PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyone growing this year...??

Moli
21-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I am about to start some seeds off, but not sure what to grow this year...what is everyone growing??

EmmaG
21-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Flowers or veg???

I am growing loads of veg this year, especially onions :) also carrots, cauliflower, peas, herbs etc

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Vegetables: tomatoes (Super Marmande, Larissa, Ailsa Craig). basil (Genoa), hot peppers (Cayenne), shelling beans (Borlotto), scallions and radishes. Herbs: oregano, rosemary, catnip. marjoram. The tomatoes are up about 4 - 5 inches now, will set them out May 1st. The others are smaller, will wait a bit ....

Annuals: zinnias, tithonia. Also put in a bunch of summer bulbs: acidanthera and hardy gladiolus. They are finally coming up!!

pinklizzy
21-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow! You are a green-fingered bunch! I have two house-plants:Emily and Sprout and I can just about keep them alive! I had some nice pot plants on my roof terrace at my old house but we don't have any outside space here which I really miss.

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Wow! You are a green-fingered bunch! I have two house-plants:Emily and Sprout and I can just about keep them alive! I had some nice pot plants on my roof terrace at my old house but we don't have any outside space here which I really miss.

:-D What sort of plants are Emily and Sprout??

pinklizzy
21-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Emily is a pink gerbera and Sprout is a purple primula!

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Ah, very nice! If I weren't across the Pond I'd offer you some spider plants...they multiply like rabbits!!

pinklizzy
21-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Aww, thanks Eileen! Maybe we'll come and visit when we come over to the states, only two weeks to go!

CathyW
21-04-2008, 09:37 PM
my OH is doing us a veggie patch. and i just scattered some seeds and they are coming up, no idea on what they are, think theres some old fasioned marigolds in there some where. and possibly some poppies. other than that its going to be a surprise :)

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 10:02 PM
BM, was that one of those assorted flower seed packets? I did one of those a few years back when the City put in a new tree in the tree box and they were spectacular!
Think I have a pic somewhere.....

random
21-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Giant Bamboo, honest i'm useless with plants but my Cacti and Aloe are still alive so i'm going to give it a shot. It's all so complicated though, apparently I have to soak the seeds in salt water for 10 mins, then soak in warm water overnight, then sow them the next day, wish me luck, i'll need it! :lol:

I have enough trouble with the cat grass and you just put it in mud and leave it! :lol: I love gardening, it just doesn't love me, typical the only plants I do well with are the ones that produce all wee babies which I just don't have the heart to throw in the compost bin! :-D

Eileen, my father offered me another type of Aloe last week after his sprouted 4 or 5 babies, I literally ran from the house! :lol::-D

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 11:41 PM
YGiant Bamboo, honest i'm useless with plants but my Cacti and Aloe are still alive so i'm going to give it a shot. It's all so complicated though, apparently I have to soak the seeds in salt water for 10 mins, then soak in warm water overnight, then sow them the next day, wish me luck, i'll need it! :lol:

I have enough trouble with the cat grass and you just put it in mud and leave it! :lol: I love gardening, it just doesn't love me, typical the only plants I do well with are the ones that produce all wee babies which I just don't have the heart to throw in the compost bin! :-D

Eileen, my father offered me another type of Aloe last week after his sprouted 4 or 5 babies, I literally ran from the house! :lol::-D

OMG, Random, I don't know if Giant Bamboo is anything like regular, but if it is, don't ! :shock: Years ago I made the mistake of putting some in and it infiltrated slowly and then suddenly took over the entire yard almost overnight; I could not cope with it and finally had to hire a landscaping crew to come and remove it by digging out the roots...just cutting it down doesn't work, it becomes even more vigorous!! About the aloes, all I can do is heave a heavy sigh....:-D

Kazz
22-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Hmmm I was just thinking about seeds you lot are def mind reading now.
But still planting my mountain of bulbs........could be a while till I get those in. But the garden is bursting with life, plants coming up everywhere I may need to take lots of pics and then thin oout in the Autumn.......Alex stand by to be besieged by plant cuttings. ;)

Mags
22-04-2008, 12:23 PM
this year...what is everyone growing??

Older!!! :-D

Moli
22-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Older!!! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moli
22-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I have a aloe vera I got from my pal, and its having babies, lots of them!!!

angieh
22-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I would love to be able to sprinkle a few seeds about and just take pot luck, but unfortunately my ground is so stony that the poor things wouldn't stand a chance. So either I buy plants or raise them in seedtrays first. I was very successful with penstemon a few years ago - excellent "doers"!

dandysmom
22-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a aloe vera I got from my pal, and its having babies, lots of them!!!

Oh, they do, they do indeed! Ask Random! :-D

Speaking of babies (sorry, off topic), how are the fish?

tilly
22-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi
I am growing 2 sorts of baby carrots, leeks, red onions, french dwarf beans ( 2 sort on ethat climbs) and runner beans

Tilly

dandysmom
22-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi
I am growing 2 sorts of baby carrots, leeks, red onions, french dwarf beans ( 2 sort on ethat climbs) and runner beans

Tilly

I've never grown leeks, Tilly, so you do them from seed or sets? I like leeks but had never thought of growing them. Do they need a light soil?

tilly
22-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I am growing them from seed. Not sure of the soil as I am putting them in grow bags as it said you could. They are special fast growing ones that take 10-12 weeks. I have started them in seed tray in a green house as it is still quite cold and I didn't want them to die.
I will let you know how it goes.
I think I got them from homebase. I might also get some young leek plant as they sell them at my local garden centre.

Tilly

dandysmom
22-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Tilly! I'll look for some seed at the garden center; might be fun to do a row of them this year ..

My tomatoes are getting big, started them on march 17th. Usually May 1st is safe enough to set them out here..

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1334.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN1334.jpg