PDA

View Full Version : Gym, Exercise and diets :)

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi everybody,

I thought that perhaps we could use this thread to track all the various different regimes we are all following :)

I am trying to get to the gym at least 3 times a week, ideally 5 times. I have been going since last August.

Recently I have upped the intensity of my gym visits. I am now trying to do at least 500 calories per visit, and ideally 1,000.

Today was just over 1,000 calories, this involved 50 mins on the cross trainer, 20 mins on the recumberant bike, and 20 mins on the stepper.

Diet - I have tried to cut down on my fat intake by having low fat mayo, skimmed milk etc. No sweeteners unless I am at home. So at work I am drinking black coffee or green tea. Also trying to eat loads of salad.

Body fat has gone from 31 to 27 in the last couple of weeks, ideally I would like it to be low 20's. I am also losing 1-2lbs a week, so not losing massive weight per week.

Elaine
13-05-2008, 08:02 PM
If I had known that I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself years ago:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am very impressed with your fitness regime, well done you for your hard work and commitment. xxx

yola
13-05-2008, 08:25 PM
PMSL Elaine! It can be done . . . about 3 weeks of home video exercise work and a couple of gym visits and I can feel at least a couple of cms has dropped from both waist/tummy and thighs.

During my assessment I found out body fat was 36, weight 76 (kilos) but my lung capacity was at 93% (average for my age is 81% - must be all the stairs I have in my house), and my grip strength is equal in both hands and about 15-20% up on the average woman's grip - which makes me a bit of a brute apparently ;)

I have a rather full schedule as we run our own business and although I'm home with the boys by 5pm, the dinner/homework/bedtime routine takes a lot of time. OH does his best to get home before 6.30 and if he does it means I can go to the gym. For instance, I was going to go tonight but he didn't get back until nearly 7.30 so it'll have to be tomorrow instead now! I intend to managed between 2 and 3 visits a week including one Saturday morning 'yogalates' session.

I'm going to book a follow up assessment for this coming Friday where they will develop my programme. I know where I've stuck to it in the past weight and body fat have dropped dramatically.

Diet-wise, I'm trying to cut out as much wheat (not hard as OH has a gluten intollerance) and dairy as I can. I actually like soya milk and dislike cow's milk so that's not a problem. My weakness is cheese :oops:

Emma - are you not low-carbing/Atkins-ing any longer? I know you had great results with that (as I did).

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Yola, I dropped nearly a stone low carbing again, but found that it had a too negative effect on me going to the gym, I just couldn't get the balance right.

My weight is 10 stone 7lbs and ideally I would like to get to 9 stone 13lbs or slightly less. Low carbing I did manage to get to just over 9 stone but I was thin but not defined. This time I want to concentrate on getting fit and toned and then slim down further if needed. I will therefore adjust my diet to one which is more low carbing once I have reached a weight of 10 stone.

At present I have 7 stone of muscule mass which I would like to keep.

smudgley
13-05-2008, 09:08 PM
What a great thread.

I am following this fantastic excercise plan for beginners, http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/running/3_mile_training_plan.htm although I currently have a poorly knee :oops: so I've had to stop doing any form of excercise / walking until my knee is better. I was really starting to feel the benefits of it too. :roll:

I am trying to eat a balanced / healthy diet, although I can very easily stray from it at the mo.

Kim
13-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Wow, I'm really impressed Emma & Yola - well done!! I hope to start going back to the gym regularly, but at present my only exercise is keeping busy (I hardly ever seem to sit down these days) and walking the dogs. Very de-motivated diet wise at the mo and weight has crept up again. :(

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Well what is important is that we all keep as active as possible, wether it is the gym, walking the dogs, exercise tapes etc.

Having a job that is based in the office, sitting at a desk all day just made me realise that I do very little exercise, trying to DO something each day is now very important to me. When I cannot go to the gym (usually due to working late) I am doing my exercise DVD.

