PDA

View Full Version : Harnesses....

Lian
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM
What's your opinion on using harnesses on cats?

I have two indoor cats and would love for them to have a wander safely around the garden but only if I used a harness. It is something I've been thinking about for a while now but was unsure whether it would make them pine to be let out all the time?

Lian x

charliebubs
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Lian,

I think it's quite a tricky one, as once they have had a taste of the outside they may well pine to go out. But if you can get into some kind of routine and let them out regularly this may keep them happy.

I know there are other members on here who use harnesses sucessfully.

I did use a harness with my cat, Kuta, when we lived in an apartment in Australia. It did work well, but Kuta is quite a nervy cat anyway and she wasn't that keen on being in the big wide world!!! :roll:

I know a breeder who puts their stud cats on harnesses and ties them on an extra piece of string to the washing line in the summer. Sounds odd - but it means that they can wander the whole length of the garden and have a bit of freedom, but on a long "lead" :) They seem to love it!!! :)

yola
07-05-2008, 11:21 AM
If you get them used to the harness and they come to expect going out ONLY on the harness then there shouldn't be any problem.

vicci_lou
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
i treid it with moyesy and it did work, but i did find that he did get a taste for going out and started creating a fuss, so in the end i gave up and let him out... although he was a rescue cat and apparantly a stray so he would of been used to going out and i dont think that you can change that about a cat once theyve had a taste for freedom.. however if i do find him on the street at any time and i walk home with him he will just walk at my side now without any fuss.. just like a traind dog so it must of worked a little in his head id definately give it a try though:)

Fran
07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Some of my indoor only cats are harness trained and seem to love being outdoors on their harnesses :D

dandysmom
07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree that if you establish a routine and adhere to it they will adjust happily and not try to go out. And I disagree that a cat who had been previously outdoors will not adapt to it: Patches who I rehomed when she was 1 1/2, quickly adjusted to walking on her harness when she realized that was the only way she was going out. She watched me walking my other two from the window and, being a smart girl, caught on! Over the years I've harness-trained 5 cats: 3 pedigrees and 2 moggies; it's an ideal situation for someone like me on a heavily trafficed street and with a woods nearby with foxes, etc! Go for it!

babycakes
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
My cat has been trained to be on a harness as we live on a main road and I couldn't justify not protecting him from being knocked over.
I got him used to it by letting him wear it for longer each day around the house, then he went on a lead into the garden, then I bought a retractable dod lead so that he could wander without me standing behind him, now he is attached to the washing line with the retractable dog lead this means he doesn't get tangled in anything and is content knowing how far he can go, but he gets the full run of the garden.

Hreow
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Another vote for harness and a regular schedule for walks. :-)
Which reminds me that I need to order another harness and a sack of collars at Kittycat Boutique. ^^ His nibs has taken to misplacing them. :roll:

Lian
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Some great ideas thanks. Think I will try this weekend.

dandysmom
08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Awaiting a report with interest, Lian! Good luck....and pics, maybe?

Sweeney Todd
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
We tried to put a harness on Sweeney, and just as we got the first clip on he decided he didn't like it and bolted, with the harness following him. At this point Kylie thought it was a game and cashed Sweeney all over the house trying to catch the harness:lol:
That was the first and last time we tried it on Sweeney....
Kylie been out on one but, hers is pink so i wont walk her far on it:lol:

Fiorella-Bella
08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Why not...guys look good in Pink too! :lol: :lol:

Sweeney Todd
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
I forgot about the photo's:oops:

nursecroft
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Betula loves her harness! I do think it depends on the cat though she took to it straight away, if a cat doesnt like it i would not push it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/070520081152.jpg

Lian
09-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks. If I can get hold of some harnesses on Saturday, think I'll give it a go over the weekend! Crossing fingers and of course, will get some piccies. Have a lovely weekend everyone. Lian x

Lian
09-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Betula loves her harness! I do think it depends on the cat though she took to it straight away, if a cat doesnt like it i would not push it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/nursecroft/070520081152.jpg

I adore Betula :smt049

babycakes
09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Betula is a sweetheart love the name too

nursecroft
10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
:D thankyou, im very lucky she adopted me :D

mattde
19-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I think harnesses are a good idea, I hope to use them on my new cats, come spring I would like to be able to sit outside and watch the little ones explore the garden.

