PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep my older cat out of the other cat's food! Need suggestions!

Tina
13-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi All

Some of you may know me from my posts in the Health Section where I have been getting much-needed advice and support during my little cat, Mousie's, illness.

My problem at the moment is with feeding. Our older cat (Miw) has always been a very fussy eater but was always managing to eat enough to be steady at an ideal weight for her age and body shape (9lbs). Since we got Mouse last August, Miw has gained 6lbs because she's highly addicted to the kitten dry food, and vet says she needs to diet. Miw has also now decided that she will eat wet food ONLY if it is from Mouse's dish.....even when it's EXACTLY the same food!! I've tried to watch all the time and move her to her own dish whenever she tries to eat from Mouse's dish, but I can't watch her 24 hours a day.....I don't know what else to do! Normally it wouldn't be much of an issue because I'd just start Mouse on the adult dry food (she's been on adult wet food for 6 weeks as she won't eat the kitten stuff anymore) as Mouse will be a year old in a couple weeks now. Then I could just fill both their dishes and let them eat from whichever they want! But the vet has said that Mouse needs to remain on kitten dry food for several more months as she needs the higher proteins content and fats while she's so ill. In addition we need to carefully monitor Mouse's food intake to ensure she doesn't stop eating again as this would signify that she may be relapsing and out of remission again.

So, both cats need to be monitored for food intake....one because she eats too much, the other because she NEEDS to eat as much as possible......but I can't keep track of who's actually eating what when Miw is constantly at Mouse's dish! Mouse seems to want to eat the dry food mostly right now, but so does Miw and Miw isn't allowed to have it. I can't take Mouse's food dish up and just offer it to her several times a day as she needs to have access to food all the time so she can eat whenever she wants.

Do I let Miw continue to get fatter and just constantly keep Mouse's dry food dish full so I know that she's getting enough to eat? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks!

Tina

P.S. I have to admit to being a softie, when I take the dry kitten food away from Miw, I DO give her a few bits to satisfy her craving, BAD ME!! I don't want her getting jealous and feeling left out with all the extra attention that we have been giving to Mouse during this time.