Last week I was very good, gym 5 times, exercise DVD 1 day and a day off.

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Interestingly today I saw an add for a TV programme (not sure which one) that stated at more than 2 million American's are now over 40 stone?? I find that quite incredible, I wonder what the figure would have been 10 years ago?

yola
13-05-2008, 10:30 PM
40 stone??? Are you sure? That's seriously scary.

I agree about the 'any exercise' thing. When Dominik was at nursery and my office was in town I used to 'power walk' him down and then go to work. And boy did I loose weight and tone up quick. Moving the office out to the country meant I used the car all the time (and still do), which has meant my exercise levels have dropped dramatically.

This time, I'm planning on taking it slow and steady. I'll reduce the amount I eat generally and specifically the rubbish (chocolate mainly) I put away. I have a 6-9 month toning/weight loss goal. No miracle summer slimming because it always ends up back on + interest!

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Yes apparently Yola,

See this article - the bit titled half ton mum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/12/31/nosplit/bvtv02.xml

I agree with the slow and steady route, losing weight with low carbing was great but I wasn't fit, just slim. Now I want to be fit even if it means being heavier than I want to.

EmmaG
14-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Another gym visit today, burnt just over 500 calories :)

yola
14-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, I had everything packed to go and OH rolled in at 7.30 which was too late for me to set off for the gym :( So I might do some more exercising here (after another session starting at 5.45am today).

Off to prepare something light for dinner . . .

EmmaG
14-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Yola. It would be good if you can have a backup plan if you cannot get to the gym for any reason :)

Has anybody tried Skinny Water?

angieh
14-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Has anybody tried Skinny Water?

Pardon???????

yola
14-05-2008, 09:53 PM
No - never even heard of skinny water!

What do you mean by a back-up plan Emma? Some other kind of exercise?

Well, I did the quiz :shock:

EmmaG
15-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Pardon???????

:-D :-D :-D Skinny water is a water that has L-Carnitine and Chromium added which reduces sugar cravings and improves the body's ability to burn fat.

More info here www.skinnywater.co.uk

EmmaG
15-05-2008, 07:27 PM
No - never even heard of skinny water!

What do you mean by a back-up plan Emma? Some other kind of exercise?

Well, I did the quiz :shock:

By backup plan I mean perhaps your exercise tape if you cannot get to the gym.

EmmaG
15-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Well I didn't manage to get to the gym today, just got in from work.

Going tomorrow though :)

Checked my calories burnt yesterday and I did just over 800 not the 500 I posted so I am happy with that :)

How is everybody else doing?

yola
16-05-2008, 08:40 AM
I did get to the gym yesterday - managed 2 x half hour sessions on x-trainer + bike; burnt in the region of 500 calories which I'm very pleased with.

Can't overdo it at the moment as the heart rate still rises alarmingly when loaded so I need to gradually work on that before I push myself too far.

Came home and had a very low fat, low GI dinner - cucumber, tomato, roasted onions and roasted fennel with lemon olive oil salad and a couple of small fish cakes on top!

On Saturday morning I've got my 2nd stage assessment and programme development and I'm gong to a 'body balance' class which is a blend of yoga/pilates and movement to music!

Emma - I have one exercise tape which I use but I need to get a few more in . . . any recommendations? I'm not into jumping around - and anyway we have 200 year old suspended wooden floors and the noise of me jumping around would alarm people 3 doors away ;)

EmmaG
16-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Yola you are doing very well down the gym, 500 calories is excellent.

I did 600 today :)

Let us know how you get on with your assessment tomorrow.

I would recommend Nell McAndrews DVD but it is high impact and a fair bit of jogging on the spot so not really suitable. I have got Davina's boxset and although I haven't played it yet a friend told me it isn't as high impact as Nell's one. Perhaps have a bit of a look on Amazon as there are loads of reviews ?

Jac
19-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Wow arn't you ALL doing well.

