PDA

View Full Version : Merlin is Yowling!

angieh
27-04-2008, 01:49 PM
This isn't a new behaviour for him and I suppose I may have reinforced it because it can be quite alarming! He stands in the hallway and just yowls - it's a heartbreaking sound, sometimes very loud and he just sits there and keeps doing it. He's not in pain, he's not hungry, he doesn't need anything it seems except reassurance and a cuddle, so that's what he gets. Luckily, he doesn't seem to do it in the middle of the night because usually he is with us asleep on the bed. He doesn't do it when he can see us.

I have read that calling can be due to senility and that seems to be the most likely cause - he does not know where he is and is anxious.

Does anyone else have any insight or info on this behaviour?

PoshPuss
27-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh dear Angie, it must be distressing to hear that all day and not know what to do about it.:?
If he doesn't do it if he can see you how about having background noise, radio, TV chatter, maybe it'll comfort him. Is Merlin's sight ok? maybe cataracts are confusing him. He sounds a lot like a little boy lost, poor baby:(

yola
27-04-2008, 02:28 PM
My friend's cat used to do that - he had lost his sight mostly and was getting very senile, I remember hearing it over the phone and it was a really sad sound :( . However, having said that, my Balie used to do it a lot for no aparent reason, although conversly he has stopped doing it now that he is older.

angieh
27-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Merlin's sight is fine - I often try the finger test and he can follow it up, down and to both sides. I think his short sight may be a bit impaired - I have noticed he has a bit of trouble trying to find out where the water starts in his water bowl! That's quite funny to watch, but he gets there in the end.

There is normally a TV on somewhere or music or something - although I do suspect his hearing is not what it used to be and I did get some eardrops to make sure his ears are clean, but he HATES having his ears done!

Elaine
27-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Cats can yowl for a variety of reasons, deafness, hyperactive thyroids, high blood pressure and senility being some of those causes. However, I am more inclined, from what you have said to wonder about his hearing rather than senility. My reason being that if it were due to senility, thyroid or blood pressure issues, the yowling would be at all times of the day and night.
Winston had high blood pressure and its assumed he also had a touch of senility. He would wake or simply start yowling at any time, like you, I used to just go get him, pick him and cuddle him, and he was fine. Ofcourse we did have to get him meds for the high blood pressure which helped alot too.

babycakes
27-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Poor Merlin, he may just need cuddles as you say.
Denis has a particular high pitch yowl which is just for calling me. If he wants a to come in or wants a cuddle. He stops when he gets what he wants though

dandysmom
27-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Patches did that too, just as you've described; it is sad hearing that lost mornful wailing; she too was comforted when you cuddled her. I always assumed it was senility; she started when she was about 18....

Sweeney Todd
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Just a thought....
Everytime he yowls you give him a fuss...He might just want some attention. It looks like he's getting you trained.LOL