PDA

View Full Version : Dear old Suzy

Elaine
15-05-2008, 03:22 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/The%20dogues/HPIM0890.jpg
Getting a little worried for her now. She is aprox 9 years old and her back legs are begining to fail her. I cannt walk her very far and she isnt putting alot of weight on her back right leg. She is going to the vets on Monday and I really hope they can help her feel more comfortable and less painful. I love that dog to bits. Today we just had a short walk round the block, gave her a pigs ear to munch on while I gave her a good groom, then took her back to her owners shop.

angieh
15-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Is 9 old for a Dogue then Elaine?

Mags
15-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Poor Suzy, I hope the vet can do something to alleviate her pain...:(

She certainly looks a lovely dog.

Elaine
15-05-2008, 06:01 PM
They reckon the average life span of a dogue to be 10 to 12 years, so she is getting on a bit. Just hope the vets can do something to aleiviate her pain.

angieh
15-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm sure the vet will be able to give her something (like Metacam) to ease her pain. Fingers crossed for Monday!

Elaine
15-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm sure the vet will be able to give her something (like Metacam) to ease her pain. Fingers crossed for Monday!

She is already on the maximum dose of metacam. When i took her to the vet a wee while back they said to up her metacam, to the max if needed, well she's needed it despite the warmer weather. They did say to me that there was another drug they could try but I forget the name, so here's hoping they do that and that it helps. They may well want to take new xrays just to see exactly what the state of play is with her joints.
Anyway, please have your fingers crossed that something can be done to help her.xxx

Erin
15-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Poor baby,really hope the vet can give her something else.
Give her kisses from me when you next see her xxx

Liz
15-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Elaine see if they can do Rymadyl worked wonders for our old boy Breeze gave him his back legs back for 7 years

Hope the vets visit goes well

Elaine
15-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanx Liz will mention it to her owner.
Erin, she was kissed to death by me today:lol:

Moli
15-05-2008, 10:47 PM
She is a gorgeous girl Elaine, the way you describe her back legs sounds very like Mollies problems, she was on metacam, but was changed about 6 months ago to new pain killers, which have given her a new lease of life, she is 9...

angieh
15-05-2008, 11:36 PM
From Liz and Moli's comments above, there does seem to be some hope of at least getting Suzy more comfortable Elaine. Let's hope so.

pinklizzy
16-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Have they tried any supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin) in something like cosequin or seraquin? Might help, in conjunction with the NSAIDS.

Elaine
16-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Have they tried any supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin) in something like cosequin or seraquin? Might help, in conjunction with the NSAIDS.

I did speak to the owner and the vet about that a while ago. The vet said to give her pedigree joint care:? . I also spoke about changing her food to a senoir food containing condoitin and glucosamine, vet didnt seem to say much about that and owner hasnt changed her food.
Was talking with him a little this morning as it suddenly dawned on me that the owner has a new g/f. She lives in town. So I suggested that if she lives in a flat, which is highly likely, that the stairs would be making her worse.

pinklizzy
16-05-2008, 09:04 PM
The vet suggested Joint care!!!! :shock: That scares me! Hope they can find a way to make her more comfortable.

Elaine
16-05-2008, 09:13 PM
The vet suggested Joint care!!!! :shock: That scares me! Hope they can find a way to make her more comfortable.

Yes i wasnt overly impressed with that either but she's not my dog or vet so didnt feel like I could argue the point really.

pinklizzy
16-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes i wasnt overly impressed with that either but she's not my dog or vet so didnt feel like I could argue the point really.

I totally understand! Suprised I still have a tongue, the number of times I have to bite it! ;)

Moli
16-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Mollie has been on Cosequin for the past 5 years, and have to say it really helps her, she is now also on Prendo Leucotrop, she can have 2 a day, but I find 1 is enough....

Elaine
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Suzy has finally been put on Seraquin and is definately feeling the benefits from it. Sadly she has two melanomas on the insides of her cheeks which we have to keep an eye on. She was in very good spirits today and really enjoyed a good romp around the feild, followed by a bath and a good groom.
Will get some piccies of her next week;)

Moli
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Brilliant to hear she has at last been piut on medication.....you should see a difference in her now....

Elaine
24-06-2008, 09:45 AM
There is a huge difference in SuzyQ, she is doing very well and is much more active.
However, I am a little worried. She has two melanomas on the insides of her cheeks which we have to keep an eye on but this morning I think I have found another on the bridge of her nose:(

angieh
24-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh dear - poor old Suzy. Are you permitted/can you take her to the vet without her owner being there?

yola
24-06-2008, 10:17 AM
What a lovely dog! It's good to hear that her joint problem is being helped but the melanoma sound a bit worrying. I hope that it can be easily dealt with and she can continue with a good quality of life.

Elaine
24-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I am just waiting on the owners mother to call me back. Have had a look inside her mouth at the other two, one seems to me to have grown a little more. The one on her nose is tiny, I only noticed it as I was giving her face a good wash this morning.
I am quite frightened for her now as I have been reading about facial melanomas all morning.:cry:
I have also noticed a little blood on her chew bone this morning.

Elaine
24-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I have been told that she is due back in the vets next week when her owner comes home, so will wait and see. In the mean time I am gonna love her to bits;)