PDA

View Full Version : Can I talk about gardens too?

angieh
12-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I got inspired by Alex to take some photos of things that look good in my garden. These photos were taken yesterday ....

Firstly, the laburnum which is just lovely - shame it doesn't last long, together with white lilac ...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/002.jpg

Then weigelia (spel?) which has more flowers this year than ever and some ceanothus at the bottom ......

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/005.jpg

and finally, just to show it's not all pastel colours ..... the Flaming Azalea (which unfortunately smells horrible!)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Misc/008-1.jpg

alexgirl73
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
oh how lovely angie!!! I love the colours on that azalea, pity it doesn't smell as sweet lol. Thanks for posting.

dandysmom
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Beautiful! I love the azalea, such a vibrant color! I've been tempted to get an orange one that I like, but the contrast with red-brick masonry...:shock:

White lilac is lovely; don't see it too often! Thanks for sharing the pics; cheered me up on a cold wet day!

Mags
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Beautiful Angie! :D I love the azalea too ...... do you know the name of it - I lost both of mine last winter:?

random
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
No no no you can't, it's far to pretty, mine's just a mass of dandelions it's not fair! :lol:

I love the Azelea, such vibrant colours, shame about the smell though! :lol:

angieh
12-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Sorry Mags - I've no idea what variety the azalea is - we inherited it from the people who lived here before us, so it is at least 12 years old and does well in its big pot. I give it a good dose of sequestrian every spring. Sadly it smells strongly of B.O. which is why it's nearly at the bottom of the garden!

Kazz
13-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Thats a lovely Azelea stunning I am envious. You have a really healthy looking garden there too mature and settled.

I love laburnums, but they don't last long enough to warrant a place in my small garden I. But I do like them, thanks for showing us your garden or a bit of it its lovely.

Eileen go for the organe against red brickwork be brave colours of nature are fantastic and sometimes what can be perceived as a clash can be stunning.

Karen

dandysmom
13-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Thats a lovely Azelea stunning I am envious. You have a really healthy looking garden there too mature and settled.

I love laburnums, but they don't last long enough to warrant a place in my small garden I. But I do like them, thanks for showing us your garden or a bit of it its lovely.

Eileen go for the organe against red brickwork be brave colours of nature are fantastic and sometimes what can be perceived as a clash can be stunning.

Karen

You're probably right, but if I do get one it will go in the back garden with the fence or my neighbor's stucco wall as a background. Am also thinking of the dwarf lilac Miss Kim.....

My laburnum was very short-lived also, only lasted about seven years, then just gradually died...it was lovely in flower, though..:(

yola
13-05-2008, 10:34 PM
My Mum had 2 laburnums in the front garden - we were constantly warned away from them (they being poisonous . . . ). They both kind of gave up and withered. We currently have one in a neighbour's garden which has been going strong for at least the 11 years we've been here :D

My white lilac is currenty in flower as has the most amazing smell - again another scent from childhood (together with lily of the valley) as my Mum had/has at least 3 lilacs in her garden and a veritable plague of lily of the valley!!

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Very pretty!!!! love all of the colours, unfortunately I think I killed my Azelea, although I am hoping it might make a recovery!!!

EmmaG
13-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Angie can I ask the size of your garden??

dandysmom
13-05-2008, 10:55 PM
My Mum had 2 laburnums in the front garden - we were constantly warned away from them (they being poisonous . . . ). They both kind of gave up and withered. We currently have one in a neighbour's garden which has been going strong for at least the 11 years we've been here :D

My white lilac is currenty in flower as has the most amazing smell - again another scent from childhood (together with lily of the valley) as my Mum had/has at least 3 lilacs in her garden and a veritable plague of lily of the valley!!

I need to order some of them also to plant this Autumn; mine didn't make it thru one of the recent very harsh Winters; I adore the scent.

angieh
14-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Angie can I ask the size of your garden??

You can Emma - I'll need to marshal OH with his slide rule and a copy of the plans for dimensions! It's not enormous, the whole plot with our bungalow is about 1/3 acre. OH is playing golf today so I'll ask him when he gets home.