PDA

View Full Version : bad bad food!!

Mummsy
08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi there
I have been looking into cats foods and ingredients and have been absolutely horrified at some of my discoveries. But in the process I have discovered some REALLY good ones , and would like to share with you.
Purina make horrid food:shock: as do whiskas. Feeding your cats these foods.... its like feeding your kids a macdonalds. It tastes ok but its full of bad stuff, so nutritionally speaking it is worthless. when a child eats McD's hes hungry again quickley as there is no nutritional value, the right things are NOT in the meal. The same applies to purina, whiskas felix and most supermarket shelf foods. Have you ever read the ingredients on your cat food? try it many will have by products as one of the top ingredient (they are listed with the biggest quantity first down to the smallest). do you realise what by products are?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_2FHiT_iq8
I hope you can listen to it . it is VERY eye opening!!
Thanks

Fiorella-Bella
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah you're here now!
Believe me everyone...Mummsy knows her cat food! She can tell you anything about it!!!
So happy you're here!

Mummsy
08-05-2008, 10:36 PM
thanks babe!!

kitty cat
09-05-2008, 07:44 AM
i think everyone has known for a while the majority off cat and dog foods arent good.But its what that person can afford .Ive had dogs live to 16 and never an illness and been fed pedigree which isnt ment to be a good one.My 2 cats get fed asda meat in jelly which they love and asda biscuits which again they lap up.I think some people could feel guilty when reading your post that they arent giving their cat or dog the most expensive but they shouldnt.and i for one love a mcdonalds and so did my kids.now they make up there own mind if they go in and they do.infact my daughter works for them part time while studying at uni.

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 08:26 AM
some of the foods I have found to be cheaper than royal canin, science plane and iams etc! so not necessarily. I am not trying to call all folk names for feeding those foods I am just trying to help people make an informed decision. How many people actually know that some of the cheaper foods can contain cardboard for fiber and recycled leather for protein???
If someone can not afford to buy one of the other brands so be it, I am not going to have a go at them. but as I say not everyone realizes, just like I didn't 4-5 months ago. I now try to spread the word that we do have some fantastic foods available that are much healthier.AND healthier foods have been proven to prolong the lives of our beloved furkids!!
only trying to help everyone

nursecroft
09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Mummsy i knew id find you here!! haha you have made me obsessed with cat food! I even gave our senior consultant thoracic surgeon a lecture on what he should be feeding his cat the other day :shock: dont know what came over me, i looked up the ingredients on the net for him.... :lol: what have you done to me mummsy!!!

Elaine
09-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi mummsy and welcome to catsey.
Pet foods are pretty much under discussion on Catsey on a regular basis, if you look through alot of the posts in this section you'll (you@ll) find that we all have differing opinions, budgets etc and strive to do the best we can by our animals.
Masterfoods, Mars etc pretty much have the monopoly with regards to pet foods, these are the makers of of foods such as Whiskas, RC and JWB, to name a few. I am constantly looking at whats best to feed my cats, since having had a cat with CRF, and its not always easy.
The one thing I am pretty keen to avoid though is a completely dry diet, as this only makes a cats kidneys work harder from the off set thus we are now seeing CRF cats at much younger ages rather than in older years.
That said, Winston, through out most of his life was fed whiskas, felix, go cat etc. He had very little dry food as it wasnt as common as it is today. He was diagnosed with CRf at the age of 18 and a half and lived until he was 21. He had never been for a dental and had all his own teeth.
Thankyou for sharing with us.

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi, sorry to hear about the CRF:cat25
there is a really good wet food called applaws that is minimal on ingredients, there is also another called natures menu that is good. I have to say the 2 pet shops near me have bought them in special for me and now their sales are growing as more folk try it and see how fab they are. :smt023 Bengals are very sensitive and corn and wheat and gluten are really bad for digestive systems. I have striven to find healthy foods to avoid tummy problems that occur so often with many breeds not just Bengals.:cat36
I am not trying to preach, please dont get me wrong, just share what I know:smt052

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Ha ha I collared an older lady in Tescos the other day!! converted her to tescos finest.
go Lara, go Lara, go Lara!!!!