Phoenix
19-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Beauty never took to a harness or collar. Dylan (so far) is only used to going out with a harness on (once he's stopped scaring himself with shadows we'll be letting him out without the harness.)

tilly
19-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I used a harnes on my two cat when they were 11 years old as I wanted them to be able to go out but be bale to keep an eye on them as they have health issues. I am now in the process of cat proofing my garden so they can run around. I have also used a harness on my new kitten. I started by putting it on for short perioda and increasing it for my older cats but just put it on ziggy as she is veyr outgoing.

hope it works for you best of luck

Tilly

Tina
20-11-2008, 12:58 AM
We use harnesses for both our cats!

We started using one right from when Miw was 9 weeks old (that was 4 years ago) and she won't go out now without the harness on! She's so used to it that we can tie her on a long rope and let her wander the garden on her own, checking on her periodically. She has managed to "slip" the harness once or twice when it's caught on a stone or low branch, but she immediately comes to the door and meows to let us know. She also holidays with us in Derbyshire every year and goes for walks in the countryside and in the hills LOL she's fine as long as no one talks to her on the walks, then she gets a bit skittish and leaps into OH's arms.

We have also gotten Mousie used to a harness as well, however we don't let her out on it by herself as she is full of mischief and I'm terrified to think of the trouble she could get into! She's a climber and when we take her around the garden on her harness we have to stay well away from trees or she'll disappear up them in the blink of an eye.....harness and all LOL!

Yep, harnesses are great for cats who can get used to them! Keeps them safe from cars, etc but lets them have outdoor time.

Be warned though....they WILL get used to going outside and will want out at least every day......Miw drives us mad with her yowling to go out at least 3 times a day LOL!

PoshPuss
24-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I've got a harness for Posh now which is great we both get fresh air and although its only our garden she walks around I feel better that she's away from the cars and other cats that may chase her off.

dandysmom
24-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Some pics coming. PP? I'm a great believer in harnesses if you live in an area where free roaming is unsafe or impractical.

PoshPuss
24-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I'lltryand get some picsof Posh in her pretty pink harness and also the grass eating exploits ;)

dandysmom
24-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I'd love to see them. I had two, a green one for stout Misty that matched her eye color, and a red one that fit both Dandy and Patches who were smaller cats. It used to be Sultans.

angieh
26-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh yes PP - I also vote for pictures of Posh in her harness! What a good girl. Pip is getting used to going out for walks in his harness too. He will eventually be allowed to go outside without, but he's too young atm. Kizzy likes to accompany us now. (I know, photos!)

Mayberry
19-11-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm really keen on harness training our prospective cats.

I hear that 'H' harnesses- that go round the cat's front legs rather than their neck, are best. Anyone have any experience with the different types?

Also- does anyone know a good place to get harnesses online? I saw one of zooplus.com, but it was black and rather boring! I'd love a cuter one.

dandysmom
19-11-2009, 09:53 PM
I've always used a figure 8 harness.

angieh
20-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi Mayberry! You should send a PM to our member random who sells online.

I have one of her harnesses for Pip, who loves to walk around the garden on it.

Pickalilly
27-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi,
I have my 14 week kitten going out daily (garden) in a harness and he doesn't even notice it anymore, but just wanders around the garden. The reason I decided to get him a harness is because he looks quite scared of the birds from inside so the vet reccommended getting him used to it before he goes out alone.

Alfiekins
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I take one of my cats out on a harness just round our garden only. He was an indoor/outdoor cat for six years but due to him going missing just before Christmas 2010 and turning up in the early hours of the morning absolutely terrified, we chose to keep him in and only let him out on the harness. He has taken to it very well and is just like a dog when I pick up the harness and say "Walk!"

pamela81
03-01-2012, 07:58 PM
ive tried harris with a harness on and he didnt like it before we even got outside so i didnt continue it with him, didnt want to stress him out. Never tried it with skye though

Alfiekins
11-01-2012, 09:59 PM
ive tried harris with a harness on and he didnt like it before we even got outside so i didnt continue it with him, didnt want to stress him out. Never tried it with skye though

No my other cat Storm freaked out when he was 'grounded' by the vet for 2 weeks. I attempted it to get him outside for some fresh air but he couldn't work out what the hell he was attached too!