PDA

View Full Version : Pippin is too fat...

Gilraen
10-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Pippin is too fat.

That's what the vet said last year, and there hasn't been much improvement. Ever since he had to have his eye out, he has become less active (although he seems fine dexterous wise - maybe not as confident as he used to be) and hence quite overweight!

The vet has suggested obesity food. Apparently, food with more protein is better than the carb-ridden cat foods and this may be the key ingredient when controlling a cat's weight. Anyone else heard the same?

I have another cat, but I am not too worried about him getting too thin (as they just eat from whatever bowl they come across first) as he is a hunter and will regularly chow down on a mouse or rabbit. He has actually slimmed down in the last year anyway.

Some exercise with the laser pointer can't harm, either!

Any suggestions - has anyone successfully managed to slim down a fat cat?

Gil xx

Elaine
10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Poor portly Pippin. Do you play with him? It may help to boost his confidence a little as well as get him moving around a bit. Laser pens are pretty good fun too.

Gilraen
10-05-2008, 06:52 PM
He's not much f a player but has lots of fuss. He likes the laser dot though.

Elaine
10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
What about katnip? He may play a litttle more with a toy soaked in catnip. My Eva is a lazy puss, but I do try to encourage her to play. Dieting a cat is not an easy task but I am sure your cat will get there.;)

Elaine
10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
This might help......
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/playtime.html