PDA

View Full Version : Advice pls

Archer
25-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi
am a 'lurker'' here...don't post much but read and look at piccys.
Need advice for a neighbour...she has taken on a little cat who we believe originally belonged to a person down the road who moved.She took the cat in a few weeks ago after feeding it etc in the garden.She is obviously pregnant but we need to know if she is in labour(had a cat who had kittens as a child but always got up to 'job done' if you know what I mean)
The cat is unusually freindly,purring constantly and washing herself(everywhere..not just tail end).She doesn't want my neighbour out of site and is quite happy to stay up in her box in a quiet bedroom if her owner is with her...if her owner leaves...so does the cat.She seems restless but not in any pain.
Advice pls
PS...cat will be speyed asap...so no lectures pls.:D

Mags
25-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Hello Archer, it's good to see you here again!:D

I haven't experienced a cat giving birth before so I'll leave that to the experts who will be along soon...

Restlessness is one of the signs though..;)

CathyW
25-04-2008, 03:39 PM
many moons ago i had a female who had kittens. and she was very affectionate and wouldnt let me leave her when she was in early labour. so i just got a chair a few supplys n a book and stayed put. she did very well on her own. but just needed her mum near by.
but there will be a more experienced owner tell u whats right im just going by what i did. (she had 6 healthy babys in the end)

dandysmom
25-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi, Archer! All my girls have been spayed so never experienced a birthing; however from what you've described it sounds like she is near...hopefully the experts will be along soon ........ good luck to the little one!

angieh
25-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Nothing more knowledgeable to add I'm afraid Archer! Good luck to mistress pusscat and kitties and to your neighbour too.

charliebubs
25-04-2008, 04:59 PM
My cat gets very affectionate and needy when she's pregnant - but for the whole term and not just the birth - so that's probably no help!

If this cat is about to give birth I would think she should be starting to "nest" somewhere and be very restless. You should also be able to see the contractions nearer the end. :)

Archer
27-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Just thought I'd let you know the cat had 4 kittens yesterday night(they are now just over 24hrs old)
Weighed them yesterday...they weighed between 83 and 89g.Weighed today and they weigh from 92g to 112g so seem to be doing ok:D

babycakes
27-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Wow!! Hope them and mum are all ok X

angieh
27-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks for letting us know Archer! Good luck to mum and babies - hope all continues well for them and that they manage to go to good, caring homes!

Mags
27-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Glad the kittens arrived safely.....good luck to mum and her new family :D

dandysmom
27-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the update; glad all went well!

Kay
27-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Glad all went well. They certainly seem to be doing well with that weight gain. Keep us posted.

Kazz
27-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Pleased all went well. Thats a ood weight gain even to my uneducated "kitten" eye.

Sasadams
27-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Pleased to hear new mum and babies are doing well! :D