PDA

View Full Version : searching for property...

Tink
23-04-2008, 02:24 AM
me and my OH have always dreamed of living in the woods in the middle of nowhere and out in nature..over the last year we've been "casually" in contact with a real estate agent about buying land..(four to five acres).
our plan:
buy land, manage another mortgage payment, take a few years to get it to be "livable" and build a house. and in the meantime, get a cheap mobile home and "get away from it all" on the weekends..once it's able to move in..turn our current house into a rental property.
well, we drove up about 1500 feet into the mountains and checked out this one area..it was beautiful..there were still some bits of snow in a few areas but very thin..i saw lots of animals (and kept squeeling like an excited child since i've always lived in the city)...there were waterfalls and streams and creeks and trees for miles...and wonderful fresh, cool air to breathe in. i fell in love. i couldn't walk five feet without stopping to explore little critters and parts of nature that have always fascinated me but i've only seen in books. i didn't want to leave.
i don't know if this will go through or if we'll still shop around..the three we've looked at all run around $100,000 for the land (no building..just acres of land).
the dogs could run for hours without neighbors complaining..i wouldn't hear the teenagers blasting their radio while they washed their car every sunday morning...my cats could have an outdoor run..and i could take the ferrets out on leashes to dig to their hearts content in real dirt instead of buying bags of soil at the grocery store like i do now. it would just be...amazing.
the view was trees forever..and mountains across the way.
oh, i hope our dream comes true one day.
i shouldn't get my hopes up, it may not happen for awhile...
but keep your fingers crossed for me.
our whole lives would change..oh, i could stay there forever...

yola
23-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Good luck, that's a wonderful dream to have. I'm sure if you both work at it you'll acheive it . . . after all, you're both young and all is infront of you :D

dandysmom
23-04-2008, 04:47 PM
How exciting! Your enthusiasm and joy came thru right off the screen! I really do hope that you'll be able to do this; as Yola said you're both young and time is on your side.

As a City woman born and raised I can't help but wonder how you would get along in a harsh snowy Winter! Would the roads be cleared so your OH could get to work, and you to the grocery, doctor, vet, etc? I sound like such a wet blanket, don't I? But all my life I've been within walking distance of the grocery, pharmacy, bank, library, etc. and the bus stop is right up the block! No pioneering spirit here!

Go for it, gal!

angieh
23-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds like my idea of heaven, Tink! Really hope that you keep hold of your dream and that it comes true for you some day.

I think my first priority would be a generator!!!

Mags
23-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I hope you can fulfil your dream one day Tink..:D

I can imagine you both turning it into a rescue for every lost or injured animal around..:D

Good luck to you both!

Tink
23-04-2008, 08:25 PM
thanx, everyone.
well i'm young(ish), 28..he's a little older..37. we might be stressed at first managing out the financing but it would be so worth it for the future.
we're kinda in the boonies now but on flat land..but i am surrounded by cows and horses..LOL. we already have a generator cuz the power goes out because of the wind. we don't get snowed in per se but it's enough snow for me to get nervous driving..so it would definitely be an experience trying to do it in the small unmaintained roads up there.
i told him since it will take a few years to get it liveable what we could do is when we go on the weekends and gradually spend more time there he could sit in the passenger seat and help me practice..LOL.
and mags it's so funny what you said..my first thought was devoting one of the acres to a rescue (so i could have my personal kids seperated from shelter kids).
we'll see what happens...but oh i could fantasize more and more so easily!
the property is only technically ten miles from where we live..we could still access stores and such but the gravel road down the mountains (though not long in distance) would just take longer driving because it is not really maintained.
anyway, thanx for reading..... :-)