PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye advice(again)

smudgley
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
OK, brown hair dyed reddy / blonde a few months ago, with black underneath. Now want it to be blonde with black underneath

Q- Is it ok to put a blonde dye over an old faded red dye? I'm a bit worried as one of my friends had a recent hair disaster (& that was at a hairdressers) where she was having all over blonde on top & brown underneath. But the brown dye ran out of the foils onto the blonde & she went pink, seriuosly she was mortified! Although it lookedquite cool as she's really pretty & only had a few pinky streaks - she looked good.

I however am not brave enough to risk going pink or any other unwanted colour.

The dye I've got says you can dye over previously coloured hair, but not if it's been coloured with henna :?

HELP? Safe to give it a go or not?

Mags
05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself, I would get advice from my hairdresser... :?

I hope someone can advise you Smudgley..:)

smudgley
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself, I would get advice from my hairdresser... :?

I hope someone can advise you Smudgley..:)

Yep but I won't be seeing her for another 4 weeks. She knows I'm always tinkering about with colours on my hair. :oops:

Kazz
05-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I am no use, I am a coward I only put on temp wash in wash out ones, sure someone will be able to help you.

MrsH
05-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd ask an expert, don't risk it, can't you phone your hairdresser if you're not seeing her for a while yet?

The only time I ever did my own colouring was when I was a student. My hair had got rather bleached as I'd been in southern Spain for quite a while so I tried to even up the colour, ended up with "tomato-soup red" and bought a wig to cover it up!

random
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
You'd probably need a pre-lightner on it before you use a normal dye, you could try but you might not notice much difference, depends how much lighter your new colour is. Is the colour you have on now permanent?

smudgley
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
You'd probably need a pre-lightner on it before you use a normal dye, you could try but you might not notice much difference, depends how much lighter your new colour is. Is the colour you have on now permanent?

Yes it's permanent. Its been on since jan

random
06-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes it's permanent. Its been on since jan

If it's quite dark then you might not notice much of a change in which case you'd need a pre-lightener first as it's permanent. The reason your friends may have went pink is if she was having the blonde and brown put on at once and they were both wet at the same time, they will have mixed together and had a reaction with each other. Look on the box to see which colours it covers, there's usually a pictures of say a dark brown hair, and next to it what the result will be, then a lighter one, and what the result will be e.t.c. This will give you an idea of the shade you will achieve. If your hair is quite faded or light then it should cover fine. It won't go green or anything!

Go on, go for it. :lol:

smudgley
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
If it's quite dark then you might not notice much of a change no it's naturally darkish, but currently red with afew blonde streaks in which case you'd need a pre-lightener first as it's permanent. The reason your friends may have went pink is if she was having the blonde and brown put on at once and they were both wet at the same time, they will have mixed together and had a reaction with each other. Yes, that's exactly what happened, whilst they were "cooking" in the foils the one dye seeped out onto the otherLook on the box to see which colours it covers, there's usually a pictures of say a dark brown hair, and next to it what the result will be, then a lighter one, and what the result will be e.t.c. This will give you an idea of the shade you will achieve. If your hair is quite faded the dye/colour is faded now or light then it should cover fine. It won't go green or anything!
Go on, go for it. :lol:

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still unsure. :?

Might riak it and be brave at the weekend :oops:

Elaine
06-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Personally, I'd give the red colour a good wash with head and shoulders, as its known to strip colour from hair, and then go for it. But thats me, I am a walking disaster and take too many risks and short cuts:lol:

smudgley
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Personally, I'd give the red colour a good wash with head and shoulders, as its known to strip colour from hair, and then go for it. But thats me, I am a walking disaster and take too many risks and short cuts:lol:

I can take risks too.

I think I'll risk it, I just keep thinking tis colour has been on so long now & it's faded, so it must be safe. :shock:

Elaine
06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
You go for it girl, I am sure green will suit you well:lol:

babycakes
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I would do a colour test in case it goes pink to be honest, just dye a small piece in a not so obvious area

Erin
06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I did my roots when i was at elaine and i have red in my hair kel,we put some of the blonde over some of the red to see what would happen and nothing did,its not gone green or pink.