PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to let an indoor cat out into the garden?

jackandbuster
01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
We have two main coon boys, 16 months old. And are wondering in the summer is it wise to let them in the back garden or will curiosity get to them and they will jump the fence!

What do you think?

angieh
01-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, you know the saying "Curiosity killed the cat ......"! Cats are curious by nature and there's no one on earth who could guarantee your cats won't climb the fence and explore their exciting new outside world. :lol: Have you thought about cat-proofing your garden or training your beauties to a lead - you could find threads about both these things here on Catsey!

Hope you all manage to enjoy the summer in the garden!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

yola
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
I have 2 oldie persians who lounge around in the garden when we are out there. They sometimes sneak out for a look outside the garden boundaries. I have a year old persian also who has been out on a lead a few times and now ventures out without the lead. He too has snuck out on occasion.

I'm always watching them and the older ones know to come back in when I tap a broom on the floor. The younger one I hope to train to do likewise.

But there is never any guarantee that they will not try to leg it! Proceed with caution!

dandysmom
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I would not do it; they are quick and could be over the fence and away in a flash! I harness trained mine and took them for walks and into the garden which they all enjoyed. Would it be possible to catproof your garden?

jackandbuster
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
how could i cat proof a 6 foot fence? apart from that its ok.

kado
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
You can get a special sort of fence i think it fits on top it. When we get a house which i hope is soon i am thinking about getting it. I couldnt bear for any of them to go missing. I know there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

jane

charliebubs
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
how could i cat proof a 6 foot fence? apart from that its ok.

I have my garden cat-proofed. There are several systems on the market that you can buy, which fit to the top of the 6 foot fencing and mean that the cats cannot get over. I have the Secur a Cat system. There was a thread on here about it not long ago.......maybe someone will find it and post a link (I'm not sure how!)

If you don't cat proof the garden, I would say not to let them out. Not only will you have the issue of them possibly legging it and not coming back - but you will then have the problem of them knowing what it's like outside and probably not then wanting to be confined as indoor cats. It's not really fair to let them in the garden in the summer, but not for the rest of the year. The cats won't understand this reasoning.

I hope that helps!! :)

Mags
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
These link will give you some idea about cat proofing your garden........

http://www.woodycoon.com/html/cat-proof_fencing.html

............and this one will show you how Charlie cat proofed her own garden (8th photo down)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=22532

charliebubs
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Mags!! :)

charliebubs
02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
If this works :roll: then this should be a link to the other thread about gardens and fences that was dicsussed the other week.....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=27168&highlight=garden

Lian
06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I think it totally depends on the cat. I have two british shorthairs, one of which would happily lounge around and not jump over the fence and the other would would be off so I wouldn't risk it unless you can totally cat proof your garden like others have said. Alternatively, have you room for a dog/cat kennel and run? They might enjoy spending some time outside in that or attach to the house somehow so they can have access all the time?

Lian x