PDA

View Full Version : Wormers for kittens pls

Archer
12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone
can you pls advise which wormer should be used on kittens.They are 2 weeks old now...when should they be wormed?

angieh
12-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Archer - I have found this little bit of info. Go to fabcats.org to read the full leaflet.

"When to worm your cat
As roundworms are very prevalent in kittens it is important to worm them very frequently when they are young. The recommendations are to treat every two weeks from about six weeks of age to 16 weeks of age, with a drug active against roundworms."

(from fabcats.org)

I would definitely consult your vet about which medication to use and the correct dosage. I think your kittens are probably too young to be wormed yet and if you have serious worries that they have worms (all kittens do) then I think the vet is the first port of call. I would not bother with over the counter wormers at all.

pinklizzy
12-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I've always used panacur liquid from 2 weeks of age, repeated fortnightly until 12 weeks. It needs to be given once daily for three consecutive days. I'd check with your vet though, they might recommend a different protocol.

smudgley
12-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I prefer panacur paste, so much easier to administer than the liquid.

pinklizzy
12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I prefer panacur paste, so much easier to administer than the liquid.

Second that! I should've mentioned the paste,they don't seem to be able to spit it quite as far!