PDA

View Full Version : Ridding the lawn of dandelions?

random
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Honestly, it's more dandelions than grass, any tips or am I going to have to go round and dig every single one up? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Moli
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I spray them with Lawn weed killer Randon, and it seems to work.....There seem to be lots of them this year, is it the year of the Dandelion??:roll: :lol:

random
09-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I spray them with Lawn weed killer Randon, and it seems to work.....There seem to be lots of them this year, is it the year of the Dandelion??:roll: :lol:

But will that not damage the grass too and there's not much grass once you take away the dandelions, lol!? :shock:

I've never had this problem before Moli, only the odd few which i've dug out and kept on top of them but at my new house the lawn is covered but I have also noticed where I walk the dogs is the same and I was just saying to my dad i'd never seen as many dandelions on the field, it's quite literally just a field of yellow!

MrsH
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
When we first moved here the lawn was a nightmare as it had been so neglected over many years. Is that what you've got? inherited a previously unloved garden?

We used spot weed killers (like a big Pritt stick) can you still get those? Some we dug out, some we pulled the flower heads off before they had a chance to seed, and bit by bit it improved but it took a few years to get rid of them all!

angieh
09-05-2008, 09:51 PM
They are a real nuisance aren't they and so difficult to dig out and make sure you get all the root. The little seeds blow everywhere especially on a really windy day and yes, I think it must be the Year of the Dandelion this year - I think there are more than ever. Don't suppose a herd of tortoises could munch them all up!!!

random
09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
When we first moved here the lawn was a nightmare as it had been so neglected over many years. Is that what you've got? inherited a previously unloved garden?

We used spot weed killers (like a big Pritt stick) can you still get those? Some we dug out, some we pulled the flower heads off before they had a chance to seed, and bit by bit it improved but it took a few years to get rid of them all!

That's exactly it, well, I wouldn't say completely unloved as the borders have been kept quite nice and the lawn was short so obviously kept cut but has obviously just never been weeded, it's absolutely full of them!

random
09-05-2008, 09:55 PM
They are a real nuisance aren't they and so difficult to dig out and make sure you get all the root. The little seeds blow everywhere especially on a really windy day and yes, I think it must be the Year of the Dandelion this year - I think there are more than ever. Don't suppose a herd of tortoises could munch them all up!!!

Maybe I could invest in a pet goat? :lol:

Yes I pulled a few from the borders but they are such a pain in the arris to dig up all the root especially as they have been there a while nad have became quite established, the ones on the lawn will be ever worse. I couldn't do the whole lawn in the same way and am a bit concerned about using chemicals on it with the animals.

Moli
09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
The lawn weed killer is especially for lawns.spray just the weed, should not bother the grass...

Fran
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Angie beat me too it, I was going to suggest getting a giant tortoise :-D My tortoise loves dandelions!! I agree there has been a lot of dandelions this year :?

random
09-05-2008, 10:06 PM
The lawn weed killer is especially for lawns.spray just the weed, should not bother the grass...
Thanks Moli, i'll have a look when I go to B&Q next week.

Angie beat me too it, I was going to suggest getting a giant tortoise :-D My tortoise loves dandelions!! I agree there has been a lot of dandelions this year :?
Ok giant tortoise it is! :-D

Maybe it's been the weird weather we've had?

alexgirl73
09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Mines is exactly the same random, I like the tortoise idea lol!

random
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Mines is exactly the same random, I like the tortoise idea lol!

Do you want to go halfs on one? :lol::-D

dandysmom
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
That's one reason I had flagstones put down! And I have a tiny City yard. If you leave an itty bit of root in when you pull them, up it comes again. I'm sort of wary of chemicals; what if the cat eats grass that's been sprayed?

Moli
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
That's one reason I had flagstones put down! And I have a tiny City yard. If you leave an itty bit of root in when you pull them, up it comes again. I'm sort of wary of chemicals; what if the cat eats grass that's been sprayed?
The ones I use are safe for pets DM:)

random
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM

The ones I use are safe for pets DM:)

Yes i've heard some are safe for pets. It would be a while before the cats moved in anyway so even longer before I get the garden escape proofed for them to go in it so just the dogs to worry about which are less of a problem as there's a bit of paved area which i've cornered off for toileting on anyway so they don't mess up the lawn.

It's also funny how dog pee will kill grass but not dandelions! :evil:

dandysmom
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I suspect that dandelions are like cockroaches...the ultimate survivors.... :roll:

Moli
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
They seem to be DM, we have loads of them this year.....

angieh
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Do guinea pigs like dandelions??? May be easier to get hold of than half a giant tortoise!

dandysmom
10-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Or find someone who makes dandelion wine! (I can't imagine what it must taste like......:shock: )

EmmaG
10-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Before you start spraying, dandelion leafs are nice in salads :)

alexgirl73
10-05-2008, 10:30 AM

:shock: :shock: :shock: No way Jose lol!!!!

I pick a lot of them for my rabbit to eat, but even poor Mintstrel can't keep up with how many we have:lol:

MrsH
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Don't eat too many of them in a salad though. The French for dandelion is "piss en lit" for a very good reason!

dandysmom
10-05-2008, 04:07 PM
MrsH, would you kindly translate for those of us who didn't take French in school?

I do occasionally add a few dandelion leaves to a tossed green salad in the Spring when they're small and new.....

random
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Oh no i'd be living off them Emma the lawn is full of them, i'd take a pic but I don't want to give the demons a chance to flower again. :evil:

random
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Don't eat too many of them in a salad though. The French for dandelion is "piss en lit" for a very good reason!

Ohhhhh is that why you call them wee the beds at school, I thought that was just an old wives tail! :lol:

dandysmom
10-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Ohhhhh is that why you call them wee the beds at school, I thought that was just an old wives tail! :lol:

Thanks, Random; answered my question! :-D

MrsH
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry DM, I didn't notice anyone else had posted on this thread, but the question's been answered now anyway!

random
11-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Random; answered my question! :-D

lol, DM I never saw your question 'til I read this reply!

Well 'lit' is bed and from my comment I will leave the rest to your imagination! :-D

So is it true then Mrs H? :shock:

bobbie3917
12-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Or find someone who makes dandelion wine! (I can't imagine what it must taste like......:shock: )

my nan used to make wine with them and from what i can remember it was very nice,

Rabbits love dandelions so i dont pull up the roots on mine but pull the leaves and flowers off (free rabbit food :-D ), i dont have that many in the gargen but as soon as i see the seed flower i pull it up before it has a chance to open

random
12-05-2008, 12:32 AM
my nan used to make wine with them and from what i can remember it was very nice,

Rabbits love dandelions so i dont pull up the roots on mine but pull the leaves and flowers off (free rabbit food :-D ), i dont have that many in the gargen but as soon as i see the seed flower i pull it up before it has a chance to open

I used to always fed them to my buns too, they loved them. Maybe an excuse to get some more. :-D (Buns not dandelions!)