PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed...

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 05:18 PM
please could you give me any advice on how to look after a 5 week old kitten?? thanks

yola
14-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow - 5 weeks? That's every so young for a kitten to be leaving its Mum. How come you're having to take it at this tender age? Has the Mum rejected it?

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 06:29 PM
no.. the breeder wants them gone at that age... I don't know why! I know its very young but I just wanted some advice thanks

Elaine
14-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Not a very good breeder then:shock: 5 weeks is very young for the kittens to be taken away from mum.

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 07:43 PM
yes I know this... I was just wondering what kind of advice as far as helping look after the kitten anyone on here had thanks

dandysmom
14-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Is he/she eating solid food? That's dreadfully young! I've never had such a young kitten; hopefully some of the members with experience of this will be on soon with some tips for you. Good luck!

babycakes
14-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Denis was found feral at 4 weeks and the shelter had him until he was 8 weeks, he was weaned then on whiskers kitten food by the time I got him.

Smudgely may be the best person to advise as I'm sure she will have been in a similar situation with her resues. If she doesn't see this post then I would pm her to ask for advice.

I would also consider reporting this breeder as they obviously do not have the welfare of kittens at heart

Elaine
14-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I have to agree with BC, Kay may be another one that may be able to help too.

yola
14-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I can't offer any advice sorry as mine were 12 weeks when I had them and litter trained (sort off) and on solids.

Fran also might be able to help, or SarahD, infact any one of our breeders.

Hopefully someone will come along soon with loads of good advice. It might help to know though how much the breeder has done in terms of litter training, weaning, solids and wet v dry food. This means you can continue in the same vein.

smudgley
14-05-2008, 08:06 PM
It's one thing hand rearing a found or abandoned kitten or taking on a young kitten whose mom is ill or has died, but to take on a 5 week old kitten because the breeder wants them gone is another matter.

My advice is simple.... don't take the kitten. But find a more responsible breeder who will at least keep the babies until they no longer need their mom. I have a litter here that are just over 5 weeks & they are so tiny & fragile at that age. Yes they could manage without mom, but why would anyone want to take them away at 5 weeks old, when they need comfort from their mom.

pinklizzy
14-05-2008, 08:12 PM
When I've handreared kittens, I've begun to wean them at about 4-5 weeks,usually using the replacement milk mixed with tinned kitten food (varying the varieties of flavours will help broaden the kitten's tastes in later life)
As Yola mentioned, it'll be best to find out from the 'breeder' has done with them so far.
Use a shallow dish so that the kitten can reach the food and it can help to make it slightly warm to tempt them to eat. Be warned, this is very messy, the kittens tend to paddle in the food at first!
I'd use some sort of way of producing warmth, ideally a snuggle-safe as kitty will miss snuggling with mum and siblings and provide a cuddly toy.
Most kittens tend to litter-train themselves but you can help by placing him/her into the tray after eating/waking. Keep the tray in one place,not too far from the sleeping area so the kitten can always reach it easily.
Obviously, these were hand-reared kittens and ideally they should still be with mum at this stage, hope this helps.

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I totally agree with all that has been said I know the breeder has the net so I am being very close lipped about this incase they visit this site! if you want my full feelings feel free to pm me! all I am interested in now because I have calmed down is the kitten and I want to help it I know that I am an abler by doing this but I can't just leave the poor thing there can I! so I am just after advice from here on! thanks for all the very good advice I have got already! should I be getting some of that milk thats very close to the mothers milk?? I was thinking of feeding it that I have bought a kitten bottle set and then I was going to buy some very young kitten food, Royal Cainn does looks like good food! I was thinking of getting a cat teddy that is a smiliar colour to the mother for it to cuddle up to and loads of cuddles of me and my oh and my daughter of course and toys I have a cat water fountain for it when its older... needs a bed and I have just got it a new collar... get it down the vets and when its old enough get it done!
anything else??

Kazz
14-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I am sure you want to "rescue" the kitten but in fact all taking a 5 week old kitten from the breeder dos in in fact encourage them to breed more, they want a fast turnover of money and kittens............sad but sounds like true, I would walk away, hard hearted yes but if you have the kitten you are encouraging more to be bred and moved on by what next 4& 1/2 week? 4 weeks?

Are you being asked to pay for the kitten?????