I have joined a gym called Curves. You work out for 30 mins. They recomend three visis a week. At the moment I'm going 5 times (well what's half an hour?). Its a mixture of machines and cardio.
I have been going 5 weeks. I have lost 2 1/2 inches from each thigh, 2 inches from my waist, 1 3/4 from my abdomen and 1 inch from the top of each arm. Oh yeh and a pound in weight. Oops 2 inches from my bust.

If there is a Curves near you I would strongly advise you to join. There are no men allowed, No mirrors and NO licra!! hehe. I normaly go with Mum but she's away at the moment and has done just as well.

I get measured on the 2nd of the month so we will see what I have lost this month;)

EmmaG
19-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Jac,

You are doing really well, is Curves where you do x mins on one machine and a tape tells you to go to the next "station" where you do x mins and then move to the next station? Good that they don't allow any men in there!!! :)

I did a good workout today about 1,100 calories spread over 70 mins X trainer and 20 mins on the stepper. Then I did my weights on the weight resistance machines.

How are you getting on Yola??

Donna
19-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Everyone is getting fit, whereas I am getting fat!!! Oh well....

EmmaG
19-05-2008, 10:05 PM
How about an exercise DVD Donna ?

yola
19-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Everyone is getting fit, whereas I am getting fat!!! Oh well....

Donna - I just got very fed up of getting fat. Couldn't get into my white summer combats which fitted really easily last year and that gave me the prod I needed to get going (I was actually sat on the floor in tears trying to wriggle into these things :roll: )

But once you make the decision to start it becomes very satisfying when you see all the effort beginning to work. Your low carb dieting really worked, why not try that again with some exercise thrown in? As Emma said, it's not only about loosing weight it's about getting fit too :D

My assessment was a bit of a frustration tbh. Some teenage girl 'personal trainer' who really didn't have much of a clue about my goals and even less interest in them :(

Still - I know how to use the machines; cardio and weights and will develop my own plan that will kind of align with hers but one that I know will work for me.

Jac - that gym sounds brilliant! I was a member of one like that in the mid-90s . . . you moved from machine to machine and then did cardio and classes.

Jac
20-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Emma that's the one!!
It's 30 seconds on each station which doesn't sound a lot but believe me it is. It's a large circle with a machine then a cardio mat, machine cardio mat. You do three circuits which is half an hour. They say it's the equivalent of 1 1/2 hours at a conventional gym. The machines are hydraulic, so the harder you work them the harder it is.
My BMI has come down as well but I cant remember by how much.

The biggest thing for me is it's all ages, all sizes and we have a laugh as well. A couple of weeks ago we were to exercise in our pyjamas, a pyjama party:lol: . Yes I wore mine!! What a hoot. It helped to break the ice as well. Of course I took it one step further and wore rollers in my hair and added a face pack.

yola
20-05-2008, 10:27 AM
:)

I did a good workout today about 1,100 calories spread over 70 mins X trainer and 20 mins on the stepper. Then I did my weights on the weight resistance machines.

How are you getting on Yola??

Wow - Emma I'm impressed :shock: I probably won't be going to the gym again until later in the week but each morning I'm up at 5.45 to do my toning exercises and they're really working! Thighs no longer rub together when I walk :shock: and tummy's noticably flatter :-D

If I get a moment I'm going to see if I can look out the Calanetics DVD (or similar) on Amazon as I need some more control-type exercises rather than the aerobic ones.

I think at the gym I'm going to focus mainly on cardio for the moment with some occasional weights for general toning. I'm also going to do either the early morning Saturday or Sunday (8.30am :shock: ) body pump class which is weights, mat work and movement.