Elaine
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi again mumsy, I currently work in the pet industry, which by the way i am getting out of soon and moving into a better direction. Sadly for Winston, applaws and natures menue had only just arrived on the market just before his demise. Eva and Bernie however enjoy them emensly. It should be noted though that applaws is a treat food and doesnt contain taurine.
I know you are not trying to preach and we all strive to be better informed especially when it comes to our pets best interests. All at Catsey do what we can for our pets and we do have their best interests at heart.:D

nursecroft
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I feed betz natures menu! She loves it :)

Sorry to hear about your pussycat :( x

meep
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi mummsy,

A really interesting post thanks for sharing.

You mention the bad foods, but say along your research you have found some really good food (that isn't expensive).

Could you please share with us all the best foods you've found?

I don't yet have a cat but will be adopting two from the local Shelter when I move flat and am already considering how best to care for them! I will be on a tight budget though, but hate to think of giving my cats recycled leather and cardboard!

angieh
09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I would second meep's appeal above to let us know which of the inexpensive foods you've found to be better ones. I notice you mentioned Tesco's Finest. I shall be looking at that one certainly. My cat is 22 in July and was on prescription low pH diet for many years. About 2 years ago he refused point blank to eat it any more and has been on Felix or Whiskas since. I am not really worried about what's in his food, my only concern is the amount that he eats, which is good at the moment. I do shop at Tescos so will try their finest range and see how he gets on with that.

Can I be nosey and ask whether you have a veterinary or a dietary background?

Fiorella-Bella
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Can I be nosey and ask whether you have a veterinary or a dietary background?

It's a long time in research! she's made this a mission and it's paid off for her! Mummsy has helped so many- including me all the way across the pond in Texas!:-D I went from Science Diet to Innova. I could buy 2 bags of Science Diet for what I pay to get Innova, but it's so worth it!

nursecroft
09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Shes helped me too, im not well off but i will always do the best for my animals because that is my responsibilty. Natures menu, Tesco's finest are both reasonable for what they are, Betula's appetite is satisfied more on less food because its good quality.

Elaine
09-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Are you lot on commission from Tescos or something? Many people have posted many interesting threads on here too, not just about Tescos finest either.
This thread is becoming annoying quite frankly.

Fiorella-Bella
09-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I live in Texas so no, I have nothing to do with Tescos- I don't even know what kind of store it is. We're from another Bengal site and Mummsy was the go to person on there about people questions about cat food. That's all. I really don't see what's so annoying about this!

Elaine
09-05-2008, 06:44 PM
It's become annoying because the original post was a bit condesending from the offset and has since turned into some homage to Mumsy.
We have many threads in this section about pet foods/diet and nutrition. If I were joining another forum I would be looking at those to see what the people on the forum are about before I began preaching at them.
I have no objections to people with new info, who explain their findings to benefit others etc but all this is, is how bad whiskas is, nothing new there, and how good tescos finest is.
I just find it all very patronising and a little insulting that Mumsy thinks that none of us here have looked into what we feed our cats already.

Sweeney Todd
09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Easy tiger....
She's only trying to help....Not upset anyone..

Kim
09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I tend to agree Elaine. I have been posting here for a few years now and this topic has been discussed many times. I have owned cats for many years too and they were fed whiskas and felix and, without exception all lived to grand old ages. I am careful what I feed my cats, but there are lots of factors involved in the choice. I do try to give them food that don't contain 'animal derivatives' (I bet Tesco's finest does!!! ;) ) such as Natures menu & hi-life, but I' afraid they still prefer Felix 'as good as it looks'!! :lol: Anyway, they are all healthy and happy, so that is the most important thing.

babycakes
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I have to say my cat won't touch Tesco's finest, natures best, canine, applaws, or hi life with a barge pole and we go through all of the foods on rotation to what my cat likes at the time, he eats well and is extremly healthy. He gets different dry food on rotation as well as chicken, fish tuna, ham, cheese, rice and anything really.

