PDA

View Full Version : Mousie Update - Information on Immune Mediated Erythroid Aplasia?

Tina
10-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi All

Just had Mouse's final test results back, the good news is that she has tested DEFINATELY NEGATIVE for FeLV! The bad news is she has Immune-Mediated Erythroid Aplasia (not sure if that's anything like Pure Red Cell Aplasia?) and apparently that means her body is attacking itself or something?

I can't find much information on this condition by doing searches on the internet.......anyone know anything about it? The vet says she'll remain on the high dose steroids for another month and then we'll bring the dose down and eventually take her off them.......hopefully she won't relapse or we'll have to start all over again!

The little information I have managed to find, and the vet's warnings, suggest that prognosis isn't great and that eventually the disease will win......likely life-expectancy of up to 3 or 4 years.

She's still feeling well now and her hematocrit is at 25% which is better than the 5.9% it got down to, and which means her blood is regenerating now!

Any information people have would be very useful, and in the meantime we will continue to spoil her for as long as we are blessed with her! :)

Elaine
10-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi Tina, I dont know if this is any more help.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/Immune-Mediated_Hemolytic_Anemia.htm

Elaine
10-05-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

The above link may have some useful info for you about non-regenerative anaemia, I know your cat doesnt have CRF but some of the studies may be of use.

babycakes
10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer. Has Mousie had a blood transfussion at all?

angieh
10-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Tina - your news is sad, but not without hope and at least you now know what ails her. Dear Mouse may as you say have 3 or 4 years and as I know how much you care for her, I am sure you will make whatever time she does have happy and loving. That's really all anyone can do for their pet, as no one knows what's round the corner.

You can always be sure of a sympathetic "ear" here and of course we would like to know how you and Mouse get on. Good luck and ***HUGS***

Tina
10-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer. Has Mousie had a blood transfussion at all?

Yes, Mouse had a blood transfusion a couple weeks ago when her hematocrit had gone as low as 5.6 and her heart had developed a murmur as a result and she was suffering sleep apnea.

Tina
10-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you all for your replies and the links! I am getting as much information as I can so I know what to expect, early signs to look for in case of relapse, etc.

I appreciate all of your kind words :-) and am thankful that I'll get some more time with Mousie to continue to spoil her shamelessly!

Elaine
10-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Give wee Mouse a cuddle from me please, she has been so brave of late and deserves to be shamelessly spoilt. xxx

Tina
10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you Elaine, I will give Mouse your cuddle! :-)

She loves cuddles and now even likes the ones she gets from her big sister Miw, who is also being shamelessly spoiled so she doesn't feel left out (in fact Miw is getting very fat from all the shared spoiling!). Mouse does deserve to be spoiled (as do all cats!), she has been through so much and is very good about having blood taken every couple days and taking her medication twice a day! She has been very brave and wears all of her shaved bits proudly as proof of how strong and brave she is!

Thanks again! :-)

alexgirl73
10-05-2008, 03:28 PM
oh bless her little paws. Good news and bad news there, but great that you are being so positive about it, and I'm sure Mouse will be loved and spoilt for every minute she has to spend with you ((hugs))