PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mouse!

Tina
02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi All!

Just a quick update on how Mouse is feeling. As many of you know, she had non-regenerative anemia which started a few weeks ago. Her Hematocrit was at 6.3 at that time (normal range is 25 to 35) and it got lower quickly and 4 days later it was at 5.9 and was affecting her breathing and heart and she was very ill. My vet's cat, Harry (the life-saver!), kindly donated blood for an emergency blood transfusion and that raised Mouse's levels to 14, and gave her some energy for about a week. She had a bone marrow biopsy which has come back inconclusive now and has been retested for FeLV (She's already tested negative twice, but they wanted to do it again) we are awaiting those results still!

Last week when we saw the vet, Mouse's Hematocrit was back down to 8.4 and he said the transfusion was running out now and that the steroids she had been on for 2 weeks could take another 3 weeks to work, so we were running against the clock! He also said that once they started to work it could take a long time for her Hematocrit to raise again to a safe level.

Today, we went back to have her stitches out from the bone marrow biopsy, and while we were there the vet decided to check her hematocrit again because she's been eating non-stop and has more energy. The vet thinks she is a MIRACLE KITTY, because though her hematocrit was only 8.4 a week ago......TODAY it was up to 24.4!!! That's almost normal range!!!

So, we're still waiting for the final FeLV tests, and hopefully those will be negative, and it looks like she will be on steroids long-term.

But for the moment, she is feeling well and wanting to eat and play all the time.......nevermind sleep, she's done enough of that the past weeks! Fingers crossed that she continues to improve and that all 5 of her HUGE shaved bits grow back again!

Thanks to all for your responses and all the healing vibes you have sent to Mouse over the weeks!

Tina

dandysmom
02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Oh Tina, what wonderful news about Mouse! :D Thanks so much for the update; healing vibes still coming!! (((hugs)))

yola
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh that is SUCH wonderful news, Tina! I'm delighted Mouse seems to be making great strides in improvement :-D Long may it continue. You've been so vigilant and dedicated to getting him better - well done you :D

Mags
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Wonderful news about mouse, I hope she continues to improve..:D

angieh
02-05-2008, 01:11 PM
****HUGS**** to you and to dear Mouse. Wonderful news, I hope it continues. We'd love a photo if you could bring yourself to take one. We don't care a jot about shaved bits, but a photo of brave Mouse would be great. :D

danits_24
02-05-2008, 01:11 PM
:p I am very happy to hear the good news...

Moli
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Brilliant news, hope she continues to improve...

pinklizzy
02-05-2008, 09:10 PM
SO glad to hear that Mouse's haem levels are nearly back to normal and that she seems to be feeling better in herself to! Fingers crossed for the FeLV results.

babycakes
02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh that sounds really positive, although blood transfussions are good, they only initially show the donors blood count, if your kitty or relative, (human), take to this then it takes some weeks to show the true effects. This is obviously the case here and a good sign because Mouse's red blood cells have regenerated. (I used to work in blood tranfussion, for humans).

Onwards and upwards Mouse, Even if the FeLV is neg hen it may have been this boost that was needed... Who knows
All crossed here though XXXXX

Elaine
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I have everything crossed for Mouse and continuing improvements to his health, he IS a miracle kitty xxxx

Tina
04-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Not sure if changing my profile picture worked or not......I don't know how else to get pictures up! If this did work, then here's my Miracle Kitty, Mousie!

Thanks for your responses and good wishes all! Still awaiting the FeLV tests, but Mouse is feeling great!

:-)

Mags
04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Not sure if changing my profile picture worked or not......I don't know how else to get pictures up! If this did work, then here's my Miracle Kitty, Mousie!

Thanks for your responses and good wishes all! Still awaiting the FeLV tests, but Mouse is feeling great!

:-)
Tina, this link may help you to post your pics on here.....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

You will need to get your photos hosted somewhere first though..... most of us use Photobucket which is free. Just follow the instructions ;)

http://photobucket.com (http://photobucket.com/)