PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mousie and how do we lower temperature?

Tina
23-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Hi folks!

Mouse is still at home and feeling the same as before. Went to the vet today and he retested for FeLV so awaiting those results. Her hematoctrit is currently at 8.4 (should be 25 - 35?) which is actually better than when we first took her to the vet and it was 5.9.......so the blood transfusion is still having some effect. The bone marrow results show new red blood cells, but they don't seem to be in her blood yet....but maybe the steroids are beginning to work? The vet said it could take 3 to 6 weeks to respond to the steroids!

The vet took Mouse's temperature today, because I thought she felt very warm around her shaved bits, and he said it was a little bit high (39.3 celsius or 102.7 farenheit I think) so not VERY high, but a bit! This may be a result of whatever's ailing her or it may be caused by her body working hard to heal the site of the bone marrow biopsy surgery......there appears to be no infection at the site and it's healing really well.

Any ideas how to get the temperature down a bit? She is still drinking alot but not very hungry....though eating some. And how long should the antibiotics take to work? She's been on them for 5 days!

Sorry to bother everyone again......I am still very worried about her!

Tina x

yola
23-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Tina, after 5 days the antibiotics should have started to work, what does the vet advise on this? Maybe some stronger ones might be in order?

As for temperature, I think must make sure she continues to drink lots, I don't know what else to suggest for a cat . . . maybe a damp towel placed over her for a bit, but she may get stressed by that.

angieh
23-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks for letting us know how Mouse is getting on Tina. I would go with Yola about the antibiotics - did you ask the vet about more antib's? With a person, you can put them under the shower but that certainly wouldn't be a good idea with a cat. Just keep her quiet, although I don't expect she's running around. Cool cloth on her paws perhaps if she will tolerate it - but not worth stressing her in any way.

We do have some veterinary nurses here at Catsey, hope they may be along shortly to give better/more qualified advice!

Still sending healing vibes out to Mouse and ***HUGS*** to you are such a distressing time.

Tina
23-04-2008, 02:09 PM
The antibiotics were given BEFORE she had a fever, as a precaution in case of infection from the bone marrow biopsy, the fever just came on Monday or Tuesday. The vet gave another week's worth of antibiotics and doesn't seem overly worried as the temp isn't far above normal. She seems a little cooler today and is eating a little better....and still drinking plenty. She spent alot of time in a sunny window yesterday and on the weekend, so maybe that's what caused it?

I think you're right about a damp towel stressing her :-) she'd go mad! I have been applying cool water to her foot pads though as apparently they're one of the central temperature control areas.

Thanks for your response Yola!

Tina
23-04-2008, 02:12 PM
And thank you Angie!

:-)

It helps to know there are other cat lovers about to talk to when I get really worried.....which is always lately!