PDA

View Full Version : If I wait long enough.....

babycakes
20-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Maybe this bird will fall into my mouth
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/babycakes469/028.jpg

Moli
20-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Brilliant picture....did he get it???

charliebubs
20-04-2008, 06:08 PM
hahahaha - very good pic!!!!! You have to give them credit for trying!!!!

alexgirl73
20-04-2008, 06:28 PM
lol, the patience of a saint!

dandysmom
20-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Hope springs eternal!! What a great pic! He is a patient boy ........

babycakes
20-04-2008, 09:08 PM
He waits there all day long. The birds tease him, I think they know he's on a lead, it makes the neighbours laugh a lot...

dandysmom
20-04-2008, 10:37 PM
BC, tell him not to give up! My Misty was a terrible hunter (thank goodness!); she would sit in the garden in plain sight and chitter at the birds because they refused to leave the tree and let her catch them. Well, one day she was sitting in the shade under the peony bush and an idiot sparrow landed not a foot from her....the one and only bird she ever caught in her life...she was very proud of herself!

babycakes
20-04-2008, 11:09 PM
He has caught two birds in the past and a variety of moles, shrews, mice and frogs. He is so patient it's unbelievable last year he sat guarding a mole hole at the end of garden for an entire summer!!! He got two, which is very sad for the moles but nature I suppose.

angieh
20-04-2008, 11:14 PM
It's amazing to watch their patience, isn't it? Not a muscle moving, just the very tip of the tail giving the occasional twitch!

dandysmom
20-04-2008, 11:42 PM
He has caught two birds in the past and a variety of moles, shrews, mice and frogs. He is so patient it's unbelievable last year he sat guarding a mole hole at the end of garden for an entire summer!!! He got two, which is very sad for the moles but nature I suppose.

Oh wow, he is a good hunter! And in his harness too! Sorry for the moles, but people with neatly groomed lawns probably would be pleased .....

Kay
21-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Awww bless him. Brilliant pic.

Janeburd
13-05-2008, 07:16 AM
BC, tell him not to give up! My Misty was a terrible hunter (thank goodness!); she would sit in the garden in plain sight and chitter at the birds because they refused to leave the tree and let her catch them. Well, one day she was sitting in the shade under the peony bush and an idiot sparrow landed not a foot from her....the one and only bird she ever caught in her life...she was very proud of herself!
I would love to know why cats DO chitter at birds if anyone knows ?

dandysmom
13-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Good question, and I really don't know why! All of mine have done it; I suspect it's just frustration at being unable to catch the bird.....

Any other ideas?

Edited: found this on CatsAbout link

Ever see a cat zeroing in on a bird he sees through the window? Suddenly there's a great deal of clicking of teeth, sometimes combined with an ack-ack gutteral noise that you've never before heard your cat make. This behavior is called "chattering" and it even has the experts stumped. Perhaps it's nothing but frustration, as the cat obviously would like to make a meal of the bird. Sometimes they actually salivate while carrying on, so this explanation could be a good guess. (http://www.catsey.com/Ever%20see%20a%20cat%20zeroing%20in%20on%20a%20bir d%20he%20sees%20through%20the%20window?%20Suddenly %20there%27s%20a%20great%20deal%20of%20clicking%20 of%20teeth,%20sometimes%20combined%20with%20an%20a ck-ack%20gutteral%20noise%20that%20you%27ve%20never%2 0before%20heard%20your%20cat%20make.%20This%20beha vior%20is%20called%20)

angieh
13-05-2008, 04:46 PM
messybeast agrees with you Eileen!

"Chatter - excitement, frustration e.g. when prey is out of reach or escapes (involves rapid teeth-chattering jaw movements)."

http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk.htm

Both Merlin and Smudge (gone but remembered fondly) used to sit on the window sill and chatter at the birds on the feeders. I heard or read somewhere that a veterinary hospital in USA did some research on convalescent cats and found that those who were shown videos of birds seemed to perk up quicker than those who were not shown the videos!

babycakes
13-05-2008, 07:19 PM
All my cats have chattered to birds but some have done it in frustration at lights etc too.

Denis doesn't do it all the time but then I think he thinks he's a dog not a cat... and he hasn't learnt how to be quiet and sneak about like a cat. When he goes out he runs around the garden crying as though he is saying 'I'm here everyone I'm here' and if he jumps down from something the noise is as though he is going to come through the floor!!

dandysmom
13-05-2008, 07:51 PM
All my cats have chattered to birds but some have done it in frustration at lights etc too.

Denis doesn't do it all the time but then I think he thinks he's a dog not a cat... and he hasn't learnt how to be quiet and sneak about like a cat. When he goes out he runs around the garden crying as though he is saying 'I'm here everyone I'm here' and if he jumps down from something the noise is as though he is going to come through the floor!!

That's always amused me! They can jump into or out of the bed as lightly as a feather wafting down, or as heavily as if someone dropped a ten pound bag of flour! And coming down the stairs sometimes Leia (and her predecessors) sound like the Russian army invading... kaTHUMP, kaTHUMP, kaTHUMP.... :roll: :-D

Cats ..don't you love 'em?!

babycakes
13-05-2008, 08:04 PM
[/B]

That's always amused me! They can jump into or out of the bed as lightly as a feather wafting down, or as heavily as if someone dropped a ten pound bag of flour! And coming down the stairs sometimes Leia (and her predecessors) sound like the Russian army invading... kaTHUMP, kaTHUMP, kaTHUMP.... :roll: :-D

Cats ..don't you love 'em?!

Most definitely do :lol: :cool:

angieh
13-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Absolutely positively!:smt049

Janeburd
14-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Haha , ahhh bless .