PDA

View Full Version : Unusual litter tray behaviour

pwpfrog
29-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi

I'm new to the forums and was hoping someone could help.

My five year old indoor male cat has been acting strange ever since he had his booster vaccination a few weeks ago. The vet advised he was overweight and changed his diet to Royal Cannin.

Ever since then though he's been constantly going to the litter tray and doing nothing, but he is back and fourth to the tray.

He doesn't seem in pain, he's still fussy and loving, still playing with the other cats etc, drinking normal etc.

He does pass motions and wee but not every time.

I've now had two vets check him out and they both gave him clean bill of health, no signs of bladder problems, blockages etc.

I have noticed a lump on his back towards his tail which did have a black spot, not sure if this is from play fighting and is a cut mind you.

Both vets have assured me he is fine, and he seems fine in himself.

I may be overdue in worming him and I've gone back to giving him pouch food to see if that settles the problem, I'm trying to eliminate things before going to the vets again though.

Can anyone shed any light on why he might be doing this? I am worried as I don't think it's right! Thanks.

angieh
29-04-2008, 10:44 PM
How worrying for you, pwpfrog! You know your cat best and if you think there is something wrong, you're probably right. It's strange the the two vets who have seen him say everything's OK. My immediate thought would be a urinary infection, and cats can mask pain extremely well. Can you say what sort of tests the vets performed, or whether they just gave him a physical examination?

There are other Catsey members far more knowledgeable than I am on things medical - hope they pick up on this thread soon. Hope all is well.

yola
30-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Whe my Balie gets cystitis those are the symptoms he displays. Frequent litter tray visits coupled with sometimes crying why trying to pee and occasionally blood in the urine.

Have the vets asked you for a urine sample from your cat? That will show if there is either an infection or possibly even crystals present.

It's the only thing I can think off . . .

Elaine
30-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I was going to suggest collecting a urine sample too as it certainly sounds like there is something not quite right. I hope you get it sorted soon xxx

pwpfrog
30-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi

Thanks for your replies. The two vets I have seen have only done physical examinations but I'm going to book another appointment tomorrow. He's not meowing when he's in the tray but he meows when I go near him, but I think he's after treats!!!! :)

The strange thing is, he only seems to be doing this if someone is with him. He's sound asleep at the moment, I'm upstairs but I just snook down to look at him and he's curled up on the sofa happy as larry!!!!

Same thing this morning when I got up, he was asleep on his faveourite chair but as soon as I went into the kitchen it all started again!!!!!!!!

yola
30-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Maybe he quite simply doesn't like being watched! Some cats are very private about the litter tray. Does you tray have a hood to afford him some privacy?

pwpfrog
30-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Would you believe when he sees me cleaning out the litter tray he practically sits down on the scoop?!?! He certainly doesn't mind being watched!!!!