Donna
20-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Donna - I just got very fed up of getting fat. Couldn't get into my white summer combats which fitted really easily last year and that gave me the prod I needed to get going (I was actually sat on the floor in tears trying to wriggle into these things :roll: )

But once you make the decision to start it becomes very satisfying when you see all the effort beginning to work. Your low carb dieting really worked, why not try that again with some exercise thrown in? As Emma said, it's not only about loosing weight it's about getting fit too :D

My assessment was a bit of a frustration tbh. Some teenage girl 'personal trainer' who really didn't have much of a clue about my goals and even less interest in them :(

Still - I know how to use the machines; cardio and weights and will develop my own plan that will kind of align with hers but one that I know will work for me.

Jac - that gym sounds brilliant! I was a member of one like that in the mid-90s . . . you moved from machine to machine and then did cardio and classes.

I just couldnt go to a gym, its just not a place I would feel comfortable going, plus the expense. I am saving up to get the kids a Nintendo Wii and see there is a fitness thing for it which might help if its fun... tried dvds too but they end up in the cupboard collecting dust.

I wont low carb again, I am sort of following a Weightwatchers diet I did a long time ago to watch what I eat but so far nothing has shifted!!

EmmaG
20-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Well if you were impressed with 1,100 calories Yola how about 1,300 :) that was how much I actually did yesterday.

Today I took it a bit easier and only did just over 500, tomorrow I won't be going as I am going out to dinner with a friend. I will however be back in the gym on Thursday for another good workout.

Jac, they have got a similar gym near me but it is called Ladyshapers, I did have a look but I wanted a more conventional gym and decide what areas I want to work on. Also I love free weights. I am glad it is working very well for you.

Donna I am sure you will love the Wii - my SIL has one and the bowling etc is excellent, certainly gets you moving about. Also if you get the Wii fit there is loads more you can do.

So come on everybody who else is going some exercise :)

Jac
20-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeh but......I'm not restricting food or DRINK Lol. I'm living the same as normal and loosing inches da da da da dh:smt005 :smt005 :smt008 You know I'm playng , but I have changed nothing in my eating habits or my glasses of wine or vodka:roll:

EmmaG
20-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Jac, seriously I am not knocking how well you have done. I would hope that the point of this thread is regardless what type of exercise we do the important issue is that we ARE exercising :)

I am still having the odd glass of wine as well ;)

Jac
20-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Are you implying that I'm not? Only I'm not doing it the conventional way, and yes I'm making big progress with inches, BMI and weight. Lets face it in one month a pound!! we all know muscle is heavier than fat. I'm fair proud.
12 1/2 inches all over my body. What can I say?

yola
20-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not really dieting, just reducing the amounts of what I ordinarily eat and not snacking on so much rubbish (sushi instead of chocolate :shock: )!!!

As I was approaching drinking a bottle of wine a night I have cut out some of the booze - but only because I was getting a tad worried about how much I was putting away. Don't miss it that much to be honest :D

EmmaG
20-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Are you implying that I'm not? Only I'm not doing it the conventional way, and yes I'm making big progress with inches, BMI and weight. Lets face it in one month a pound!! we all know muscle is heavier than fat. I'm fair proud.
12 1/2 inches all over my body. What can I say?

No I am not implying that at all. My point is that YOU ARE exercising, whether it be walking the dogs, classes, curves, housework, running, the gym it is ALL exercise.

My choice is the gym and the odd exercise DVD, other people will enjoy a different type of exercise, nobody is right or wrong Jac, everybody has to find what works for them.

I have heard very good reports about Curves, (not about Ladyshapers the one I visited - but I think they are some sort of offshoot from Curves, perhaps even a local copycat of them).

When I started this thread it wasn't about going down the gym, it is about people getting active, whatever form that takes.

Hopefully all of us Jac posting in this thread might just encourage some other members to take up some exercise.

yola
22-05-2008, 09:30 AM
In addition to doing my callanetics tape yesterday morning I then went down to the gym in the evening and did 30 mins on the x-trianer (330 cals burnt) and 20 minutes of rapid walking up a steep incline on the treadmill (220 cals burnt) AND a circuit of the weights.

