PDA

View Full Version : Peeing (same old subject)

scilla
20-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I have had my rescue Birman for about six weeks and she has been fine. She is 8 years old.

For the past two nights she has peed in the corner behind one of the chairs. She is going in the litter tray but not much. She seems a bit stressed and nervous. Not eating very well. Any tips? We haven't had her long but there's been no problems up til now and we can't think of any reason why this should happen. No other pets around or any other reason. She has spent the day today upstairs and won't come down. Any tips?

Scilla

yola
20-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Not sure . . . is she licking excessively? Has the vet checked her over? Is she bored maybe? Has there been a cat in the house previously whose smell she's trying to mask? Have you cleaned carpets recently so she's trying to put her smell back on? Just some random thoughts . . .

babycakes
20-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Same thoughts here too Yola, Maybe there is an infection, Maybe she has smelt a cat in the area peeing by your house or something has frightened her.

Have you thought of having an extra litter tray, maybe in the area she is peeing, or close that room off to her, if it is stress the get her a bed she can hide in (pyramid one or a cardboard box), or a feliaway diffuser to ease the stress.

Amber
20-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I would get her checked by a vet, it may be that she has a urine infection and has been in pain when passing urine, and that she now associates the litter tray with pain which is why she's not using it much and urinating in other areas.

It could be something entirely different but that is one of the symptoms we see quite a lot at the surgery.

scilla
21-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks all of you.

She didn't do it last night, but still won't stay downstairs, or eat much. She is licking herself a lot, but stayed as usual on the bottom of the bed during the night. It's just downstairs there's a problem. I will get her a cardboard box and try to get her some spray to calm her down. One thing, in her old home she was used to a catflap which we haven't got. I let her out once the other day with collar and lead just to have a go. She stayed out for five minutes and ran back inside. I haven't tried since. Is this the problem?

Scilla

yola
21-04-2008, 10:33 AM
It could be, Scilla. Each cat reacts differently and yours might be upset by the sights and smells of outdoors to the point where she is reinforcing her own territory by marking it with pee. If she's licking excessively it might be a sign of infection or blocked glands so just get the vet to have a quick look, just to be on the safe side.

Steph
21-04-2008, 06:37 PM
One thing, in her old home she was used to a catflap which we haven't got.

I think that goes a long way-she is used to going outside when she needs?