PDA

View Full Version : FeLV - Please help!!

Tina
21-04-2008, 12:38 AM
My young cat Mouse has been very ill with non-regenerative anemia (you may have seen me in other posts). When the anemia was diagnosed, she was also tested for FeLV and FIV.....both tests were negative at the vet's and the lab tested negative as well......so I think that means ELISA and IFA tests were negative. Now however, the vet has given me preliminary results of Mouse's bone marrow biopsy (still waitng on the core biopsy result which will confirm a definate diagnosis). Apparently there are signs that she may be FeLV positive.....but it's in the bone marrow tissues? How is this possible....would it not be in her blood as well??? It's not definate yet, but the vet said it may be this FeLV, and I'm really worried! Looks like Immune Mediated Erythroid Aplasia or Pure Red Cell Aplasia as well.

Anyone know if a cat can test negative for FeLV on TWO blood tests......but still be positive in the bone marrow test? And if so, does this mean she can still spread it? We have a 4 year old cat as well.....though both have all of their vaccinations INCLUDING FeLV.

Please help.....I'm so confused and worried!

charliebubs
21-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Tina,

I'm so sorry to hear what a rough time you're having at the moment :(

I'm no expert on FeLV but I do know that false results are common. So much so that the initial blood test is hardly ever reliable and it is suggested that you wait 12 weeks and then have a further blood test carried out.

Unfortunately even vaccinated cats can catch FeLV, as the vaccine is only a precaution rather than a complete block against the disease.

I'm sure that others will be online soon who can offer some more advice.

Lots of hugs to you in the meantime. xx

Tina
21-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I have read alot about false positive's, haven't ever read about a false negative though. Currently Mouse is still at home, energy levels low (as is to be expected) but eating and taking her steroids well. Hopefully the vet will ring soon and confirm exactly what's wrong and stop worrying me with the "may be/could be" stuff.

I'll post when I know for sure. Thanks for the kind words, they're appreciated!

charliebubs
21-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm sure you've done lots of reading on the net, but I have found this information which might be useful. It does say that false negatives can happen....

http://www.dr-addie.com/downloads/660_felv.pdf

angieh
21-04-2008, 01:09 PM
You and Mouse are having a really tough time, Tina. I really sympathise but I am sorry that I have no info or suggestions. I am glad that Mouse is at home with you. Lots of HUGS to you both.