Erin
09-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Jerry had tesco finest once and so sick everywhere,I would never buy it again!!

Fiorella-Bella
09-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree with S.T. she was only trying to help. I followed S.T. and Mummsy over here from another site we were all on and I just want to show how much I appreciate her. You can feed your cats what ever you like!
Sorry if you're offended by all this. No harm done!

Elaine
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you have all come over from the bengal forum?
The reason I ask is that we have never had quite so many people from one particular forum join us at the same time.

babycakes
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you have all come over from the bengal forum?
The reason I ask is that we have never had quite so many people from one particular forum join us at the same time.

I asked the same thing on Benny's introduction Elaine. (may want to look at that).

I thought it was odd to all arrive on mass and all know each other

Fiorella-Bella
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
We left because of our moderator....! :evil:
One found this site and liked it...so we all came over... Is that o.k.? I'm staring to think we shouldn't be here....

babycakes
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Why what was so bad about the moderator?

Sweeney Todd
09-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes. It was because some poeple started getting childish and it ended up like a playground....It was all he said this and she said that....To old for those games..so here we are.

Sweeney Todd
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
She's no longer a moderator.....

Sweeney Todd
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
At the end of the day if you've taken offence, and you want us to leave.....We will.

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi yep there are a few that in comparison are roughly the same and some are slightly cheaper.
ORGANIPETS is a human grade dry food, fairly new to the market I can help you with finding a store should you need it.
APPLAWS is a really nice range of good foods
TESCOS FINEST orLUXURY are a fraction more normally but go on special regularly which brings them nto price line with everything else
NATURES MENU at first glance the box might seem a little more expensive but the sachets are 25g greater in content so would split to two meals for a cat. so there fore goes further making it more cost effective. there a couple of others which elude me right now but will advise of them once I remember. (going away for the weekend and should be packing right now!)
hope this is a start to helping you?

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
no I have just read and researched for many hours on the web and the pet shop/supermarket shelves.

Mummsy
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
sorry you feel like that. Was not my intension to annoy anyone

Erin
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
applaws doesnt containe taurine though so its only really meant as a treat food

Fran
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
My cats love Natures Menu, Applaws is a brilliant food if you have a cat that has gone off it's food for some reason and recently I have tried Tesco's finest pouches and my cats can't get enough of it, they love it!!! :cool:

random
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
At the end of the day if you've taken offence, and you want us to leave.....We will.

No one wants you to leave! I think people are just curious as to why everyone has came over together that's all, sometimes trouble makers or trolls get banned from forums and move onto another in groups so you can understand why people are asking. Saying that i've been in the same position you are where a group has went t*ts up and myself and a whole bunch of pals have moved elsewhere and i'm still there to this day - the dog site which is a sister site to this one.

I think Mumsy is just passionate about this topic that's all but I have to agree maybe could have been a little more tactful as the way it has been worded it sounds as if anyone feeding their cat on one of the particular brands mentioned is being condemned for it. I have had a cat fed on one of the *best* food out there and she ended up developing kidney disease, my auntie feeds her 2 on Whiskas, Felix and the like and they are 23 and 25 years old and still going strong. To advise is one thing and absolutely fine but to condemn and say 'this is crap and that is crap' is another thing. I'm sure no harm was intended however, maybe for the future a bit more tact might be useful so as not to offend anyone as you have to admit, if you think you are doing right by your cat and someone you don't really know comes along and basically says your doing crap, well that's how some people might have taken offence to it.

JMO

Fran
09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Mummsy - I would be interested in hearing more about Organipets. Is there a website, do they offer free samples at all?

random
09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Mummsy - I would be interested in hearing more about Organipets. Is there a website, do they offer free samples at all?