You sound like a lovely person who will totaly care for a kitten, but it is a shame to start on an uneven playing field....y Archie was 5 weeks old when I got him 26 years ago and he was clingy all his short life to the extent of trying to knead suckle my jumper........I did not realise he was so young until I took him the vets......but back then kittens were given away through lack of knowledge I think.

Whatever you decide hope it works out for the best all around. I realise sometimes your heart does rule your head.

Karen
Karen

pinklizzy
14-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry, I think I misunderstood the post, I thought you had already taken on the kitten. I have to say I agree with the other posters, the kitten should stay with mum.

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 09:30 PM
yes totally the kitten should stay with its mother I would want nothing more... but the breeder has already sold the others and they are going at 5 weeks so if I don't take the kitten she'll just sell it to someone else! and in which case it will never be with its mum longer anyway and then the other people may be cruel to it!I can't walk away I just can't!

smudgley
14-05-2008, 09:43 PM
yes totally the kitten should stay with its mother I would want nothing more... but the breeder has already sold the others and they are going at 5 weeks so if I don't take the kitten she'll just sell it to someone else! and in which case it will never be with its mum longer anyway and then the other people may be cruel to it!I can't walk away I just can't!

Yes you can. ;)

smudgley
14-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't mean to sound uncaring, but I really would find another kitten if I were you.

However many kittens do ok when leaving their mom too early, so if you really do take the kitten, then PL gave some excellent advice.

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 09:49 PM
well at the end of the day thats up to me and not you and at least if I get the kitten I know what's happened to it where as if I don't, I don't know whats happened to it... I came on here for advice on how to help the kitten.. but I feel like most people on here only care about their views... their views aren't going to help the kitten... at least I am trying to help it even if it is the wrong way... if I walk away there will be someone right behind me waiting to take it and whats to say they will do with it...if she doesn't sell it she will have that out of the streets breeding that! walking away isn't going to do anything unless every person walks away and thats not going to happen... sometimes you have to do the wrong thing to do the right thing and at least I am stopping this kitten ending up in a shelter or on the streets...

Kim
14-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Littlelinnie, and welcome to Catsey.

Smudgley really is only trying to help, she has a lot of experience with CP. Surely if you don't take the kitten then at least she has the chance to stay with her mum a bit longer. Couldn't you point out to the 'breeder' that they shouldn't have left their mums so young? and I'm afraid I would most definiltey report her.

You sound like a very caring person and if you really are intent on getting this kitten I can only give a little advice. We hand reared 3 kittens from 2 weeks old after their mum, was killed in an RTA. That was 20+ years ago, but from memory I think at 5 weeks I was mashing up some kitten food with a little warm water or substitute milk such as cimicat. Your vet or vet nurse will be able to give you more advice and check the kitten over to make sure it is as healthy as possible. Very sad situation that makes me very angry, how can some people be so irresponsible? :evil:

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I have already told her its to young she doesn't care! someone else will buy it because shes listed it weeks before its ready!

babycakes
14-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I have already told her its to young she doesn't care! someone else will buy it because shes listed it weeks before its ready!

That why I feel that you should report her because someone should stop her from doing this on a regular basis if people buy at that age then she will continually sell, also is she using the same queen? what about these poor cats being overbred?

You are doing what is right by this kitten and I totally understand that and I think I would take it also but I would still report her so she dosen't do it again, even after taking the kitten home.
Please understand that people's feelings are not directed at you but at this person who is breeding the kittens and that is why people feel so passionate because what she is doing is wrong as you know, this is not a personal attack. It's a vented of emotions

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 10:25 PM
the way I see it is this... why should this beautiful sweet kitten that hasn't asked to be born or done anything to anyone be not allowed a lovely home thats on offer! me and my oh and our daughter really want a cat and would show it loads of love and get it everything it needs... why can't this cat have this?? because its breeder is a numpty! thats not the cats fault! I will defo report her when I have the kitten at home don't worry about that!

dandysmom
14-05-2008, 10:26 PM
BC has summed it up perfectly! No one has meant to put you down; sorry if it seemed that way, wasn't meant that way. Those poor kittens and their poor mum!

