PDA

View Full Version : Female cat being really aggressive!

Daz
11-05-2008, 12:46 AM
We have 2 cats both brother and sister, but the sister is being aggressive towards her brother, me and my family!
Now when I say aggressive, I don't mean a hiss here and a scratch there. I mean lashing out at the slightest of things. Take tonight for example, both sniffing each other, like they do, then the male decides to walk away, just has he does she lashes out at him (Like they are fighting for territory or something.) Last night she attacked him and we herd him squeal out! There were a chunk of fur missing from his side. As they are house cats, we keep them in the outhouse at night. Now the hot weather is here we put a wooden frame with mesh around it in the door frame so it was nice and cool for them, but a local cat got in! now since then, the female cat has been really aggressive towards everyone. Plus we do not dare leave them together at night in fear of the female really hurting the male.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the assay.

Cheers

Elaine
11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Aggression has many faces, fear, pain, play etc.
Here is a link that may help, Wizz can also be contacted direct via the link, she is a lovely woman and very helpful.
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/aggression.html
Maybe the part on re-directed aggression will put a bit of perspective on things.
I hope you get it sorted xxx

nursecroft
11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh dear! :shock: Is she neutered?

Daz
11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
She is, has been from a young age

Cheers for the link it was very informative

nursecroft
11-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Perhaps it is redirected aggression? Have a look at this article in the terriorial and redirected aggression sections, its quite interesting and there are some solutions that may work.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/furbabies/aggression.html

Hope she calms down for you.

Daz
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks both great links:)

She is ok through the day, just at night she becomes aggressive.

angieh
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
IMO your girlie has been scared by the other cat getting into a place where she had previously felt safe. Hope she does manage to settle down again as her behaviour is obviously upsetting (and painful) for you all.

claws_applause!
14-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I have the same thing with my two eldest!
The tom will get playful but when the she has had enough he will turn on her and get really aggressive and chunks of hair flying everywhere, I have to split them up, one is 11 and the tom is 14!

dandysmom
14-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Does the outhouse have an electrical outlet? I was thinking that a Feliway diffuser might calm her a bit. I agree it's redirected aggression.....