Me too! :-D

Elaine
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
http://www.organipets.co.uk/

Fran
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
As far as I am aware Applaws does contain taurine..

http://www.applaws.co.uk/files/10179715SC5.pdf

Kim
09-05-2008, 10:32 PM

You have as much right to be here as anyone and as Random said, it was just odd that you all seemed to arrive 'en masse' and seemed to praise Mummsys every word!!! I also agree that the original post in this thread could have been worded a little better, after all many of us here are very experienced cat owners. ;)

nursecroft
10-05-2008, 10:07 AM
:cat8 If you dont like it dont come on the thread then??!! Just an idea.
I personally find it interesting and havent been here for as long as you two, forums are for everyone to use the threads and dont be so unfriendly to new members!

If you want to feed your cat crap then sure thats your choice we are discussing what we feed our cats, thats our choice you have no right to come on mummsys thread and tell her you dont like it! :cat11 I really dont see why it offends you so much, we are only stating FACTS.

There was a trouble maker on a bengal forum they were on, i was a member here previously and thought this was a nice friendly forum, im quite shocked.

nursecroft
10-05-2008, 10:10 AM
You have as much right to be here as anyone and as Random said, it was just odd that you all seemed to arrive 'en masse' and seemed to praise Mummsys every word!!! I also agree that the original post in this thread could have been worded a little better, after all many of us here are very experienced cat owners. ;)

And many arent, i have had cats all my life however am still learning and did not know much about food. Thats why many people come to cat forums to learn. Mummsy's research may be different to yours, i really dont see why you have such a big problem.

Elaine
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
:cat8 If you dont like it dont come on the thread then??!! Just an idea.
I personally find it interesting and havent been here for as long as you two, forums are for everyone to use the threads and dont be so unfriendly to new members!

If you want to feed your cat crap then sure thats your choice we are discussing what we feed our cats, thats our choice you have no right to come on mummsys thread and tell her you dont like it! :cat11 I really dont see why it offends you so much, we are only stating FACTS.

There was a trouble maker on a bengal forum they were on, i was a member here previously and thought this was a nice friendly forum, im quite shocked.

Can we draw a line under this now as the point being made was about the condesending manner in which this thread was posted. You should not assume that people know nothing, just as you should not assume that people know everything, thats why some of us were offended. By all means post links about differing foods etc, many of us have done so in the past/present.
As for feeding my cats crap, you have no idea what i feed my cats as I have only ever mentioned one cat who is no longer with us, but had you looked on some of the other threads in this section then you might have had a good idea as to what many of us feed our animals.
Anyway this particular thread is going round in circles. Maybe Mummsy would like to start a new thread about the foods she reccomends in a less condesending manner thus we can all start over and make amends.

nursecroft
10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I have read the other threads thankyou and have a fair idea what you feed your cats, like i said its up to you what you do, this is just my personal opinion.

Im sorry you feel this thread was titled wrongly, like i said before you dont have to read it. Think the objections are quite pathetic to be honest which is why i was shocked to read them.

This site should be embracing people that are passionate about their cats and providing the best nutrition/care for them not critising them because they worded the thread wrongly?!

I cant "this thread is annoying" is a constructive comment or worded particulary well either. :cat6

Kim
10-05-2008, 01:10 PM
And many arent, i have had cats all my life however am still learning and did not know much about food. Thats why many people come to cat forums to learn. Mummsy's research may be different to yours, i really dont see why you have such a big problem.

I never said I had such a big problem did I?? :? I do object to you saying that we feed our cats crap - (I assume you are referring to Elaine and I) that is YOUR opinion and certainly not the case :evil: I have no objection to people coming on this site, but they have to be careful how they word things as to not cause offence. I don't think we are being unfriendly to new members either. If you care to look back over the 'free range or not' thread you will see that I agreed with you many times. I don't think your comment about feeding our cats crap was exactly friendly was it?

nursecroft
10-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I never said I had such a big problem did I?? :? I do object to you saying that we feed our cats crap - (I assume you are referring to Elaine and I) that is YOUR opinion and certainly not the case :evil: I have no objection to people coming on this site, but they have to be careful how they word things as to not cause offence. I don't think we are being unfriendly to new members either. If you care to look back over the 'free range or not' thread you will see that I agreed with you many times. I don't think your comment about feeding our cats crap was exactly friendly was it?