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I know your not trying to be mean to me but I feel very strongly about this cat so I guess I just get upset, I haven't even really told you all some of the stuff the woman said as I am scared if she comes on this site and won't let me have the cat but this woman is not a good breeder and needs to be stopped!

Moli
14-05-2008, 10:30 PM
When are you getting the kitten??

babycakes
14-05-2008, 10:31 PM
the way I see it is this... why should this beautiful sweet kitten that hasn't asked to be born or done anything to anyone be not allowed a lovely home thats on offer! me and my oh and our daughter really want a cat and would show it loads of love and get it everything it needs... why can't this cat have this?? because its breeder is a numpty! thats not the cats fault! I will defo report her when I have the kitten at home don't worry about that!

I agree you should bring this kitten home, I think people were suggesting that you leave a deposit and then suggest to the breeder that it remains with it's mum for a couple of weeks longer, maybe even say that you feel it would be prone to infections, germs, bacteria etc. What do you think?

And good on you for reporting them

Kate S
14-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I have just read the whole thread and my only opinion is you should do what you feel is right for the kitten and then you HAVE to report her. x

littlelinnie
14-05-2008, 10:44 PM
thanks!! yes I will try! I have pmed moil and babycakes:)

littlelinnie
16-05-2008, 06:58 PM
ordered her loads of stuff of ebay and got her some stuff from town... got her some cat toys... and a shallow cat bowl set.. and a cat carrier that I got from home bargains for £5!!!!!!! well cheap! got a scratching post with some toys coming of it and a little house in the middle for her half price.
I have got a cat water fountain which I bought them I was getting the other cat that I didn't get so she will have them when shes older!
then I got chatting to this woman on ebay because I bought the wrong cat milk off her and she has been lovely.. she told me what thing's I needed... I have got some Royal Canin powered baby kitten milk coming that she told me I would need and a little bottle set for the kitten and a cat blanket and a snugglesafe which is this thing that has no wires or anything but you put it in the microwave for a few mins and when you get it out its warm and stays warm for 12 hours and its fine even if its chewed... this will keep her warm!

Kate S
16-05-2008, 07:44 PM
When are you getting her?

littlelinnie
16-05-2008, 07:47 PM
in a couple of weeks! but wanted to be ready! got to get a litter tray.. litter and food.. I'll have to wait and find out what the "breeder" is feeding her and then buy that so I have been told because changing the food straight away might not be good for her...not sure if this is true?? not to mention the vets bill when I take her.. when I have got her home.. so I wanted to get everything ready!

Jem
16-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I rescued Snoopy at 5 weeks but she had been without her mum for atleast a week, We took her straight to the vets and were told there was a big possibility that she would die. Well I tried my hardest to do everything right. I sort of muddled my way through the next month as I did no about this forum. She is now nearly a year old and the only behaviour issue we have is she licks n nibbles any bit of flesh available, I think maybe its because she left her mum way to early but im not sure.
Good luck with your new fur baby hun hope it all goes well xxx

dandysmom
16-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Littlelinnie, it's true that changing the food they've been on can cause tummy upsets/diarrhea. Good idea to change over very very gradually later if you want to do so.

Jem, Snoopy's habit might very well have been caused by not suckling enough as a kitten; I've heard this, I'm not positive if it's true, but seems logical to me.....

littlelinnie
16-05-2008, 08:36 PM
okay thanks for that!:) I will leave her on whatever they are feeding her until shes a bit older then change from there! I am going to take her to the vets as soon as I can anyways..
thanks for the support that I have been shown in this thread or by pm!:) I am just trying to do right by the kitten.x

Kay
16-05-2008, 08:52 PM
The chances are the kitten will be on a cheap not very good quality food as that is what these type of people use. Keep her on it for about a week while she settles in then slowly over the next week introduce the new food whatever it maybe. All my babies are raised on Royal Canin Kitten and I have never had any problems with it. My adults are fed Royal Canin as well. If the change is done gradually you shouldn't have any problems with tummy upsets.

littlelinnie
16-05-2008, 09:35 PM
thanks Kay! I was looking at that food I have ordered the baby milk for her I would like to get her on the food aswell so thanks for saying that!x

Kay
16-05-2008, 10:23 PM
No problem. Good luck.

littlelinnie
17-05-2008, 05:41 PM
the womans just messaged me and told me the kitten is doing really well! shes going to send me some more pics!:)