they are suitable for both cats and dogs and my Kuta loves them!!!

I also give Kuta raw chicken wings - which she loves and devours (including the bones) but the others turn their noses up at them!!!! :)