And boy am I feeling it this morning!

BUT - the fat rolls are diminishing extremely quickly, far quicker than I thought they would and I feel really energised and happy :D

Steph
05-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Well done everyone. I`m clinically obese and rupturing my tendon didn`t help but I am getting back to the gym again now. Cardio vascular stuff is great but don`t forget the weights work either-lean muscle burns fat very efficiently and ladies do not have the testosterone to get `muscle bound`

And try some courses if your gym offers them as inclusive-I never fancied Body combat/Body pump but yoga and pilates are great.

And after a hard session what can be nicer than a swim,sauna,steam and a few minutes in the jakuzzi?..

And only 4 weeks and three days before we are off to be pampered at Ragdale Hall

http://www.ragdalehall.co.uk/

yola
05-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Nice to see you here Steph - look forward to hearing how your road to fitness progresses!

I'm doing weights too - I have the beginnings of bingo wings :smt090 which means much work is needed to tone the top 1/2 of my arms. Additionally, a rather botched c-section 2 years ago has left me with damaged tummy muscles which, if I'm honest I doubt will be rescued by anything other than a tummy tuck :smt103

My gym does classes also. I'm seriously considering the body pump - mainly because it's an early morning weekend course and that fits in with OH's lie in watching kiddie TV with the juniors!

Your pampering weekend sounds luuurrrvly. I'm hoping for something similar for our 10th wedding anniversary in Sept (yeah right)!!

Steph
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Your pampering weekend sounds luuurrrvly. I'm hoping for something similar for our 10th wedding anniversary in Sept (yeah right)!!

It`s not the weekend-we arrive Sunday for three nights. And unless money is no object do look around for offers-that`s one advantage of Jen being self employed. We just wait for the right offer and usually there is time to re-arrange work to take advantage.

And hey-once or twice a year is fun

EmmaG
03-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Time to bring this up to date.

Still going the gym 3-4 times a week, really enjoying it. The gym I go to has just had a bit refurb with all new cardio, weight, circuit series equipment. They also have two power plates which I have started to use.

How is everybody else doing?

yola
03-08-2008, 01:47 PM
What are power plates Emma?

I'm still going strong here, as mentioned in the other thread the diet has gone a bit awry which means the exercise is probably not as effective as it could be. Back to a healthy diet methinks, and a few more early morning starts doing my exercise tape at home!

I have started doing classes, commencing a few weeks ago with body pump; weights to music, which was brilliant.

Today I did Legs, Bums and Tums which really turned out to be an overall toning class, including arms and shoulders. Lots of short, sharp bursts of intense muscle work, using block, step and mat. I'm feeling it already!

So my weekly balance now consists of 1.5 hours overall cardio (uphill treadmill walking + x-trainer), 1 to 2 one hour classes and some mat work and weights machines on my own.

I have given it until Easter next year (so approx a year of visiting the gym). If my flabby tummy hasn't gone by then I will be seriously considering some surgery . . . funds permitting!!

EmmaG
03-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Power plates are a vibrating platform you do static or dynamic moves on they tone muscle and improve bone density. More details here http://uk.powerplate.com/en/

I am managing between 30 mins and 60 mins cardio each gym visit, and going circuit series resistance and free weights, trying to cut down on length of my cardio but increase the intensity.

Good to hear you are attending the classes Yola, something I have yet to built up the courage to attend yet :)

yola
03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Hmmm. That's an interesting looking thing Emma! I can see how the concept works. May have to pop along to David Lloyd for a sneaky 'trial' session to see how it works in reality :D WIll email Fitness First though to see if they have any plans to introduce them. I imagine they're quite popular; does your gym have many installed?

EmmaG
03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Although we have quite a large gym we only have two of the power plates, they are normally always free when I go during the week, (usually around 4.30 - 5pm ) I had to wait for them today but that wasn't a problem.