PDA

View Full Version : summer time

vicci_lou
07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
oki well this is ther first summer that ive had moyesy or any cat for that matter and im a bit worried that hes going to get ill because of the heat... i always makesure that he has fresh and clean water everyy and since its been hot ive been doing it 4 or 5 times a day tomake sure that it stsays fairly cool, he keeps lying in the shade and miawing at me pityfully though and he has been quite hot when i have touhed him on a few occasions, ive tried showing him his water bowl but hes not really drinking the water :( im just worried as i dont want him to get poorly.. anyone got any tips? :) i know im probably over reacting but i just want to be sure.

angieh
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Vicci-Lou! You sound as if you're doing the best you can with Moysey's water and it is sensible. The only other alternative really is a water fountain. Here's a link to a previous thread about them.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=27222&highlight=fountain

I have never had one and Merlin is quite happy to drink out of a bowl - and he does now too, learned his lesson much too late in life I fear!

If your cat has a shady place to go when it's hot, either indoors or out, then really I would not be too worried.

Fran
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Another trick to get more water into them is to add a spoonful or two of fresh water to wet food ;)

vicci_lou
07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Another trick to get more water into them is to add a spoonful or two of fresh water to wet food ;)

oo ill try this one i feed him food in gravey mainly hes fussy about jelly lol and i'll keep trying to get him to drink but ill have a look at the water fountain link thanks.. and hes got shade in the house ant theres bits in the garden but nowere spacifically for him do you think that i should try and get him his own thind for outside that he has shade? or will he be ok just lying in the bits that are already shaded?

angieh
07-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I do appreciate that you want to create a nice shady place for Moysey but the trouble with shade is that it moves! So I would let him find his own shady spots - or, if you create a nice shady place where you go to have a rest he might like to come and join you there. Fran's point about adding water to his food is a good tip and something I do for Merlin, you only need a little bit otherwise it might put him off his food - you could try increasing it gradually, a teaspoonful at a time. Merlin has metacam and I flush out the syringe two or three times with a small amount of water straight into his food.

dandysmom
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't improve on the excellent advice given above. Cats are sensible enough not to overexert in heat, and will seek a shady spot..I think you're doing fine!

Mags
07-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I have always added water to Cassie's food ever since Kazz gave me that wonderful tip a year or so ago. I had never seen Cassie drink water from her bowl and was getting concerned about it but now I know she is getting it every day and she loves lapping her 'gravy' before she has her meat..:D