I know you did, i personally think cat foods like felix and whiskas are crap, that is my opinion and i am intitled to it. Like i said you are intitled to your opinion too and to feed your cats what you like.

This is a thread that mummsy started to show the research that SHE has done, she didnt start it to cause offence and you were not friendly i am simply replying in the tone you have shown to people i have alot of respect for.

I have found you and Elaine to be nice friendly people in the past which is why i was shocked by you posts on this thread.

I would not dream to come on your threads you have posted about your opinions on food and critisize what you feed your cats this is why this is a seperate thread.

I still fail to see how this thread has caused such a big issue!

Kim
10-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I am fed up with this, we are going round in circles. Elaine and I have made our feelings known, shame you are making such a big deal over it. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but saying that someone is feeding their cats crap, let's face it is not the nicest way to voice that opinion now is it?? :?

Az
10-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys, what on earth is going on! This is unlike the friendly Catsey we all know and love!

Are you lot on commission from Tescos or something? Many people have posted many interesting threads on here too, not just about Tescos finest either.
This thread is becoming annoying quite frankly.

Sorry Elaine, but I think your post was unfriendly - it all turned from this point on, was doing fine until then tbh. If you find the thread annoying, stay out of it - there really is no need to post that to spoil it for everyone else.

It's become annoying because the original post was a bit condesending from the offset and has since turned into some homage to Mumsy.
We have many threads in this section about pet foods/diet and nutrition. If I were joining another forum I would be looking at those to see what the people on the forum are about before I began preaching at them.
I have no objections to people with new info, who explain their findings to benefit others etc but all this is, is how bad whiskas is, nothing new there, and how good tescos finest is.
I just find it all very patronising and a little insulting that Mumsy thinks that none of us here have looked into what we feed our cats already.

I don't think the OP was intending to be condescending, just looks like what many others do - share what _they_ think is best. Remember, it is just someone's opinion - feel free to put across your opposing views, but leave it at that.

No one wants you to leave! I think people are just curious as to why everyone has came over together that's all, sometimes trouble makers or trolls get banned from forums and move onto another in groups so you can understand why people are asking. Saying that i've been in the same position you are where a group has went t*ts up and myself and a whole bunch of pals have moved elsewhere and i'm still there to this day - the dog site which is a sister site to this one.

I think Mumsy is just passionate about this topic that's all but I have to agree maybe could have been a little more tactful as the way it has been worded it sounds as if anyone feeding their cat on one of the particular brands mentioned is being condemned for it. I have had a cat fed on one of the *best* food out there and she ended up developing kidney disease, my auntie feeds her 2 on Whiskas, Felix and the like and they are 23 and 25 years old and still going strong. To advise is one thing and absolutely fine but to condemn and say 'this is crap and that is crap' is another thing. I'm sure no harm was intended however, maybe for the future a bit more tact might be useful so as not to offend anyone as you have to admit, if you think you are doing right by your cat and someone you don't really know comes along and basically says your doing crap, well that's how some people might have taken offence to it.

JMO

Agree with a lot of this, esp the bit about not having to leave - Catsey is for everyone, new and old, so long as people adhere to our PGs, which as far as I can tell the new members have :)

Maybe the original post could have been worded better, but even in it's current state it is not that bad!! It's just someone's opinion. So what if they slate the food you feed - it's their opinion, and not exactly them personally attacking you (unless of course you own the company that makes the food! :lol:).

Chill out - this is a forum where people are allowed their opinions. If you don't like the thread stay out of it - if you think someone is breaking our PGs (posting guidelines) use the report post icon to let the mods know.

