PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your house cat/cats amused?

ellenlouise
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey guys

As you all know since loosing Trixie I have made Trinity and Neo and new kitten when she arrives housecats.

I have brought lots of toys. A wave scratching post, a huge blue mouse scratching post, a cat tree and a normal scratching post to try and keep them amused.

Trinity because she used to go outside is still allowed out when SHeldon or I am in the garden but Neo and New kitten are not allowed out all.

I need some advice on how you entertain your cats.

Thanks

Elaine
11-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I amuse mine with fishing pole toys, catnip parties, laser pens and tinfoil balls. Bernie loves to play, sadly Eva finds her amusement in whacking him. They do amuse themselves too by playing chase.

Mags
11-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Have you got a tunnel? Cassie loves diving in and out hers..:D

ellenlouise
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
No I havent got a tunnel will try that and the tin foil balls. Dnt they just eat the foil balls? Gt three fishing rods too.

angieh
11-05-2008, 02:14 PM
The best toy I found was home made and consisted of an ordinary plastic bottle top (coke or lemonade type) with a hole drilled in it and a long piece of string threaded through, knotted and frayed (well it'll get frayed anyway). You need the string long enough so you can comfortably drag it behind you around the house, the bottle cap skips about and the bit of string protruding the other side of the cap is what the cats think is a mouse's tail. Hours of fun without too much effort on the two legs' part!

Merlin and Smudge (never forgotten) used to play together with this toy, lie in ambush and take it in turns to pounce!

kado
11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Mine only go out when i am there apart from kado who is a law unto himself. I also use catnip, string, and screwed of tin foil. If kado has being good i fill the sink up with water and let him fish it out. He usualy puts his front paws in the sink and get them soaked and then he spends ages washing them.

Elaine
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
In all honesty you can spend a fortune on toys that cats just look at but give them a cardboard box, a tinfoil ball or a toy as Angie has made and they are happy for ages:lol:
They wont eat the tinfoil balls, mine certainly havent.

dandysmom
11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree 100% with tunnels, both the long crinkly one and the three way, and made Angie's toy for Leia which she loves; also empty grocery bags and boxes, of course. She doesn't pay too much attention to the fishing rod or the ping pong and fuzzy balls; think she's bored with them. But the Wiggly Waggler toy is her latest favorite. And when fresh peas come into season she likes to "kill" an empty pea pod. I haven't done foil balls in a while, thanks for the reminder!

angieh
11-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Mine only go out when i am there apart from kado who is a law unto himself. I also use catnip, string, and screwed of tin foil. If kado has being good i fill the sink up with water and let him fish it out. He usualy puts his front paws in the sink and get them soaked and then he spends ages washing them.

Kado sounds like a very unusual cat! Any photos of him washing his paws!

random
11-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Mine have each other, honestly chasey up and down the stairs is better than any toy I can come up with apparently. :roll:

They are so funny to watch though, except when they get a bit over zealous and start running over you in a bid to escape whoever is hot on their tail!

Don't tell anyone but I nearly wet myself laughing when Colin ran over my dad's face in a game of 'stalk and chase' as my dad was having an afternoon kip on the sofa! He woke up with a bolt I can tell you! :smt043 :mrgreen:

benny
12-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Well when mine arent sleeping, which is most of the day. A box, bottle caps are very entertaining. Tyler loves to get in a box and then jump out at everyone who passes him. Winston likes to play soccer with bottle caps. They all have toys, but seem to play with the simple things.

Elaine
12-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Well when mine arent sleeping, which is most of the day. A box, bottle caps are very entertaining. Tyler loves to get in a box and then jump out at everyone who passes him. Winston likes to play soccer with bottle caps. They all have toys, but seem to play with the simple things.

I forgot about that, mine love to bat bottle tops around as well as the ring pulls from the milk cartons:lol:

angieh
12-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Does anyone remember the "Confuse the Cat" sketch from Monty Python? Have you tried confusing your cat by getting backspin on a ping pong ball so that it whizzes forward and then whizzes backwards. It's worth the effort just to see the look on their face. They do say little things .........