PDA

View Full Version : What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?

angieh
20-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Following on from the Hitchcock birdies thread ............

Mine was the original version of The Fog - not the new one, which was nowhere near as spooky as the 1980 John Carpenter one.

What was yours? The one that made you leave your light on when you went to bed ................... :shock: :shock: :shock:

random
20-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't really find horror movies scary, just gory, not really fan, they just don't get me on the edge of my seat since I was a teenager and a lot of them compensate for crappy story lines with a lot of blood and guts and it's no compensation.

Ones I find scarier are true life stories or at least based on real life incidents, just because it really happened and could happen again, to anyone. Like last night for instance, I watched not a film but a true life CSI where a father murdered his wife and 2 kids, I kept my light on after that! :shock:

Mags
20-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I remember one from years ago but I can't remember its title. It was about a hand that played the piano and it used to walk on it's fingers ......real spooky, I used to dream about it for ages. :shock:

I have a feeling it might have been "The Beast with Five Fingers"

Moli
20-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I love horrors, but do not get spooked by them, I think The Ring was one of the best...

MrsH
20-04-2008, 11:43 PM
"The Shining" - soooo scary :smt103

or "Halloween" - watched this from behind a cushion!

yola
21-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I avoid scary films as I really don't like them; either the gory ones or the mind-mess ones.

Although not scary in the real sense; two films that made me keep the light on; The Elephant Man (which I saw for the 1st time when I was 15) and, by the same director, Eraserhead.

Mags
21-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I found Silence of the Lambs ok until the scenes with Hannibal Lectar ........ those chattering teeth used to chill me! :shock:

kado
21-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Mine was and is still Christine. The one about the car. I had nightmares about it.

jane

dandysmom
21-04-2008, 04:03 PM
It's Alien for me! And I vaguely remember that movie Mags mentioned about the disembodied hand; think that's the title. My best buddy told me he was so spooked by the pod people movie when he was a kid he was afraid to look under the bed ! ....

pinklizzy
21-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I can't even watch scary films! My sister loves them, loves the adrenaline rush she gets from being scared but I just don't enjoy it! The same reason I don't like rollercoasters etc.

EmmaG
21-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I liked the Ring, thought that was very good.

One film I couldn't watch the start of was the latest Saw movie, far too graphic for me.

babycakes
21-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I can't do scary films at all. The only ones I have caught a glimpse of was Halloween, poltergiest and Nightmare on Elm St. I haven't watched them all the way through but couldn't sleep for weeks. I used to pretend to watch them by looking just below the telly. :smt009

Seriously what gave me nightmares for years was the tune. 'Pack up your troubles in an old kit bag', from Saphirre and Steel!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smt088

Moli
21-04-2008, 09:46 PM
I liked the Ring, thought that was very good.

One film I couldn't watch the start of was the latest Saw movie, far too graphic for me.
I watched that a couple of weeks ago, and have to say it was nowhere as good as the first one, a bit disappointing...

angieh
22-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Gosh BC - you remember Saphire and Steel? You're not old enough surely???????????? :-D :-D :-D :-D :shock:

PoshPuss
26-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh, a mention of Sapphire and Steel!! :-) wasn't that fantastic, I loved it. And yes it was scary too, well, to an impressionable adolescent ... EH-EM!:-D
loved the roundheads and cavaliers episode too. Must try and see if I can get it on DVD.
Scary film, um, probably John Carpenters, The Thing. but scary person; the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, UGH!:shock:

Juli
23-06-2008, 12:37 PM
The child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang used to freak me out! And The Wicked Witch from Wizard of Oz!! Film i hated was Jeepers Creepers and the saw films, couldn't go swimming for ages after Jaws! (i was only about 10) and Arachnophbia had me checking the bathroom for spiders for months!!!!!

yola
23-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Sapphire and Steel, oh that takes me back! Johanna Lumley in the lovely floaty dress. The WW1 episode was scary, but so were several others. But that was nice scary . . .

Having come back to this thread again, there is only 1 film that I have started watching and couldn't finish. It was by Jennifer Lynch (daughter of David who directed Elephant Man + Eraserhead) and it was called Boxing Helena. I won't go into detail here - google it if you're interested, but it was the most sick, repulsive and twisted film I've ever started watching. I really scared me but from the perspective of how a director decides they want to present content such as that and call it entertainment.

debbie1512
30-06-2008, 06:29 PM
the only film that scared me was the exisist that was when i was about 12 year old. i havent been scared of any since

Darky
14-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a huge horror film buff. :D

My favourite at the moment is The Orphanage. (Spanish film.) More ghosty, not gorey.

Saw it at the cinema in London with my fiance and almost peed my pants.

yola
14-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Now that HAS to be the sign of a good film :D

Talking of Spanish films, what about the bit in Pan's Labyrinth when the girl goes into the room where the food is spread out on the table and eats something against the advice of the fairies :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes :shock:

Jac
14-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Mine has to be Pet Cemetery. It makes you really think, especially if you have lost a loved one.

Darky
14-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Now that HAS to be the sign of a good film :D

Talking of Spanish films, what about the bit in Pan's Labyrinth when the girl goes into the room where the food is spread out on the table and eats something against the advice of the fairies :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes :shock:

Oh I love Pan's Labyrinth. XD The Orphanage was 'presented' by the director of PL.

Also, the "spiritual prequel" to PL, The Devil's Backbone, is a wonderful ghost/horror film.

meep
30-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm a huge horror film buff. :D

My favourite at the moment is The Orphanage. (Spanish film.) More ghosty, not gorey.

I was going to mention the Orphanage myself. I'm a horror-junkie and do not scare easily at all, but this made me jump more than once. And I was alone in the flat later than night, and seriously couldn't sleep it was so scary thinking about it! But I also love that it has a really interesting and emotional plot, and left me feeling so sad and thoughtful aftewards too.

I'm pretty sure the guy who directed PL's also directed, as well as presented, The Orphanage.

Other than that, as a kid my childhood nightmare was ET :oops: I was terrified of him and had recurring nightmares! But I don't think he has the same effect on everyone else!