Back on topic now please - if you want to respond to my post, use the feedback section instead of disrupting this thread any further, thanks.

Fran
10-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Mummsy, I can see that you have done a lot of research into what goes into commercial cat foods. Have you done any research/have any feelings r.e. raw feeding at all?

Az
10-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I phoned up about Whiskas, and was told that all their ingrediants are 100% natural... although if you look at it, 80% is water/moisture!!!

I don't like feeding her it, but she seems to do ok on it - when I am rich enough she will have fresh cooked meat and veg :lol:

Mummsy
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Applaws does contain taurine as I called and spoke to the guy (i think he was called Terry from memory) who is knowledgable on their nutritional values at Organipets. My local shop got it in for my and the rep gave her loads of samples. I can always send you some of mine!! Organipets do nt have much stock in the north yet as they have only just employed a rep to try and spread the word. There are however hundreds of shps in the south for those who are south, but you can search for suppliers on the website, and call for ordering direct, better still get the rep to call at your favourite store and tell the owner you want him to get it in (maybe once you have decided to go for it) thats what I have done with Organiets Applaws and natures menu.

To whomever may have thought I was a tad harsh in my first post..
I apologise, I was not trying to insult anyone or be a trouble maker. I am just extremely pasionate about the whole thing. Please forgive my bad choice of words?

Mummsy
11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Random and Fran!!!

Mummsy
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Mummsy, I can see that you have done a lot of research into what goes into commercial cat foods. Have you done any research/have any feelings r.e. raw feeding at all?

Hi erm, slightly thrown after all that!!
I will look at my spreadsheet (Yes I am THAT sad!!) unfortunately I have been away this weekend and my head is still in the lake District. give me a coupe of days until I have my day off and I will come back to you!!:D

Mummsy
11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Lara...:hug: thanks x

Fran
11-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi erm, slightly thrown after all that!!
I will look at my spreadsheet (Yes I am THAT sad!!) unfortunately I have been away this weekend and my head is still in the lake District. give me a coupe of days until I have my day off and I will come back to you!!:D

No problem Mummsy! I am passionate about raw feeding my dogs and my cats have a part raw diet too. Was just interested in your thoughts on this ;) Hope you had a good few days away :D

dandysmom
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Mummsy, I've stayed off this thread as I'm in the States where these brands aren't available (except Royal Canin, which Leia hates!) But I believe you have Purina's Fancy Feast and their Elegant Medleys there in the UK; what research if any have you done on them?

kitty cats
25-06-2008, 11:25 PM
this then answers my question on another thread, that yes it most likely is whiskas thats upsetting my kittens tummy?

how would you rate hills science diet for kittens?

Mags
25-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Whiskas doesn't necessary upset all kittens/cats tummies. My present cat has had Whiskas since she was a kitten....she's now 11..... and Whiskas has never upset her.
My previous cat was another Whiskas raised boy and he ate it every day for 12 years without any problems.

Some cats and kittens have more sensitive stomachs and need a more specialised food. In the meantime, continue giving your kitten boiled chicken or white fish until he is better..:)

kitty cats
25-06-2008, 11:44 PM
my adult cat has had whiskas all his life and never had a problem so i didnt think twice when giving it to the kitten but i guess they are all different arent they, he loves the chicken big time! lol

Hreow
26-06-2008, 10:09 AM
They *are* all different. :-) Feed ten cats on the same diet, some will turn their noses up, some will wolf it down, one will be ill from it and one or two will thrive. ^^ I've not noticed more conformity in cats than in people, and goodness knows our tastes differ.
As long as you are reasonably (informed and) comfortable with the quality, and the cat approves, there are probably other things more worthy worrying about.

As to "100% natural"... Arsenic, lead, digitalis and lily pollen are all natural, but I won't be feeding my cat any of them, if I can help it. :mrgreen:

dandysmom
26-06-2008, 03:59 PM
The voice of reason! Thanks, Hreow!